Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THAT'S WHY WE'RE CHAMPIONS!

What heroes in White tonight in Paris!

Comments

• what a game - how nerve wracking was that.

went with your score at 12-1 mate win by 6 - also backed the french by 6 but they never looked like doing it. Joe Worsley won't ever make a more effective tap tackle in his career.
  • Fantastic. How great would it be to be out there?
  • Did say I thought the French bottle would go in the last 10, didn't expect it to go in the last ten of both halves.

HAHAHA, Bring on the Argies!
  • yeah too right they didn't want to know. just checked my paddy power it was 40-1 to win by 6 points. GUTTED - 1 MORE EFFING POINT.

Poor old casteignede he looked mortified
  • Unlucky mate, I did say by 4, but ho hum

WE'RE IN THE WORLD CUP FINAL AGAIN

_44175038_wilko2416.jpg
  • don't matter we are there.
  • These blokes have some bottle and determination. Bloody fantastic
  • edited October 2007
    Never really done Rugby, watched the match today, interupted by having to do an hour set in the middle unfortuinately,

So exciting!

Bring on next Saturday!

( am i plastic rugby fan then??? )
  • SWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING LOW!
  • Never been a Rugby fan, but ill confess to singing along with everyone in the pub tonight, its just good to see English sportsmen who genuinely seem to care about making their country proud of them.If our footballers had an attitude approaching that, they might live up to their world class billing on paper, sadly, they dont.
  • Sponsored links:

• What really impressed me was the way they ALL sang the national anthem with pride. some footballers could learn a thing or two there.
  • [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Never really done Rugby, watched the match today, interupted by having to do an hour set in the middle unfortuinately,

Didn't know you were a hairdresser Stanmore.
  • [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]What really impressed me was the way they ALL sang the national anthem with pride. some footballers could learn a thing or two there.

And that's why I can't get excited about rugby. Wilkinson wasn't singing and neither was at least one of the other players but hey ho, the rugby team wins and it's let's slag off football and footballers again.

Had the usual from another dad at son's football training Saturday morning. "Rugby players are better role models, all footballers are thick, Rooney is a disgrace, you never get public school boys playing football" "Lampard went to a private school" "did he? he doesn't talk like it"

And Jason Robinson, he's a good role model I guess but then again he's an ex- rugby league player so what can you expect.

Well done the rugby team and good luck in the final but please don't pretend that they have any right to the moral high ground.
  • Well done to the England Union boys, but hats off to Leeds for stuffing the Saints in a gripping Grand Final.
  • [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]What really impressed me was the way they ALL sang the national anthem with pride. some footballers could learn a thing or two there.

They always do mate, unlike Neville etc who just stand there like w*nkers. The rugby boys show pride in wearing the shirt, and playing for their country
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]What really impressed me was the way they ALL sang the national anthem with pride. some footballers could learn a thing or two there.

And that's why I can't get excited about rugby. Wilkinson wasn't singing and neither was at least one of the other players but hey ho, the rugby team wins and it's let's slag off football and footballers again.

Had the usual from another dad at son's football training Saturday morning. "Rugby players are better role models, all footballers are thick, Rooney is a disgrace, you never get public school boys playing football" "Lampard went to a private school" "did he? he doesn't talk like it"

And Jason Robinson, he's a good role model I guess but then again he's an ex- rugby league player so what can you expect.

Well done the rugby team and good luck in the final but please don't pretend that they have any right to the moral high ground.

You can't get excited about rugby because some of the players don't sing the national anthem, while other people claim they do and assume the moral high ground over football? I think you are inferring something that isn't really there.

Generally comparing rugby to football is like comparing oranges to apples, different sports, different rules, different shaped ball. Constructing a national team is always difficult because you have tobring together players from a number of club teams and that means getting them together regularly so they gel as a unit and that is where the two sports really deviate.

Over the last few years I've grown bored with international football, the problem is that the clubs are too important, last week for example Charlton refused to release ZZ for a couple of China matches, at Newcastle Allardyce was (characteristically) moaning about Michael Owen being over-used by England when he's not fully fit. Meanwhile Club sides, at the top level i.e. G14 status are dream teams packed with internationals and so Milan vs Man U is invariably a better match to watch than Italy vs England. In football whenever there is a friendly the week before a queue of players forms with notes excusing them from games, invariably these players are back fit and well for the following weekend's Premiership matches - Ryan Giggs for example has apparently never played a friendly for Wales away from home. Given the money, the high wages and the importance of competitions like the Champion's League and the Premiership I can see why these players are reluctant to play for their national sides and when they do they treat matches like something to be endured rather enjoyed or a privilege and rarely play as they would for their club teams - afraid of injury and losing their lucrative club contracts. In rugby the club sides are nowhere near as important and are a distant second to the national teams, the club sides though recognise that without the international game and the money the Six Nations and RWC generates their funding all but disappears. Although the game is now professional the remuneration isn't so great that there is the same club-country debate, that may well change in the future but these days I'd much rather watch England play rugby rather than England play football - as yesterday I happily "watched" England play Estonia by pressing the refresh button on the BBC site, but went to the pub for the rugby and anyway I feel increasingly alienated from a bunch of obscenely wealthy individuals going through the motions when they play for England - I don't give a toss about whether they sing the national anthem or not, or any of the phoney nationalistic bullshit, its just that international rugby is a far better product than international football. In rugby the players know that playing for their country is a privilege and respond accordingly, except fleetingly I just don't see the same attitude from England's footballers.
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Al the Addick[/cite]What really impressed me was the way they ALL sang the national anthem with pride. some footballers could learn a thing or two there.

They always do mate, unlike Neville etc who just stand there like w*nkers. The rugby boys show pride in wearing the shirt, and playing for their country

"Well said Medders" you dont want to sing, you dont wear the shirt, it drives me mad, and they get paid as well, paid by their clubs and country.
  • edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    You can't get excited about rugby because some of the players don't sing the national anthem, while other people claim they do and assume the moral high ground over football? I think you are inferring something that isn't really there.

That wasn't what I was saying at all. I have no interest in Rugby and don't find watching it enjoyable full stop but that is my personal taste. Others like it which is fine. As you say two different sports.

What I dislike is the inference being made that as ALL the rugby players sing the national anthem (something BTW that was NOT the case yesterday as Wilkinson and at least one other player were clearly NOT singing) the rugby players have something to teach the footballers.

Whenever the rugby team, or any other national team, does well it is used as a stick to beat football, footballers and football fans. Fine if you want to celebrate a relative success in some other sport but please leave mine alone in the process.

[cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite] its just that international rugby is a far better product than international football.

And that is my whole point. Why do you have to run down football to celebrate the relative success of the rugby team? Does anyone say "look, Liverpool reached the European cup final and Man Utd and Chelsea reached the semis. So much better than Leicester Tigers et al's pathetic efforts in the whatever it is called European Rugby cup" No, of course not as there is no relation between the two. it would be a meaningless comparison.

As it is I disagree totally with that statement and when and if we qualify for Euro 2008 and South Africa 2010 if will be proved again and again that international football, and not just England games, generate far more excitement in a much wider group of people than this or any other Rugby world cup.
  • I Really enjoyed watching the game,great atmosphere in the pub.
  • I think the point BFR was trying to make was wearing the national shirt for a rgby union player means a lot more to him than wearing the national shirt does to a lot of footballers, that's not running football down it's a simple fact. The football XI played very well yesterday and got the job done but could you honestly imagine them summoning up the guts that the rugby side did?

I was DJ'ing last night so was sprinting back and forth to the TV, in the end I got the whole place to sing swing low about the time Wilkinsons kick went over a couple of minutes from the end and they carried on for a long while.

Got monstered after celebrating and you're right Henry more people are more excited by the football than rugby but doesn't make the individuals who play the game any better people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter - you weren't DJing at a wedding in Croydon were you?
  • It's not about whether Rugby is better than football or vice versa.

It's about body language, one manifestation of which is the National Anthem.

The rugby players, to a man, all want to be there and it is obvious from their demeanour that they are fired up to give their all to the cause.

The same cannot be said of a significant number of the England footballers.

That for me is the difference. Not a question of which is the "better" game.
  • BFR - i've broken down your post into about seven different points.

And agree with absolutely every one of them.

Great night last night, loved it.
  • The Rugby team was fantastic last night. Lets not get too high and mighty. A couple of weeks ago it was openly being said that this was the worst England team, ever to represent their country in the RUWC.

On the other hand, the football boys are now starting to play like a team regularly for the first time in years.

I think blaming lack of passion, inflated salaries, lifestyle, which school you went to or anything else doesn't cut it for me. It's all about confidence and the team ethos, which is built upon patterns of success. We now have a football team that doesn't necessarily have the 11 best players in it but they represent a team not a collection of individuals.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Carter - you weren't DJing at a wedding in Croydon were you?

No mate, 30th birthday party in Gillingham. At a place that smelt so bad smoking inside it should be compulsary to cover up the reek of god knows what
  • Henry, next time the other Dad goes on about public schoolboys not playing football, put the snobby, ill-informed twat right. I had a mate who went to Harrow, and the main sport there was football. I am 90% sure the same goes for Winchester. Two of the countries "top" public schools.

Medders, I think Neville is a republican, so that's why he does not sing (same as me).

You are right about the rest of them though.
  • Association football in its modern form developed in Public Schools and they still have an annual Public School Old Boy Cup.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2003/04/04/sfndun04.xml
  • BFR : - That is post of the year for me.
  • [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]BFR : - That is post of the year for me.

Hear hear
  • beer beer