Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good memories of Jason Euell

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cause Palace never put a bid in was my understanding
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]so what do you do ?

moan and sulk about it, or get your head down and work your arse off to prove him wrong ?

I don't think he was given the chance to be honest. I know it went sour and when he did eventually come back into the team he looked disinterested but it was a long long time before he was given another chance, by that time I'd imagine he had zero inclination to play for Curbishley.

As I recall after we turned down £2.5m for him he still regularly failed to make even the squad - why didn't we take the money?
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Not buying this Curbishley ruined him argument.

He was dropped after a sending off and was never the same player again. Completely lost his way and could barely trap a ball by the end of it. All footballers get dropped or have spells out of the side at some stage, its how you react that's important. Curbs isn't stupid, if Euell was shining in training and in the ressies, then he would of got back in pronto.

He was a decent player on form, not brilliant though, and when off form was awful.

So why did Curbisley turn down a £2.5m bid from palace for him?

If you don't rate a player or he's not doing the business, fair enough get rid, but to turn down decent bids for him and let him rot in the reserves was totally unnecessary.

If that's not ruining a player, then I don't know what is!!

Curbs must have hoped he could turn Euell round when refusing the Palace offer.

He would have realised that he was cutting his nose off to spite his face, given the stringent transfer budget he had, if he turned the offer down for any other reason.

The sad thing is, despite the good stuff written above, the enduring memory of him for many will be his slouching around, hands tucked in shorts, looking totally disinterested in that last season.
  • Options
    tight git. Was on our table at the POTY 1st year and all he did was whinge and moan about Curbs. Didn't buy us a drink, miserable tight git. Compare to Andy Hunt who was 1st class as was his wife. Chatted about anything and everything, insisted on buying us a couple of drinks, and then, much later, before going home he and his wife came to seek us out and thank us for a good eveniong and say goodbye. Top man. I think when players come into the pro game late and have had a proper job first they appreciate. Unlike others.
  • Options
    my main memory of Jason Euell was the fun to be had winding up "charlton_fan" on Netaddicks, who absolutely hated him & let us all know this in every post he made
  • Options
    Wasnt he being touted about as due an England call up because of his goal scoring from MF for us?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]my main memory of Jason Euell was the fun to be had winding up "charlton_fan" on Netaddicks, who absolutely hated him & let us all know this in every post he made

LOL yes, that was enjoyable. He really hated Euell didn't he.
  • Options
    it wasn't so much his goal against blackburn for me, but the atmosphere around the valley when it flew in from all of 25 / 30 yards. the ground was absolutely rocking under lights, just one of those many special nights!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]my memory is of a striker who come to us, who couldn't hit a barn door, but the crowd were patient and supportive towards him, and eventually found his feet.

So after months of scorn & abuse, McLeod gets sold for a cut price fee to QPR and scores a hat-trick in the next game he plays against us.

Or we give him a proper chance & get behind him - and he scores a hat-trick the next time we play QPR.

;o)
  • Options
    If i remember rightly didn't he have a whole load of family problems as in the death of a child or something...???!?!?

soon after that story he went very pear shaped. Didn't play for a few games etc...

i might be wrong tho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, he did. (As mentioned above his newborn child tragically died).

As I recall, other than obviously missing a game or two shortly after the bereavement this didn't have an adverse impact on his form for us though...
  • Options
    Didn't he volunteer to play in the Chelsea away game (Lisbie scored a last minute winner) a week later?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Yes, he did. (As mentioned above his newborn child tragically died).

As I recall, other than obviously missing a game or two shortly after the bereavement this didn't have an adverse impact on his form for us though...

At the time he spoke very well about the amount of support and help he had had from the club and fans. I'm fairly sure it was only 2 of 3 weeks before he played again.
  • Options
    So to summise the 42 posts above,

he is absolute gash, yet is locked on to score against us tomorrow......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]So to summise the 42 posts above,

he is absolute gash, yet is locked on to score against us tomorrow......

9-1 for first goal. 11-4 anytime scorer.
  • Options
    he wont score against us LOCKED ON FACT
  • Options
    Jason Euell questioned Curb's tactics and training methods infront of the other players at Sparrows Lane. This led to a shouting match and we never really saw him again.

I loved him as a player (but then I loved Matt Svensson too).
  • Options
    Didn't he score a blinder when we beat spurs 3-0 at home?
  • Options
    was a massive reason why we stayed in the PL for so long and was an excellent signing. Double figures top stuff.
  • Options
    Wasn't there a story that Bobby Robson when he was at Newcastle asked his chief scout to go to Wimbledon to look at Euell, only he couldn't remember his name and said he "plays centre forward and is black etc", that match Wimbledon dropped Euell into midfield and played Carl Cort up front, who scored a goal and ended up at Newcastle not much later instead of Euell?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember the penalty he scored when we lost 6-1 to Leeds lol
  • Options
    Can't believe that no one has mentioned his brace at home to Chelsea 2-1
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    His first touch was very very poor and his BabyBentley attitude stunk for about a season.

And whichever genius (prolly Curbs) sent him down to Dover for a testimonial the day before he was meant to join Birmingham for £1M should've been sacked. Agree Curbs did help to ruin his career.

I liked him for a while but felt the money went to his head, which was a shame.

How anyone can say he was an excellent signing for £4M is beyond me.

He played 155 games for Charlton, scoring only 37 goals. £4M??

What next JJ was underrated? lol