Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good memories of Jason Euell

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
It went pear shaped in the end, but it is easy to forget that Jason was a star for us for about three seasons. Before he scores aganist us on Saturday, anyone got any good memories?

How about that drive he lashed in in injury time against Blackburn years ago, I think we had started really badly and that was a great victory. The days of Parker, Rufus, Kiely, Fish etc..

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2007
    oh bugger, another one to score against us.

*runs down bookies and chucks a monkey on Jason Euell to score*
  • Options
    my memory is of a striker who come to us, who couldn't hit a barn door, but the crowd were patient and supportive towards him, and eventually found his feet.
  • Options
    Really top player, people forget how many goals and what a difference he made to the team over a good while
  • Options
    Two years in a row he was our top scorer from midfield and was only outscored pires and scholes if you are looking at goal scoring midfielders
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]my memory is of a striker who come to us, who couldn't hit a barn door, but the crowd were patient and supportive towards him, and eventually found his feet.
    brilliant point
    [cite]Posted By: randy_andy[/cite]Two years in a row he was our top scorer from midfield and was only outscored pires and scholes if you are looking at goal scoring midfielders
    didnt realise that - excellent
  • Options
    Fondest memory is of my son, then about 4. Di Canio pushed a ball thru towards the JSS and Euell ran on to it beating the off side trap. As he opened his body to slot home I heard Joe say "Go on Jase!". I thought, yeah he's really got this football lark.

Good player who worked hard for the team. You don't get to be top scorer three years on the trot, even in our low scoring side without having something.
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]my memory is of a striker who come to us, who couldn't hit a barn door, but the crowd were patient and supportive towards him, and eventually found his feet.

Are you trying to make a point there AFKA : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Are you trying to make a point there AFKA : - )
    We should have kept Lisbie?
  • Options
    I was always dubious about his actual footballing ability, his first touch for example was terrible but he won me over in the end. Worked for the team and his goalscoring record speaks for itself. I thought he made the most of what he had and was treated terribly by Curbs.

Loved his goal in the Chelsea 4-2 on Boxing Day and the one against Arsenal at Highbury.

Also seem to recall him sponsoring the matchball every week when he first joined?!
  • Options
    His already scored against us , up at Old Trafford on Curb's last game. Seemed pretty ironic Euell scoring an og on Curb's last game, considering their fall out.

Joking aside, i hope he get's a good clap on Saturday from all that go to the game.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    the fourth goal at highbury, nov 2001, in the memorable 4-2 win when he beat the offside trap and tucked it nicely past richard wright a proper proper loop beating a proper football team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with PitL, they were great goals.

Also remember how sympathetic the fans were to him when he had his "tragic moment" just after he joined
  • Options
    the 2 he scored agains west ham in the 4 v 4 seem to stick out for me.
  • Options
    The performance against Chelsea when he returned after the problems that season was huge, gave a young John Terry shed loads of problems.
  • Options
    Remember getting very drunk with a few off here before the Exeter cup game, the Anchor opened at 9am for us, and then spent most of the game singing Jason Euell to the Doctor Who song
  • Options
    Jason's heart made up for his lack of skill. When Curbs knocked the heart out of him he became a very average player. Having said that I'm sure his Bentley will be 1st in for training this week because this is a game he'll be up for.
  • Options
    saints fans have not taken to him from what i have heard on things like 606
  • Options
    Think the two he got, the second a lob over Cudicini in injury time, to beat Chelsea 2-1 at the Valley is my fondest memory of Jason.
  • Options
    'm sure he scored a good one against Arsenal once, ball come in from the right and he caught it first time on the half volley to the keepers left ??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Jason's heart made up for his lack of skill. When Curbs knocked the heart out of him he became a very average player. Having said that I'm sure his Bentley will be 1st in for training this week because this is a game he'll be up for.

Curbishley really did ruin him.

Best memory is definetly the Blackburn thunderbolt that Salad mentioned. Great goal.
  • Options
    He took time to settle then scored a screamer for his first away at Derby, on the volley that dipped over their keeper just as I finished shouting "Don't shoot from there!"

Then he had that awful family thing where his newborn child died, finally when he reappeared he was able to get on with his career. Not the best "player" but for a long time he was great for us and without his goals we would have been in the poo. Seemed a genuine top bloke as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a great player initially but him leaving was a good memory...does that count ?
  • Options
    Euell did well to be top scorer 3 years on the trot even though a few were pens.

He and Lisbie were ok together and both had the merit of being willing and mobile enough to track back and defend.

In other words we defended from the front which enabled us to play a reasonably attacking 4-4-2 without exposing the midfield and defence.
  • Options
    Not buying this Curbishley ruined him argument.

He was dropped after a sending off and was never the same player again. Completely lost his way and could barely trap a ball by the end of it. All footballers get dropped or have spells out of the side at some stage, its how you react that's important. Curbs isn't stupid, if Euell was shining in training and in the ressies, then he would of got back in pronto.

He was a decent player on form, not brilliant though, and when off form was awful.
  • Options
    I've never bought into that either.
  • Options
    Yes the one against Derby was sweet.
    Always fought to get the ball back if he had lost it, that's what I remember most about him..
  • Options
    Nope, thought about it for 2 hours and nothing is coming back to me.....
  • Options
    I always got the impression that Curbs froze Euell out for non football reasons.

I don't know how accurate that was though.....
  • Options
    same here PitL, and i don't think he was the first..
  • Options
    so what do you do ?

moan and sulk about it, or get your head down and work your arse off to prove him wrong ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Not buying this Curbishley ruined him argument.

He was dropped after a sending off and was never the same player again. Completely lost his way and could barely trap a ball by the end of it. All footballers get dropped or have spells out of the side at some stage, its how you react that's important. Curbs isn't stupid, if Euell was shining in training and in the ressies, then he would of got back in pronto.

He was a decent player on form, not brilliant though, and when off form was awful.

So why did Curbisley turn down a £2.5m bid from palace for him?

If you don't rate a player or he's not doing the business, fair enough get rid, but to turn down decent bids for him and let him rot in the reserves was totally unnecessary.

If that's not ruining a player, then I don't know what is!!