Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

bob dylan

13»

Comments

• Options

Nadou said:

Of course, it all depends on what people mean by 'good' singing. Personally I find that lots of singers with 'perfect' voices leave me cold. For me it 's all about what the singer does with his voice to make the listener feel the emotions of the songs. I think that Dylan engages beautifully with this song from his current tour and that, wobbly notes and all, makes me, at least, feel what he's singing about. I find it very moving:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMuzXOAYEA

as far as I can recall, this is the first time I have ever seen or heard Dylan singing a song that is not his own composition, or at least one which he has adapted and modified as his own
    There are a few albums that are almost entirely covers:
    Good as I Been to You - 1992
    World Gone Wrong - 1993
    Christmas in the Heart - 2009
    Shadows in the Night - 2015
    Fallen Angels - 2016
  • Options
    As a "songwriter/lyricist" then Old Bob has down pretty well.

But it must be a shame - to him - that a lot of his songs have been done so much better by someone else. Coincidence? Maybe. But maybe not.
  • Options
    Can he manage a football team?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

But it must be a shame - to him - that a lot of his songs have been done so much better by someone else. Coincidence? Maybe. But maybe not.

You're so wrong.
  • Options
    LLMTP said:

Nadou said:

Of course, it all depends on what people mean by 'good' singing. Personally I find that lots of singers with 'perfect' voices leave me cold. For me it 's all about what the singer does with his voice to make the listener feel the emotions of the songs. I think that Dylan engages beautifully with this song from his current tour and that, wobbly notes and all, makes me, at least, feel what he's singing about. I find it very moving:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMuzXOAYEA

as far as I can recall, this is the first time I have ever seen or heard Dylan singing a song that is not his own composition, or at least one which he has adapted and modified as his own
    There are a few albums that are almost entirely covers:
    Good as I Been to You - 1992
    World Gone Wrong - 1993
    Christmas in the Heart - 2009
    Shadows in the Night - 2015
    Fallen Angels - 2016
    Not to mention, the self titled debut album
  • Options
    I can only repeat my own personal experience of seeing him at the Hop Farm a few years ago.

He mumbled his way through the set. I couldn't understand a word of it. It was bloody awful.

Great songwriter though!
  • Options

I can only repeat my own personal experience of seeing him at the Hop Farm a few years ago.

He mumbled his way through the set. I couldn't understand a word of it. It was bloody awful.

Great songwriter though!

We saw Neil Young there a few years ago and felt the same about the sound quality. I thought it was more to do with the sound set up and the wind dissipating the sound than Neil's voice, maybe the same with Dylan?
    On a different note, my friend dated/showed him the sights of Birmingham on one of his early visits. Her dad was Mayor of Birmingham and she was asked to 'occupy' Dylan whilst staying there. Wish I had known her then, lucky girl.
  • Options
    Never done anything for me I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Not a huge fan, but my hero Elvis did a cover of Dont Think Twice, Its alright, a very long version

https://youtu.be/kxCCNY4A68M
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Stig said:

bobmunro said:

A musical genius and without equal - quite simply the greatest songwriter/poet of the 20th century.

Great song writer? Certainly. Genius? Quite possibly. Without equal? Not really. It is of course highly subjective; one listeners' great songs will another's old dross. Dylan may be the best (he isn't in my opinion but clearly is in the eyes of many) but to suggest he is without equal is hyperbole to the point of folly and is demeaning to many other greats. Are you seriously suggesting that not one person on the following list, or from any other list of greats, isn't up there with Zimmerman?

Damon Albarn
    Benny Andersson
    Chuck Berry
    David Bowie
    Johnny Cash
    Nick Cave
    Jarvis Cocker
    Leonard Cohen
    Hal David
    Ray Davies
    Merle Haggard
    Oscar Hammerstein
    Eddie Holland
    Berry Gordy
    Woody Guthrie
    Mick Jagger
    Robert Johnson
    Stevland Judkins
    Jerome Kern
    Jerry Leiber
    John Lennon
    Marshall Mathers
    Paul McCartney
    Joni Mitchell
    Stephen Morrisey
    Prince Nelson
    Willie Nelson
    Cole Porter
    Keith Richards
    Neil Sedaka
    Tupac Shakur
    Paul Simon
    Patti Smith
    Richard Stilgoe
    Bernie Taupin
    Björn Ulvaeus
    Tom Waits
    Roger Waters
    Kurt Weil
    Paul Weller
    Hank Williams
    Neil Young
    Shane McGowan
    Only his mum calls him Stephen Morrissey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    N
    iainment said:

Off_it said:

You're so wrong.
    I know that, generally, but can you be more specific?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

That's like saying an author wrote a good novel - and then someone else made into a great film.

• Options
    Here's a list of great Dylan vocal performances:

Corinna, Corinna (Freewheelin')
    One Too Many Mornings (Times They Are...)
    Moonshiner (recorded in 1963, released on the Bootleg Series vols 1 - 3)
    Spanish Is the Loving Tongue (piano version, B side of Watching the River Flow, 1970)
    Mozambique (Desire)
    Blind Willie McTell (recorded in 1983, released on the Bootleg Series vols 1 - 3)
    Shenandoah (Down in the groove)
    Ring Them Bells (Oh Mercy)
    Lone Pilgrim (World Gone Wrong)
    Not Dark Yet (Time Out of Mind)
    Moonlight (Love and Theft)
    Full Moon and Empty Arms (Shadows in the night)
  • Options
    Bump for Dylan's Nobel prize
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    BBC Radio 4 .. this week (from 17/5/21) ..  weekdays at 13.45 .. Bob Dylan at 80 .. 5x 15 minute programmes .. catch up on BBC Sounds
  • Options
    This program was recorded in 2015 when Dylan's 'Highway 61' album celebrated its 50th birthday. 

Currently available on BBC Sounds - an enjoyable listen to me - but to those who speak of Dylan in hushed tones an absolute must. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b06gtk2l 
  • Options
    Am a Dylan fan.  Saw him a few years back at the O2 (have seen him 2-3 times in the past) and his voice wasn't great (some will say has never been) and his audience interaction was non-existant.  Wouldn't stop me going again...except the Palladium tickets in October seem to start at £318....which seems a bit oof a piss take!
  • Options
    I got my tickets for the Palladium on presale for £87. He’s not great in big venues, I also saw him at the O2 and was dreadful, but have seen him several times in smaller venues and the Albert Hall and was superb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone who likes him and has listened to his latest album and heard recordings of his recent US tour will be begging for tickets. I got great tickets at the Palladium for £138.
  • Options
    I think I've said this on this forum before, but I saw him a few years ago at the Hop Farm & honestly, I don't have the words to describe how awful he was.

I struggled to recognise what a lot of the songs were as he mumbled his way through the set.

A great songwriter, but has been a dreadful live performer for a while now
  • Options
    Yes he was awful at the Hop Farm and he's been awful at other times when I've seen him. I remember a run of shows at Hammersmith Odeon in 1990 every one of which was great. The following year at the same venue - he did 4 awful shows and three mediocre ones in a row. In Bologna, one year, he was so bad he could barely find the microphone! But the following evening in Milan he was terrific. With Dylan, that's the price you pay - he is not a slick performer giving an identical performance each time. He explores his backlist every time - sometimes it works brilliantly and sometimes it fails dismally. If you go wanting him to sing the songs as he did on the album you will be disappointed As I said above, the tour that he just finished in the USA was uniformly terrific. It was a show that mostly included the songs  from his Rough and Rowdy Ways album with about six songs from earlier in his career. His singing voice is largely shot nowadays but his has developed a sing/speak voice which, when he's on form, can cut to the heart of his songs and convey new insights into his peerless lyrics each time you see him. And he is sing/speaking with clarity and care at the moment (there are examples of this on YouTube - this one will give you an idea if you'd like what he's doing or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6HK40lkCo)

He's definitely a marmite artist but, in my opinion, he's the greatest of my lifetime. I've got tickets for all four of the Palladium shows and I can't wait.
  • Options
    going to see him now would be like gong to see an old masterpiece painting or an ancient treasure exhibition at a museum, or more mundanely, just a sweet nostalgia trip .. you won't be paying to hear great renditions of his greatest songs
  • Options
    I have been an admirer of Dylan from day 1,i finally went to see him at the 02 about 15 years ago,how I wish I had not gone.He just bumbled his way through the set and seemed to me bored with the whole process.He did not pick up a guitar all night,just played the keyboards.My only way out of this was to play some of his music,and some of the great songs he wrote sung by others,and blot this awful show from memory,it worked and my admiration remains un diminished.
  • Options
    I wouldn’t go to see him. A great song writer and, in his day, had an iconic voice but that is long gone now. I’d rather listen to his recordings which are far more polished. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    I wouldn’t go to see him. A great song writer and, in his day, had an iconic voice but that is long gone now. I’d rather listen to his recordings which are far more polished. 
    This.
  • Options
    First saw him at Hammersmith I think. About 15 odd years ago. Thought he was poor. Love his music. One of his songs would be one of my desert island discs. 
    Saw him a couple of times since.

One which has been mentioned is at Hyde Park with Neil young. Neil was incredible, Dylan not. Seen Neil once before at Hyde Park and he was great then with one of my favorite bands the national doing the support who as always were excellent.