Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Biggest let down to wear the shirt

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Who did you have great hopes for when we signed them just to be bitterly disappointed and wished we never signed them.

Most of Dowies signings come to mind any others?

Comments

• Options
    In recent times it would have to be Hasselbaink for me.
  • Options
    Probably Neil Redfearn - to be fair he tried, and had the credentials, but it didn't work out. Had he achieved what he was capable of and was hired to do - shoring up an inexperienced midfield and contributing a few goals and assists then its likely we wouldn't have got relegated in 1998.
  • Options
    Rommerdahl for me...and Murphy to a lesser extent..
  • Options
    Jesper Blomvquist, thought he could have been the spark that we needed that season but in all fairness was tosh
  • Options
    Rommdahl and Redfearn - so excited when we signed both, both delivered so little to what i expected.
  • Options
    The lethal trio we signed post Parker and Di Canio.

Murphy, Jeffers and Rommedahl.
  • Options
    Rommedahl - right to the end I and may others believed he would deliver, but he never did.
  • Options
    Rommedahl definately and Hasselbaink
  • Options
    At the time I felt a bit let down by Andy Jones, but then I was fairly young and for some reason thought we had signed a top notch striker from under the noses of the big boys. Then I saw him play.

To be fair he wasn't that bad really and it wasn't all his fault, but I think that's the first time I remember being old enough to have my illusions shattered.

Since then there's been a few, but I try not to let myself get too carried away when we sign people until I've actually seen them play a few times - unlike some of my mates, who wet themselves every time we're linked to someone in the papers!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]The lethal trio we signed post Parker and Di Canio.

Murphy, Jeffers and Rommedahl.

Think Jeffers is a bit harsh, it's not his fault that Curbishley wouldn't play him.

Romedahl, without a doubt the biggest disappointment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amady Faye. Thought we were signing a midfield enforcer, what we got was a black Julian Clary.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    Think Jeffers is a bit harsh, it's not his fault that Curbishley wouldn't play him.

Rubbish! It's nobody's fault but his own that he is/was a pisshead!
  • Options
    aahhhh, Andy Jones, Oldham Away on the plastic pitch, nuff said, wort miss ever by a charlton player.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Amady Faye. Thought we were signing a midfield enforcer, what we got was a black Julian Clary.[/quote]

Agree with that one. What a useless %#$& !
    My top worst three let downs in order are;

Faye
    Eddy Murphy
    Dennis
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]

[/quote]

Rubbish! It's nobody's fault but his own that he is/was a pisshead![/quote]

Seems to be doing alright now for a piss artist.... Banged in a few already this season.
  • Options
    not to the same level, but i thought Robbie Mustoe would do a good short-term job for us. Not a flair player, but had always been a regular for Boro. Useless.
  • Options
    Chris Bart Williams was a player that I rated highly at the time when we signed him, made me look a right muppet after bigging him up.
  • Options
    Jerome Thomas. So much talent sadly not matched by his IQ.
  • Options
    Hopefully for him he's sorted himself out a bit now fazza. There's no doubt he had talent, but it's also about application and his head certainly didn't seem to be in the right place.

I bear him no malice. I remember the buzz when we signed him, so in that respect he was a bit of a let down. MAybe we expected too much, maybe not.
  • Options
    We've had a few over the years. Maurice Setters from my younger days comes to mind. I'd agree with Rommedahl, Hasselbaink and Murphy more recently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just thought of another one - a bird I pulled on holiday once.
    ;o)
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hasselbaink. Lazy, overpaid, posturing waste of space who didn't give a shit about Charlton.

And Murphy, who I think *was* initially enthusiastic until he realised Curbs' gameplan of a goalie and 10 defenders.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]

Rubbish! It's nobody's fault but his own that he is/was a pisshead!

5 goals in 13 starts, not bad for a "pisshead"
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh Jeez, you again. Did you not read my subsequent post? There was obviously something wrong or going on in his stay with us if even a tenth of the stories were true. I quite liked him myself, but he never struck me as much of a team player at the time - for whatever reason.
  • Options
    bollox - sulked and did little in training to show he really wanted to get in the side apparently, when he did get a chance he got carried off injured and then went on an all-night clubbing session.

Sometimes you've got to earn your opportunities and Jeffers never struck you as someone busting a gut to rekindle his career. The ony thing busting his gut was lager.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Oh Jeez, you again. Did you not read my subsequent post? There was obviously something wrong or going on in his stay with us if even a tenth of the stories were true. I quite liked him myself, but he never struck me as much of a team player at the time - for whatever reason.

Sorry, didn't see it.
  • Options
    No worries - give us a hug!
    :o)
  • Options
    Well its not Cory Gibbs, he's never got to wear the bloody shirt in the first place........
  • Options
    Ok, but only if you promise to be nice...

:o)
  • Options
    My Ex Mrs.