Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So have you ever seen a true, bona fide, now dead music legend play live?!!

Comments

• Saw T.Rex at the rainbow (supported by the Damned) - one of his last shows. 70's legend.
  • Saw Queen several times, always blew me away with the energy and their stage show, so Freddie is my dead legend that I saw.
  • Frank Zappa several times.
  • edited January 2012

Almost too many to mention.........but have to say Hendrix, Lennon, Harrison, Marley, Entwhistle, Moon and Barrett are undoubtedly the most iconic.......... not forgetting Brian Jones of course.

• Ooh...Phil Lynot, Steve Marriott, John Entwhistle, Keith Moon, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Gary Moore, Freddie Murcury...the list is endless
  • Ray Charles, Gil Scott Heron, John Martyn, Bert Jansch, Kate Mcgarrigle, among many.
  • Nirvana at the Reading Festival 92 when they rolled out Kurt to the stage in a wheelchair. A classic set from Nirvana and never forget when they started playing Bostons More Than a Feeling and segueing it into Teen Spirit.
  • Harry Chapin at the Rainbow
  •  Gil Scott Heron, John Martyn, Bert Jansch, Kate Mcgarrigle, among many.
    Did you not read the title of the thread?
  • edited January 2012
     Gil Scott Heron, John Martyn, Bert Jansch, Kate Mcgarrigle, among many.
    Did you not read the title of the thread?
    yes, all legends.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jimi Hendrix
    Tim Hardin
    Frank Zappa
    Marc Bolan
    John Martyn
    Keith Moon
    Ian Dury
    Gram Parsons

Missed seeing Jeff Buckley in a record store because the Missus wanted to carry on shopping!!! (Loved Tim Buckley)
  • Frank Tovey.
  • Amongst others Billy Fury, Ricky Nelson, Del Shannon, and, most memorably Eddie Cochrane.
  • Saw Michael Jackson at Wembley doing the Dangerous tour.
  • Freddie Mercury, Ian Dury, Stuart Adamson, John Martyn, Gary Moore, Joe Strummer (many times).
  • Nirvana at the Reading Festival 92 when they rolled out Kurt to the stage in a wheelchair. A classic set from Nirvana and never forget when they started playing Bostons More Than a Feeling and segueing it into Teen Spirit.
    I was there as well
  • Interesting thread. Sadly my list is extensive and includes many of the people mentioned. Saw James Brown twice in one week - oh, I felt good after that.

John Bonham (surely the greatest drummer), Cozy Powell (hmm - he was pretty good too), Keith Moon (now hang on a minute!). John Entwistle, Joe Strummer, Freddy Mercury (free Hyde Park Festival), Junior Wells, Gary Moore, George Harrison, Ian Dury, Phil Lynott (with Thin Lizzy and later with Yellow Peril). I'll end there as I need a comfort break.
  • Carl Perkins
    Screaming Jay Hawkins
    Slim Gaillard
    Cab Calloway
    Pookie Hudson

And lots and lots of Rockabilly legends who would mean sweet FA to most people on this board...
    Blimey where did you see him ?
  • Ok - so hands up those who saw...

Link Wray
    Sandy Denny
    Arthur Lee & Love (the first time round)
    the original UK Nirvana
    The Byrds
    CSNY
    Captain Beefheart

I realise this thread is aimed at the elder statesmen on this forum ;-)

• I saw INXS twice and one of these was the most amazing gig ever during the 'Get out of The House' tour at Brixton Academy. INXS were so huge that in order to get tickets you had to have bought the album to find out what newspaper to read on what day, in order to get a voucher, in order to make a phonecall, in order to know where to go to get tickets. To buy the tickets you had to get to HMV at Piccadilly Circus within a one hour time-frame. The consequence of these demands on any wanton ticket holder was that the only people at Brixton Academy that night were big INXS fans. It was an amazing night: Michael Hutchence was a great stage presence, everyone went mental and at the end I took of my T-shirt and wrang the sweat out, creating a puddle on the floor. A night I will never forget. Michael Hutchence RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2012
    As usual this thread has degenerated into a let's see who come up with the most obscure name and I'm soooo cool becasue I can name people 99% of others have never heard of....... Good God do you not realise how BORING you are? A legend is not the like of

:

Slim Gaillard<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Cab Calloway

Pookie Hudson

Link Wray

Sandy Denny

Gil Scott Heron,

John Martyn

Bert Jansch

Kate Mcgarrigle

And
    we haven't even heard from Benjaman yet!
  • edited January 2012
     Freddie and The Dreamers

RIP Freddie Garrity
  • As usual this thread has degenerated into a let's see who come up with the most obscure name and I'm soooo cool becasue I can name people 99% of others have never heard of....... Good God do you not realise how BORING you are? A legend is not the like of

:

Slim Gaillard

Cab Calloway

Pookie Hudson

Link Wray

Sandy Denny

Gil Scott Heron,

John Martyn

Bert Jansch

Kate Mcgarrigle

And
    we haven't even heard from Benjaman yet!
    only on the 2nd day of 2012 & already a hands down winner for most stupid post of the year - well done Chirps, this board would be a dull place without you.
  • It certainly would.
  • A few no one else has mentioned

John Lee Hooker
    Albert King
    Alexis Korner
    Frank Sinatra
  • I saw Ou Est Le Swimming Pool before the feller jumped off a phone mast at Pukkelpop.
  • Bill Haley
    Steve Marriott
    Johnny Thunders
    Kurt C
    And many more.
  • edited January 2012

Actually I find myself agreeing with Chirpy in this instance...........don't worry folks that wont last long. LOL.

Some of the names being mentioned are quite ridiculous, we are talking about true 'top drawer' Heavyweight Rock Legends here........some of the names mentioned I've never even (or barely) heard of!

• Carl Perkins
    Screaming Jay Hawkins
    Slim Gaillard
    Cab Calloway
    Pookie Hudson

And lots and lots of Rockabilly legends who would mean sweet FA to most people on this board...
    Jay Hawkins on a Frday night at the Black Cat Club by Woolwich Arsenal station, mid-60s,  Carl Perkins at Woolwich Granada, 1964, sharing the bill with Chuck Berry, Cab Calloway, New Orleans, 1981....would love to have seen Pookie & the Spaniels!
  • I saw James Brown play before he passed, BRILLIANT performer!