Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welcome to the Rob Styles show.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2007
    From a level 4 referee: It's all about veiw points I think Styles tried to control the game with cautions and flashing them about without so much a cautionary word to anyone was always going to create a rod for his own back. Toddy I felt sorry for, hacked down and injured for no punishment and his own innocuous looking tackle earns an immediate yellow. Just shows the amount of avoidable cautions we picked up - Bougherra kicking it away and Reid's dissent just two instances. I think Styles' could've done a better job talking to players early on then his later yellows would've earnt a lot more credibility than they are now. All in all his performance was 'interesting' and bound to get both sides fan's backs up. I think it was simply a case of reffing a Championship game like a Premiership game.
  • Options
    I see it all as player and crowd management, and Styles shows none of it correctly. He infuriates players with the inconsistency of his decisions, he infuriates the crowd by never letting things flow, but also delays free kicks etc by talking too long to any player who so much as sneezed.

I highlighted it before the game, so i feel kind of justified now. He is a shockingly poor referee and peed me off more last night than our own disappointing display and result.
  • Options
    Absolutely agree with everthing Mr Bartram has written in this thread.

First ref that I have really noticed this season, yes we have had a few baddens, but not on the level of this cretin.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    he was the epitome of everything bad about referees last night.

Give a free kick fine but just god damned get on with it. He gives a foul against Semedo then proceeds to hold the play up whilst he talks to him - ok we don't know what was said, but get on with it.

He books Bougherra for kciking the ball away then lets their right back get away with the same offence, because he'd already booked him, then wonders why Reid was so frustrated he had to vent his spleen at him. I don't agree with player showing the dissent but when a ref so blatantly show inconsistency like that it is going to happen at any level.

As for the tackle on Toddy - I am fuming about that.

He never lost us the game let's get that straight but he bloody well ruined the game ,for me anyway, because of his joke decisions.
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Problem at the moment is the grass might be wet, but the pitch is rock hard and not taking a stud

I accept that Rothers but how many Plymouth players slipped?

I can remember one in the second half and that's it so either they are naturally better balanced or made the right choice of footwear.

I seem to remember at least 3 intances in the 2nd half -
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]

He never lost us the game let's get that straight but he bloody well ruined the game

Probably the best line of the lot.
  • Options
    By his actions he also encouraged every player on the pitch to fall over whenever there was contact...shocking night...I enjoy most games I go to, even strangely the ones we lose, I love the atmosphere and love Charlton but last night I really didn't enjoy it one bit.
  • Options
    We all knew what to expect and Rob the nob gave it to us in spades. Our players and management should have expected it to. Yet the expended more energy moaning to Styles than they did on trying to win the game (and I include Pardew in that). Mills and Reid may have done well with the ball at their feet last night but I'd would have been much happier if they had concentrated on that rather than giving Styles what he wants for the whole of the second half.

Styles acts like a spoilt petulent little shit at times and the best way to deal with people like that is to ignore them.
  • Options
    You guys are reminding me of how bloody angry that idiot made me last night.

My mate actually said to me 40 minutes in.... "do you wanna close your mouth mate?"

I'd given up shouting....I was in shock. Styles should never referee another game again.

Regardless of that, we should have created and scored. Everyone had a stinker, except for there two experienced PA strikers who were bullying our 2 FB's until they both got booked.

Is that a top tip Pards? do we need expereinced fire power to win us games like plymouth did with us last night???
  • Options
    As bad as Styles was, we were no better.
    However in the first half a plmouth player got fouled and he played the advantage, the ball found its way to another plymouth player who then lost it. Styles then brought play back for the freekick. In the second half a Charlton player got fouled he played advantage again, this time the ball falls to a charlton player who was offside and chipped the keeper with the ball ending up in the back of the net.
    So what did Styles give ? A free kick to plymouth for the offside.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: kodfish[/cite]10 booked. That will be a fine for a game that was'nt that dirty.[/quote]

[quote][cite]Posted By: kodfish[/cite]10 booked. That will be a fine for a game that was'nt that dirty.[/quote]

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    what about when Weaver cleared, collided with Hayles and the ball sailed through to their keeper. He restarted the game with a throw on the half way line. Doh !!
  • Options
    The ref was a disgrace,no way was that a 10 yellow card game ffs!But what will be done about him nothing! Time and time again i see ref's coming down to the championship and they can not handle the fast closing down in this division. a couple of yellows and a firm talking to here and there would have been enough in a game that was not dirty at all. in fact it favoured us more.
  • Options
    what about when Hales (i think) went off injured and then came on during dead ball without being waved on.

Was Todorovs foul a booking... or even a foul ?
  • Options
    5 cards for dissent said it all - can't handle being questioned? don't be a ref you tit
  • Options
    Yes fazza Tororov's was a booking and we all thought Timar was very lucky to get away withit, as for Hayles again that is Styles getting the basics wrong and his assistants to!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]5 cards for dissent said it all - can't handle being questioned? don't be a ref you tit

Not really the point is it. Weren't people on here during the last couple of weeks praising the Rugby boys for their discipline and not arguing with the Ref?

Yes it was a terrible display of reffing last night but at the end of the day the players aren't there to argue with the ref and question his decisions, do they really think that he will change his mind?

Just get on with it and keep the gob shut.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Have just got back after staying over last night in London with No 1 son and spending today at the Natural History Museum, which if I could have my way is where I would send Rob Styles (having first sent him to the taxidermist).

My thoughts on Styles are simple, IT WAS THE WORST REFEREEING PERFORMANCE I HAVE EVER SEEN. I wont go through the comprehensive list of his failings which were legion, as most has been said, but for me what f*cked me off was every time he stopped play there was the obligatory five minutes peroration. Why???? He's a Ref for heaven sake not the Pope.

As for the game, much has been said already, I would just add that Pards is smart, we know that, he knows that. Sometimes he's too smart for his own good. He got a number of things wrong last night. We needed Semedo at left back, Mills in his rightful position. Fortune was carrying an injury and Magic had been unwell, so why not start with Sodyou? Why play Varney wide right when he could have played Thomas there or even Moo2? When Tody went off, why not bring on Thomas and move Varney into the centre? And please Pards, can you stop Reidy playing so deep, especially when we are chasing the game. We need him just behind the strikers orchestrating things, not playing the ball out deep from just outside the penalty area.

I don't just blame Pards because the players need to realise pretty damn quick that unless they give 100%, effort, their superior quality is going to count for f*ck all!!

My MoM was Danny Mills, again. Played out of position yet still gave a 100% performance.

Styles ruined the game but we didn't deserve to win, despite the chances we missed.

Final mention to the Argyle fans who were superb and made our lack of passion at Wolves look even more pathetic.
  • Options
    couple of things Bing, agree with the jist of your post, but Reid plays that role because that is where Reid wants to play and it will naturally take him there. He wants to be the conductor of the orchestra.

And why move Mills when he was clearly still our best player when at left back, and was having a very good game ?
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]couple of things Bing, agree with the jist of your post, but Reid plays that role because that is where Reid wants to play and it will naturally take him there. He wants to be the conductor of the orchestra.

And why move Mills when he was clearly still our best player when at left back, and was having a very good game ?

Maybe you are right on the first AFKA but the longer the game went on the deeper he got. Of course he wants to be the conductor but not from back row along side the drums and cymbals, he needs to be close to the violins making sure the melody is sharp and pacey.

Mills is our best right back, why play him on the left where he's good but less effective when we have a left back, playing out of position in the holding midfield role?

We could have played the Racoon tonight. Or even play Basey at left back.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite] Of course he wants to be the conductor but not from back row along side the drums and cymbals, he needs to be close to the violins making sure the melody is sharp and pacey.

Is this not the best analogy in the history of Charlton Life? I doff my cap to you bing, sir - well played!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]We all knew what to expect and Rob the nob gave it to us in spades. Our players and management should have expected it to. Yet the expended more energy moaning to Styles than they did on trying to win the game (and I include Pardew in that). Mills and Reid may have done well with the ball at their feet last night but I'd would have been much happier if they had concentrated on that rather than giving Styles what he wants for the whole of the second half.

Styles acts like a spoilt petulent little shit at times and the best way to deal with people like that is to ignore them.

Spot on, Kigelia - if Pards is going to get us out of this division, he needs to use some of his supposed intelligence to prepare the guys for what might confront/ disrupt them in the game. We all knew Styles was the ref. We all know he can be a prat. The team should have gone out there with a focussed plan to ignore him, whatever the distractions.

It's not over yet, either - the yellow cards from tonight will come back to haunt us in suspensions to key players and more disruption.