Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ten games in - Premiership v Championship

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Be interested in what differences you have noticed. What are you enjoying more, what are you missing etc

Comments

• Options
    I'm missing not seeing twenty seconds of highlights and analysis at 11.55 on MOTD, I'm missing fouls not being given for every bit of contact made, missing the ridiculous shakng of hands before kick off, missing not being able to get a ticket on the day.

I'm a whingeing bastard at times. I can honestly say I do not miss anything about the premiershit. If we could somehow win this league, get all the money we would get for being in tier 1 and carry on in this league I would take that
  • Options
    I'm inclined to agree. I don't even miss the media coverage we used to get. If it was post match it tended to be too depressing to watch again and anything not directly match related tended to concentrate on how great Curbs was or how plucky little old Charlton were.

In fact I can't think of anything that I honestly miss about being in the Premiership.

As I said on the other thread I always want Charlton to win and do well and play at the highest level we can but in my eyes the Premier League is a real soulless and miserable place to be most of the time for most of the teams in it.
  • Options
    The precision of the passing is better in the premiership which is just as well when we make mistakes! Defenders in the Prem will try to play the ball out of trouble far more than in this league where Row Z is a perfectly acceptable option.

The "simulation" within the Prem is certainly something I don't miss and the players appear more "honest" in terms of endeavour and commitment in the Championship.

Although the result was disappointing I thought we played some beautiful football on Saturday at times.

Good to see you again AFKA albeit briefly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]I'm inclined to agree. I don't even miss the media coverage we used to get. If it was post match it tended to be too depressing to watch again and anything not directly match related tended to concentrate on how great Curbs was or how plucky little old Charlton were.

In fact I can't think of anything that I honestly miss about being in the Premiership.

As I said on the other thread I always want Charlton to win and do well and play at the highest level we can but in my eyes the Premier League is a real soulless and miserable place to be most of the time for most of the teams in it.

Yup. Actually, with our form at the moment we're probably getting a disproportionate amount of printed press coverage (picked up a Sunday Times yesterday to see a big pic of Reidy, that kind of thing), so I hope that continues... but yeah, I'm enjoying football again. No sure if we'd have been able to say that if that Barnsley shot had gone in in the last minute, but it's refreshing to have a completely unfancied team come and give us a proper game.

Just such a tragedy there's such a yawning gap between the Premier League and the Championship. I was in Highbury this morning and walked past the Emirates - it looked like it belonged to another world entirely.
  • Options
    I just like the fact that whoever we play, home or away, I know that we can win the game.

Lets be honest, at least a quarter of the matches in the Prem is more damage limitation than anything else.

Still want to go straight back up though. Miss some good drink ups with mates at West Ham and Arsenal games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I just like the fact that whoever we play, home or away, I know that we can win the game.
    i'm finding that i expect us to win every game and it's a bit of a let down if we don't (now know how man utd, chelsea, arsenal and liverpool fans must feel every week) as opposed to in the premiership where anything was a bonus
  • Options
    Main thing for me was never more eveident than this weekend. Watching Wigan play at Old Trafford & waiting for Man U to score basically summed up what watching Charlton is like in the Premier League.

As for the plus points the main thing for me is that we are the aggressors & go after the opposition Home or Away instead of all hands to the pump defending which watching charlton in the top tier had become unfortunately.
  • Options
    Driving to Hull last week my mate turned to me and said " do you know if we were playing Man U away tonight I wouldnt be going"

It sort of sums it up to me that The Championship is giving us more fun and more hope.
  • Options
    Perhaps the Board will do a season ticket deal for 2009/10.
    With our 'free' Prem ticket for 2008/9 and understanding what an endurance that season will be for all us fans they can offer a free Championship ticket for 2009/10 provided we all get behind the team as we struggle with the prospect of relegation. If on the other hand we are 'successful' and we got into Europe as well and with all the negativity that would bring (travelling to Kiev or seeing some 3rd rate Cyprit team) we would surely have to be compensated ( Spanish Villa must be a minimum). And so on and so on.....
  • Options
    I think the main difference is that we actually belive that we can win games now as opposed to in the Premiership when it looked as though the gameplan was not to lose rather than try to win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Championship is a novelty (for some) and because of the parachute money we have a competitive team which is capable of entertaining attacking football.

That won't last though and so we need to get back into the Prem ASAP for the future of the Club.

On a "one season only basis" the Championship is enjoyable much longer than that though and the Club will go into decline.

Some of us have seen it all before!
  • Options
    One of my first observations was that it seems almost complusory to have at least one big lump of a centre forward in your team.

I'm quite enjoying the fact that every slightly tenacious tackle doesn't automatically result in a free kick.

Oh, and as others have said, it's nice to turn up to a match with the realistic expectation that we could/should win it.

Financially, we obviously need promotion - and if we don't go up our better players could be cherry-picked by Premiership clubs - but I'm going to try to enjoy the rest of a season which is hopefully about more than just getting to 40 points.
  • Options
    i agree with all above but would be lying if i said i didn't miss

the cafc badge coming out of the valley at the beginning of motd.

watching some of the most high profile players in the world play at the valley

the big upsets chelsea, liverpool, arsenal etc...... that arsenal one was one of the greatest days ever FACT!

but on the whole the pluses out weigh the neggys for the championship. I'm really enjoying this season. We are playing some lovely football again. me and the lads find ourselves watching the games this season with big smiles on our faces. Rather than as ketters said just waiting for opposition to score.
  • Options
    Ketman has nailed it 100% bang on. Who would fancy 90 mins of shadow chasing like Wigan had to do on Saturday? I almost felt sorry for Marcus Bent.....

The gap IS ridiculous and the fact is that on another day Arsenal could have put 7 or 8 past Sunderland as well....
  • Options
    What I have noticed is:

+ Slower tempo seems almost pre season at times

+Bigger more physical style of player vs more athletic player in Premiership

+Opposition players out to wind up key individuals eg Danny Mills for his hot headedness

+Passing quality is poorer and hoofing is more prevalent

+Referees appear to let the physical side go punished

+That said it is good going into games knowing we could win with some promising attacking play especially after the Curbishley years of understandable defensiveness
  • Options
    Call me what you like.

BUT

I am really enjoying watching FOOTBALL again.

I watch Sky & their Premiership & it reminds me of all the rows I had back in the day when I said the Premier League was a bad idea. I have seen nothing to prove I was wrong yet. Having said that, I enjoy watching it when my team's not involved, much like watching La Liga...........a trifle bizarre???

Whether my beloved Charlton are in it or not doesn't mean I have to like it. I'll go which ever league they are in. Because I am a Charlton supporter & not a Premier League supporter.

Ain't it great though..............Saturday's at 3pm!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]i agree with all above but would be lying if i said i didn't miss

the cafc badge coming out of the valley at the beginning of motd.

Yeah, I used to like that, and those two-bob Chumpionship titles (how many Palarse fans in there?) on ITV get right on my thru'pennies.

But they've changed the MOTD titles, mind, so instead, you'd possibly be seeing Marcus Bent scratch his arse rather than the badge coming out of The Valley.
  • Options
    The standard of referees, I thought they were bad in the Premiership, but they are gutless in the Championship, never want to make a decision, cause they know they can get away with out the TV tearing them to shreads.

Otherwise, I'm loving it
  • Options
    I agree with Len, let's enjoy it while we can but unfortunately the Premiership is where the money is and without we won't keep the current squad and then we could be just like Pal..................sorry can't say it!
  • Options
    From a purley personal point of view and without any thought towards the future of the club financially, I never want to be in the Premier League (It's not called The Premiership anymore) again.
    IMO for 65-75% of the teams in the PL, it is a waste of time. I do not want my seasons highlights to be a point at Old Trafford when Utd have the title all but sown up or a home win against Liverpool or a nil/nil at Stamford Bridge. I want to see us winning home and away, coming back from 2 down to win 3-2.
    Most of all I do not want all those neutrals back. Getting there late, leaving early and enthusing about Ronaldo, Drogba and Fabregas etc.
    If we lose the play off final every year, I'll be happy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Most of all I do not want all those neutrals back. Getting there late, leaving early and enthusing about Ronaldo, Drogba and Fabregas etc.

I think Chirpy is making a decent point here, was sick of all the Arsenal & United Fans who had tickets to watch Charlton cos they could not get them for their own club & they decided Cheap Premiership football was watchable at the Valley but had no affinity for us as a team, glad we have lost all those fans & do not want them back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Most of all I do not want all those neutrals back. Getting there late, leaving early and enthusing about Ronaldo, Drogba and Fabregas etc.

I think Chirpy is making a decent point here, was sick of all the Arsenal & United Fans who had tickets to watch Charlton cos they could not get them for their own club & they decided Cheap Premiership football was watchable at the Valley but had no affinity for us as a team, glad we have lost all those fans & do not want them back.

Spot on gents, exactly the way i feel
  • Options
    I'm loving this season at the moment and cannot get enough but cannot understand the comments regarding not wanting to go up!!

What we playing for then??

What kind of ambition is that?

We are realistic and know we will never challenge for the top, but on our day when we have caused upsets did we not enjoy those?

We are what we are and at the moment we are very good championship side with an excellent chance of promotion so lets get that, then see what the future if it means being a yo-yo club then so be it.
  • Options
    when we were really crap and had no ground, did people ever think we'd a> get in the premiership at any stage during their living years b> think we'd stay in the premiership for successive seasons at any stage during their living years? c> did anyone think that we'd actually have conversations the 2nd season in the premiership about a possible appearance in Europe?

in 10 years time.....a lot could happen!

I'm loving this season, but still want us to go up!
  • Options
    Having no ground co-incided with us back in the first division for the first time in 30 odd years, it's probably what saved us from bankrupcy. By the time we were relegated and at Upton Park there were definate plans afoot to go home.
  • Options
    Bang on, Suzi!
  • Options
    I see the school of thought behind wanting to be up the top league but I think after the novelty wears away the reality bites in, and in truth how many real high points were there after we did Chelski on Boxing day?

If we can have the early prem years back then yes I'd rather be up there but in reality I prefer watching us when we play well and win as opposed to trying to limit the top four to a respectable score.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Driving to Hull last week my mate turned to me and said " do you know if we were playing Man U away tonight I wouldnt be going"

That's an absolutely brilliant comment - top man!
  • Options
    So some of you do not want the club to be successful as long as you are entertained???

Strange.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]So some of you do not want the club to be successful as long as you are entertained???

Strange.
    big fish small pond small fish big pond, maybe?