Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - September 7th 1985. Charlton 3 Palace 1

2»

Comments

• razil said:

was the East stand condemned/closed by that stage, there is a video of it somewhere on here I think

The East Terrace was indeed condemned at the start of this season by the GLC , I used to stand on it and was pissed off that I had to move into the Covered End for these games .

I remember joining a protest at the end of the game and remonstrating with Richard Collins about the move .

I love looking at old team lists for these games .I notice that Welsh Under 21 International Jimmy Loveridge made one of his rare appearances in this match and for Palace as well as the ex Arsenal and Scotland Keeper George Woods ,the Eagles also had
    Chris Hughton's brother the ex Orient full back Henry and former Chelsea warhorse Micky Droy playing in this game .

I can't imagine that Droy and Jim Cannon would have complemented each other as both were quite immobile from my memory .
  • Remember the game well, for the wrong and right reasons, Mark Reid still was a very under rated left back, and that notice that was handed to you as we went through the turnstiles.
  • Lest we forget...

It was a handy team alright, that was what made it all the more galling. Lennie had done a great job in close season, similar to last year by SCP. Pearson had actually been announced at the final game of the previous season, as I recall.

There was no internet and nobody knew each other beyond their own friends. I was seething, and went to the next Supporters Club meeting, expecting everybody else to be seething too, and to find common cause. The ground move wasn't even on the agenda. They warbled on for ages about coach versus train for "away" travel. The irony of it. Lennie was there, looking nervous. In the end I grabbed the mike and asked them how come the fact that from now on EVERY game was an away game, wasn't even being discussed. Nobody even answered me directly. They thought I had a cheek, turning up like that and challenging the wisdom of the directors, and the long standing Supporters Club officials. But lurking in the background, as I discovered a couple of years later, were Airman Brown and Steve Dixon. And they were thinking about a different piece of paper...

Great words PA. Lest we forget!
  • Bad news day from yesteryear.....
  • I took a couple of pics of the penalties that went in.
    Strange game all round.
  • TEL said:

Got handed the leaflet outside the covered end turnstyles, I seriously thought it was a spoof, only for reality to dawn on us a couple of weeks later. It was the begining of the end of the begining. I doubt we will ever witness anything that galvanizes a small group of supporters to achieve such great things. I will always feel proud to have been part of the proceedings, despite it being quite depressing at times.

That was until our Belgian buns came to town
  • edited September 2016
    I was there. The bit about getting told about the move was a complete surprise to me though my dad said he had heard about it (can't recall now if he'd said it had been in the paper that morning or whether he'd heard it at work at the Daily Mirror or my uncle had told him through his connections at the club). The whole thing seemed surreal on the day particularly as we beat Palace 3-1 and leaving the Valley seemed bad timing
  • edited September 2016
    Went to this game, was only young but I remember my Dad being angry after reading the leaflet.

Can't remember much about the game, except Reid missed penalty. Seem to remember he missed on against them at Selhurst as well.
  • I was there. The bit about getting told about the move was a complete surprise to me though my dad said he had heard about it (can't recall now if he'd said it had been in the paper that morning or whether he'd heard it at work at the Daily Mirror or my uncle had told him through his connections at the club). The whole thing seemed surreal on the day particularly as we beat Palace 3-1 and leaving the Valley seemed bad timing

I'm 99% sure it was reported in the Sidcup Times in the week leading up to the game. I had tickets to see Imagination at the Orchard in the evening. I still went but sat there with a face like a smacked arse all night.
  • I had an S/T that season but was away on holiday for this game. As you did in those days, I hunted down day-old copies of the Sunday papers and went straight to the results. I was delighted to see that we'd continued our good start to the season...and it was some time later I noticed a small piece saying 'Charlton to quit Valley'

Sat by the Med not knowing what to make of it. As others have pointed out, there was no internet or ability to text someone to get an update...it would be another week before I got any more info. I think I concluded it was all brinkmanship and bluff (against Gliksten), and that we wouldn't, indeed couldn't, switch grounds mid-season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Big John Pearson.
    Proper footballer.
    Proper Charlron.
  • Why do it on the day we were playing our soon to become landlords?
  • Yes, the timing wasn't the best. That's for sure.