Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

bob dylan

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

Dad went to a few about 5 years back but I never had the inclination to join him.

Wish I had bothered now as The Zimmerman isn't going to become more coherent with age.

I think he is actually singing better now than he was five years ago when he was really not very good. He is singing a lot of songs originally sung by Sinatra and that is making him make more of an effort.
  • Options
    Perhaps oddly because I like the slightly bizarre in my music, I was never a fan or even an occasional listener. But I listened to Modern Times on a Virgin flight and bought the album. As said earlier, it is a fine album. Nonetheless he remains a "hit & miss" singer - some good, some dross.
  • Options
    Hes written some good songs (when covered by others), but cant stand his awful nasal whining, and how everyone treats him with such mesiac reverence. He was also one from memory, who stank at Live Aid along with the foghorn impersonating Patti Labelle.
  • Options
    Halix said:

Hes written some good songs (when covered by others), but cant stand his awful nasal whining, and how everyone treats him with such mesiac reverence. He was also one from memory, who stank at Live Aid along with the foghorn impersonating Patti Labelle.

I remember seeing an animated short called Mesiac. It was quite good and it's theme kind of makes sense in your post
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    bobmunro said:

A musical genius and without equal - quite simply the greatest songwriter/poet of the 20th century.

Great song writer? Certainly. Genius? Quite possibly. Without equal? Not really. It is of course highly subjective; one listeners' great songs will another's old dross. Dylan may be the best (he isn't in my opinion but clearly is in the eyes of many) but to suggest he is without equal is hyperbole to the point of folly and is demeaning to many other greats. Are you seriously suggesting that not one person on the following list, or from any other list of greats, isn't up there with Zimmerman?

Damon Albarn
    Benny Andersson
    Chuck Berry
    David Bowie
    Johnny Cash
    Nick Cave
    Jarvis Cocker
    Leonard Cohen
    Hal David
    Ray Davies
    Merle Haggard
    Oscar Hammerstein
    Eddie Holland
    Berry Gordy
    Woody Guthrie
    Mick Jagger
    Robert Johnson
    Stevland Judkins
    Jerome Kern
    Jerry Leiber
    John Lennon
    Marshall Mathers
    Paul McCartney
    Joni Mitchell
    Stephen Morrisey
    Prince Nelson
    Willie Nelson
    Cole Porter
    Keith Richards
    Neil Sedaka
    Tupac Shakur
    Paul Simon
    Patti Smith
    Richard Stilgoe
    Bernie Taupin
    Björn Ulvaeus
    Tom Waits
    Roger Waters
    Kurt Weil
    Paul Weller
    Hank Williams
    Neil Young
  • Options
    Of course, it all depends on what people mean by 'good' singing. Personally I find that lots of singers with 'perfect' voices leave me cold. For me it 's all about what the singer does with his voice to make the listener feel the emotions of the songs. I think that Dylan engages beautifully with this song from his current tour and that, wobbly notes and all, makes me, at least, feel what he's singing about. I find it very moving:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMuzXOAYEA
  • Options
    Stig said:

bobmunro said:

A musical genius and without equal - quite simply the greatest songwriter/poet of the 20th century.

Great song writer? Certainly. Genius? Quite possibly. Without equal? Not really. It is of course highly subjective; one listeners' great songs will another's old dross. Dylan may be the best (he isn't in my opinion but clearly is in the eyes of many) but to suggest he is without equal is hyperbole to the point of folly and is demeaning to many other greats. Are you seriously suggesting that not one person on the following list, or from any other list of greats, isn't up there with Zimmerman?

Damon Albarn
    Benny Andersson
    Chuck Berry
    David Bowie
    Johnny Cash
    Nick Cave
    Jarvis Cocker
    Leonard Cohen
    Hal David
    Ray Davies
    Merle Haggard
    Oscar Hammerstein
    Eddie Holland
    Berry Gordy
    Woody Guthrie
    Mick Jagger
    Robert Johnson
    Stevland Judkins
    Jerome Kern
    Jerry Leiber
    John Lennon
    Marshall Mathers
    Paul McCartney
    Joni Mitchell
    Stephen Morrisey
    Prince Nelson
    Willie Nelson
    Cole Porter
    Keith Richards
    Neil Sedaka
    Tupac Shakur
    Paul Simon
    Patti Smith
    Richard Stilgoe
    Bernie Taupin
    Björn Ulvaeus
    Tom Waits
    Roger Waters
    Kurt Weil
    Paul Weller
    Hank Williams
    Neil Young
    Shane McGowan
  • Options
    genius as a youth .. now just another clever ol fecker .. seriously, the man who changed rock music forever, 'protest', lyricism .. everything
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Bob and many more of them, for me one of the greats
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I hated the nasal sound but the lyrics, the depth of imagination, the spiritual aspect and the ability to play musical instruments represented pure Genius plus he encouraged young people to find their voice. . Happy birthday.
  • Options
    A big hero of mine.

Happy birthday Bobby.
  • Options
    Bringing it all back home, highway 61 revisited and blonde on blonde - all written and recorded over 18 months. Unsurpassed.
  • Options
    His 'Chronicles' book is excellent. A kind of fake biography. Like Tom Waits his voice is now an acquired taste but the words are nearly always good. Weirdly he doesn't always pick the best songs for his albums. Try listening to 'Blind Willie McTell' on youtube and you'll see what I mean.
  • Options

His 'Chronicles' book is excellent. A kind of fake biography. Like Tom Waits his voice is now an acquired taste but the words are nearly always good. Weirdly he doesn't always pick the best songs for his albums. Try listening to 'Blind Willie McTell' on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

Have a listen to 'Tonight At The Arizona' by the Felice Brothers, very similar to some of Dylan's stuff
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Lots of his stuff isn't easy on the ear, but some real classics too. I think 'The times they are a changin' is one of the greatest songs ever written. Was fantastic in the opening Watchmen credits too - as good a film opening as you will ever find IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUDdQS2UxA
  • Options
    May he build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung. May he stay forever young
  • Options

Much of CHRONICLES was stolen verbatim from other books.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Lots of his stuff isn't easy on the ear, but some real classics too. I think 'The times they are a changin' is one of the greatest songs ever written. Was fantastic in the opening Watchmen credits too - as good a film opening as you will ever find IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUDdQS2UxA

Also the cover of desolation row by my chemical romance for that film soundtrack is pretty damn good. Not one for covers but I really liked this, probably cos of how different it is to the original.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FOuSxal8pf4
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Much of CHRONICLES was stolen verbatim from other books.
    There's nothing new under the sun.

I've got a brilliant book, called "Steal like an artist".

It seems everybody borrows ideas and stuff from each other.
    They've all been at it .... Bowie, Lennon & McCartney, Picasso, Manet, Monet, etc; more or less everyone, you name them.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I actually like Bob Dylan's own versions of his songs. I accept that people either love or hate them. What I find interesting is at concerts he even 'covers' the Hendrix version of All Around Watchtower. In a simialr vein Neil Diamond often attempts a 'reggae' version of Red Red Wine
  • Options
    Spose anyone can write a decent song if the lyrics ain't gotta rhyme
  • Options

Spose anyone can write a decent song if the lyrics ain't gotta rhyme

Go on then, let's see what you can write .....

;o)
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Of course, it all depends on what people mean by 'good' singing. Personally I find that lots of singers with 'perfect' voices leave me cold. For me it 's all about what the singer does with his voice to make the listener feel the emotions of the songs. I think that Dylan engages beautifully with this song from his current tour and that, wobbly notes and all, makes me, at least, feel what he's singing about. I find it very moving:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMuzXOAYEA

as far as I can recall, this is the first time I have ever seen or heard Dylan singing a song that is not his own composition, or at least one which he has adapted and modified as his own
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I actually like Bob Dylan's own versions of his songs. I accept that people either love or hate them. What I find interesting is at concerts he even 'covers' the Hendrix version of All Around Watchtower. In a simialr vein Neil Diamond often attempts a 'reggae' version of Red Red Wine

His Bobness is quoted as saying that he loved Hendrix's version and always performs it
    "his way"
  • Options
    Phew thought he'd pegged it.
  • Options

Phew thought he'd pegged it.

Me too
  • Options

So much of what Dylan and the Beatles (who heavily influenced each other) did was groundbreaking, innovative and ahead of the game.
    The trouble is unless you lived through those times you probably don't appreciate that context.
    The music is then left to be judged on it's own merits, which ultimately is (arguably) as it should be, but it does these artists a disservice.
    The Beatles went from Love Me Do (itself innovative at the time) to Strawberry Fields Forever and A Day in the Life in the space of 4 years, with the rest following in their wake.
    The musical development was down to them and George Martin; the increasing lyrical sophistication was undoubtedly under the influence of Dylan.
    In turn Dylan went electric because of the Beatles.

That is so spot on.

Thankfully (or not as the case may be) I lived through it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    They brought us out of the Pat Boone, Perry Como etc. era, thank God. And "Walking Back To Happiness, Oompah oh yeeaah."