Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THAT'S WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS!

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think Bing raised a good point that after the USA & South Africa games I was not reading about how great & how fit they were to wear the shirt then, some of you lot have short memories. Fair enough they have beaten a couple of good sides & I am pleased for them, still winds me up though when people slag of the National Football team even though our last five competitive Qualifying games have ended in 3-0 wins yet some of you lot call that boring. Well I watched the humping we got from South Africa...yeah great to watch that was. Seems you are only as good as your last result as long as it's rugby eh.
  • Options
    LOL. I'm sure the 60,000 that left 15 mins before the end on Saturday would agree with you Ketters!
  • Options
    my take Kets is the fact that your average joe at this moment in time probably feels more aligned with the rugby players than they do with football players, particularly the prem ones, despite the fact most of the rugby lads were probably private school jobs.

Premiership footballers have been elavated to super-stardom in the last few years in terms of media exposure, finances and commerciality. It sits uneasily with a lot of the public who in a decent outlay for them, pays a tiny percentage to the income of the superstar. When those individuals underperform, appear arrogant, or reported to be not taking their career seriously enough, it opens up that unease.

With rugby, the players earn a decent, honest wage, but currently not to ridiculous levels, are largely unheard of, and on the field of play adopt a commendable moral level. When they overperform, like they have clearly done in the last couple of games, people warm to it and makes them question themselves the reason why they don't feel so aligned with top footballers any more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]LOL. I'm sure the 60,000 that left 15 mins before the end on Saturday would agree with you Ketters!

Ha Ha yes I'll agree they are as Plastic as all the so called Rugby fans on here giving it the big un from their armchairs/local boozers but how many on here have actually been to a single game this tournament ? Errrr
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]What really impressed me was the way they ALL sang the national anthem with pride. some footballers could learn a thing or two there.

They always do mate, unlike Neville etc who just stand there like w*nkers. The rugby boys show pride in wearing the shirt, and playing for their country

Perhaps both the Football and Rugby would be more inclined to sing if the national anthem wasn't so bloody awful!!

The cricket boys have the right idea with Jerusalem imo...
  • Options
    Also Kets, is that the rugby squad didn't hide behind the whacking by the Saffas, no excuses were made, they fronted up, and sorted their house out, unlike when the football team get beat, who whine about the ref, pitch, humidity, etc etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]LOL. I'm sure the 60,000 that left 15 mins before the end on Saturday would agree with you Ketters!

Ha Ha yes I'll agree they are as Plastic as all the so called Rugby fans on here giving it the big un from their armchairs/local boozers but how many on here have actually been to a single game this tournament ? Errrr

You try getting tickets for it, there isn't the same set up as the FA have with Englandfans to apply for tickets, the clubs have first dibs and very little gets out beyond that. It's the same arguement you've used before, and it's a none arguement
  • Options
    top post BFR, it's all about the passion and pride in your country, something I fear Henry will never have nor want as he sees it as a form of subliminal racism, that is why we need a second generation Englishman (Polish in the director instance) to show a bit of passion for club or country, to be the supporters director, rather than one who is embarrased by his country.

henry has
    no passion
    no pride
    no point

you're worse than gordon brown, cheerio to you both
  • Options
    If you want a ticket badly enough you get on the Eurostar & get one of a tout plenty of them around.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]If you want a ticket badly enough you get on the Eurostar & get one of a tout plenty of them around.

I haven't got a spare £1000 lying about at the moment, but I'll remember that if we ever get near a major football final, and you're on here talking about the game from your sofa in Kent. ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]If you want a ticket badly enough you get on the Eurostar & get one of a tout plenty of them around.
    don't be stupid, Rothko would ride there
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    don't be stupid, Rothko would ride there

Shut it Seal snogger
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

I haven't got a spare £1000 lying about at the moment, but I'll remember that if we ever get near a major football final, and you're on here talking about the game from your sofa in Kent. ;0)

Do me a favour Rothers, Man in a high powered Job like you not being able to afford a ticket for the Rugger with loads of bottles of Bolly before hand :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]my take Kets is the fact that your average joe at this moment in time probably feels more aligned with the rugby players than they do with football players, particularly the prem ones, despite the fact most of the rugby lads were probably private school jobs.

Premiership footballers have been elavated to super-stardom in the last few years in terms of media exposure, finances and commerciality. It sits uneasily with a lot of the public who in a decent outlay for them, pays a tiny percentage to the income of the superstar. When those individuals underperform, appear arrogant, or reported to be not taking their career seriously enough, it opens up that unease.

With rugby, the players earn a decent, honest wage, but currently not to ridiculous levels, are largely unheard of, and on the field of play adopt a commendable moral level. When they overperform, like they have clearly done in the last couple of games, people warm to it and makes them question themselves the reason why they don't feel so aligned with top footballers any more.

disagree with that Kets, or others ?
  • Options

Leave it out Ketters! It's hard enough getting the funds (permission) for a domestic away trip costing £100, let alone a foreign trip costing £1k plus...!

Then there's getting there... Eurostars are fully booked, with people chartering private planes... add that to my £1k if you're chipping in!
  • Options
    Yeah AFKA I pretty much resent what all the players earn now & feel they have totally lost touch with the fans. However, I am a Charlton Fan & England Football fan & will back them no matter how bad they are or how arrogant they come across. I have no real issue with the Rugby boys to be honest, but will always back the Footy team first no matter what.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]my take Kets is the fact that your average joe at this moment in time probably feels more aligned with the rugby players than they do with football players, particularly the prem ones, despite the fact most of the rugby lads were probably private school jobs.

disagree with that Kets, or others ?

Pretty much spot on mate. To highlight, the rugby players (I'm talking a premiership team here) come into the public bar at the ground after the game and drink with the normal folk like me and you... can you imagine Lampard, Ronaldo, etc etc doing that?!
  • Options
    i'd boo Lampard if he came into a bar after the England game
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm possibly (hopefully) off to Paris Saturday morning and here's what I've found out so far:

Eurostar is £150+ per person, so out of the question
    Planes are cheaper, but you've got to get to/from airports, so price goes up quick
    Ferry is around £110 for a car and up to five passengers, so going to cost us around £30 each, plus say £10 petrol each

Not worth trying to get a hotel room in Paris unless you're loaded as everything cheap is already booked (apart from a few youth hostel, so might do that for 24euro).

According to TalkSport at lunchtime there were hundreds of touts outside the stadium with final tickets going at little more than face value. Lots of french bought tickets (and extra tickets, hoping to sell them at a premium when france made the final), so there are actually more tickets available than prospective buyers AT THE MOMENT, that will change over the next few days I imagine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lots of kiwis, aussies and french all bought tickets and want rid i've heard.
  • Options
    How many footballers would take a smack in the face like the South African bloke did last night and just stand there and give the bloke a dirty look? Rolling around like a big fairy would probably be the answer. No arguing with the refs, kick the crap out of each other for 80 minutes then shake hands and clap each other of the pitch.

I think people are just refreshed by the whole thing for a few weeks, I certainly am, but then I'm a bit refreshed by the Championship. I blame gazza crying in Italia 90, top-tier football went downhill after that!!! Celebrities not sportsmen.
  • Options
    rupert murdoch killed football - FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]rupert murdoch killed football - FACT

Assisted suicide more like.
  • Options
    Lets put it this way....if/when England Rugby team win the World Cup again there will be a bit of flag waving/parade in Trafalgar Square and I will be there to add my support. But if England Football team ever win the world cup again or even the European Championship, celebrations will go on for weeks, cries for a national holiday for the parade around the country and a call for all the time to receive a knighthood. Fact - locked on etc.