Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My opinion of the game today

Weaver, has been unlucky so far this season. Anything he has had a chance of saving he has done so, defending at corners must be a charlton thing as not many other teams look so shaky when they defend them, great save in the second half and IMO better than Anderson or Mhyre.
Thatcher, Doesnt want to be there, thoughtless and slow
Bougy, We have all seen what he can do, maybe he is under orders not to go past the half way line??? Did link play and continued in an attack today in the second half which made him look like the player we signed from his youtube clips.
Fortune, slack, lazy and slow first half, second half, very good, strong physical and couple of great headers.
Mcarthy, seemed a little lost at right back and didnt want to link play like Moutakil does but I felt he should have come on as a right back against Stoke instead of straight into Centre half and try to pick up the pace of the game. 'Done a job' today
Reid, again, first half just seemed to get in players way and didnt know where he was supposed to be, second half brilliant, linked play and involved in everything.
Thomas, better second half but still overated IMO and 3 mill would be great business
Bent, Still shit, sorry
Big Chris, very good, has played well in all the games I have seen so far, cant wait to see him with Varney
Todorov, poor mans JJ??
Semedo, Best game so far, not quite sure where he should play though?

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, Ambrose, Linked most things we done and had a cracking second half.
  • Options
    And ZZ - I know he created the equaliser, but good when he came on?
  • Options
    Sorry, typing quickly and forgot about him, how, I dont know, IMO he was the difference when he came on Very strong and will love it in this division I think, that is even though I didnt rate him last year.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Good stuff, CPLane, Thanks.

Man of the Match?
  • Options
    Harsh on Todorov I think, I thought he linked up very well with Big Chris and Reid second half. An intelligent player around the edge of the box.

Good substitutions by Pards at half time. First half defending was woeful. Boogie looked poor in the first 45 but was much much better in the 2nd half.
  • Options
    I thought Todorov and ZZ in particular changed the game.

Todorov offered something different, and worked off Iwelumo well, something Bent didn't do well, and ZZ was possibly man of the match by doing everything you could want from a central midfield player.

Hats off to big Chris as well, worked really and got his reward with 2 well taken goals.

Also credit to McCarthy, although he wasn't a star today, to play in the right back position with a lot of pressure after last couple of games, he did well.

Bougherra also showed signs of why we paid all that money for him today.
  • Options
    Fair point on McCarthy today. He doesn't look the most comfortable on the ball and is certainly not a bomb down the wing (ala Moo2) but definetely did a job today.

Also on a positive note I thought our crossing was much better today as well.

I would not want to be a defender up against Big Chris!
  • Options
    Bit harsh, although I agree with you about Thatcher.
  • Options
    Very harsh on Todorov. With a midfield as attacking as ours, i thought he was crucial in bringing the game forward on the floor as before he came on we'd been limited to punting it to Big Chris. On all but one occasion i thought he used the ball intelligently and skillfully and brought others into play well. Well done to the bloke Zheng was much needed aswell, made the midfield look solid and i doubt we'd have been floundering so uselessly in the first half had he been in the mix.
    1st half was woeful but we looked a million times better after the break, Bougherra and McCarthy came out of this well in my eyes, and though i still think hes too much of a luxury, Ambrose did well in the 2nd half too.
  • Options
    i thought todorov was superb demanded the ball to his feet,made runs and took defenders out of their comfort zone and linked well with big chris.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Ambrose was pants for the whole 90 minutes.

He lost possession at least four times.
  • Options
    the thing with Todorov, he has a very a lathargic way with him. There is no doubt he has a good touch and can play, but it easily gets masked at times.

Thought it was ZZ who made a big difference, and Reid grew stronger as the game went on. Really pleased for Big Chris, he hasn't got the ability that we are used to seeing in the past, but christ he's a trier.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Sorry, Ambrose, Linked most things we done and had a cracking second half.[/quote]

are you kidding?! he gave the ball away in dangerous areas and his shooting was woeful. I'd say he slightly improved in the 2nd half but he couldn't get much worse.

Thatcher's injury was a huge blessing in disguise. Semedo played far better at left back than Thatcher did and offered a more attacking threat and it allowed Zheng to be a calming influence in midfield. Thomas did much better on the right and Reidy actually stuck to the left wing a lot more making the balance much better.

I don't agree with the Weaver comments, don't remember him coming for 1 cross today and it was panic stations every time they wipped the ball in. Didn't have a good view for their 2nd goal but maybe he could've done better as it was quite a soft header.

Big Chris was great, full of running, big threat in the air and took his goals very well. Gotta give some credit to McCarthy who didn't play badly but he wasn't tested much 2nd half.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    mcarthy had acres of space to perform down that wing and did a mediocre job. his long lobbing passes into iwelumo were doing the trick.. if yassin was fit he would of had a field day down that wing...
  • Options
    I don't agree with the Weaver comments, don't remember him coming for 1 cross today and it was panic stations every time they wipped the ball in. Didn't have a good view for their 2nd goal but maybe he could've done better as it was quite a soft header.

Suppose we did panic with crosses but to be honest we always have done in the 31 years I have watched us, bar nobody.
    Even Carson for all his great attributes wasnt the best at crosses, and today as well as Scunthorpe defenders have jobs to do and do them at set pieces, my opinion anyway, the second half save was as good as a goal.
  • Options
    Should also mention that we should have had a blatant penalty today but only got a free kick outside the box for handball.

Hope Amdy Fay can stay to be honest and give us cover at centre back or on his performance against Bolton at home last year push to be a starter?any comments?
  • Options
    to be honest i hope Amdy Faye leaves the club. He's not good enough to play regularly and i wouldn't like to consider him a starter for centre back based on one quite good performance (where he also conceded a pen)
  • Options
    Better than Fortune and El Karkori in my opinion.
  • Options
    thought Fortune was the better of the 2 centre backs today especially first half when Bougherra was awful. Fortune's not great but i'd rather have him as cover than Faye
  • Options
    Glad to see Paddy getting some credit. God knows he ain`t a natural right full back but I thought he did pretty well today. Todorov and Chris linked up well I thought. Agree with AFKA that he looks lethargic at times but certainly offered something that Bent didn`t. ZZ was excellent. Did everything nice and easy nothing flash or dangerous. Allowed Ambrose and Reid to run the game in 2nd half. Magic will be ok I think but we must get in another quality centre back to play alongside him. Once this team settles in I think we will be very competative in this division. Full back ? Thatcher injured now but IMO did not offer very much. Think Pardew will sign a right back this week with Chrissy making an appearance too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    chris powell for the palace game a must.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [quote] [cite] Posted By: nolly aka lucy lou [/cite] chris powell for the palace game a must. [/quote]

100% agree!!!
  • Options
    Semedo must stay in his natural position which is left back calm controlled was excellent as a left back rather than centre midfield. Todorov and zz made the difference. Need new right back on loan and a centre back keep the midfield and strikers that ended the game and i can see us doing well.
  • Options
    Agree with CPL. Faye could make a decent centre back. Not sure he will see it that way tho.
  • Options
    left back isn't his natural position! he's one footed and it's not his left but yeah he played a lot better than Thatcher
  • Options
    theres no way he's a left back.. was very tentative going forward.
  • Options
    powell
  • Options
    My take on things:
    Big Chris - real revelation as I expected him to be an aerial threat but he looked much better on the ground than I thought he would be. Also gave 200% effort and constantly looked for the ball.
    McCarthy - decent game particularly with Thomas in front of him
    Weaver - did alright. Couldn't really tell from where I sat as to whether he should have done better with their goals
    Magic - not the finished article but with confidence will be a big player for us
    Fortune - very tentative first half. Much better 2nd. I thought the sun played a part in the tentative defensive display as he/we looked edgy when the ball was hit high towards us.
    Bent - didn't think he had a terrible game (not by last seasons standard anyway)
    Reid - much better when played on the left in second half. He really is a classy player
    Thomas - typical performance. Absolute shite in the first half, rampant and almost untouchable in the second
    Thatcher - Not at his best, maybe carrying an injury
    Ambrose - Typical performance, some strong runs but too much dross mixed in.
    Semedo - Better at left back
    ZZ - I really like him and he didn't disappoint. Hardly gave a missed pass, and looked full of energy.
    Toddy - I really think to describe him as a "poor mans JJ" is really unfair. He looked clever, his touches were good, he looked a much better partner for Big Chris than Bent
    Faye - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Pards - got it wrong in the first half. Switching Thomas and Reid in the second made a huge difference and bringing on Toddy who ballanced the attack better. Didn't go all negative after we equalised.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite] Weaver - did alright. Couldn't really tell from where I sat as to whether he should have done better with their goals

Don't think he could have done anything about either of them.

Want to see the "save" at the other end though- when's the highlights programme on??
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    My shout on the game

Pards got it wrong, and has been til now, he changed it second half though so credit there. Deffo a potential turning point moment, if we hadn't made a glorious comeback we could have started a serious spiral.

Samedo is far too negative and unneccesarily so at this level- would make a good full back tho. Playing Mac at right back was also a poor decision I feel, Samedo would have been a far better choice.

Thomas and Reid played great when allowed to play on their correct flanks, odd one that....

Ambrose was utter crap until he realised you can run at defences, and was then a lot better, I still feel he's a luxury player tho and would prefer Reid in there, and another winger.

Thatcher - either past it or carrying a knock or something, who knows..

Bent, Chris etc - I rate big Chris and have been saying so for some while, he looks like a centre forward, can hold the ball up, win headers, lay the ball of to the other forward, and now we see he can turn and shoot. He is everything Bent is not. Starting with those two up front however was a huge gamble, pls don't repeat it...

ZZ - we lacked a core in the midfield first half, I am hoping he is the man.

I just hope Pards sees sense from the second half, and doesn't just see it as a blip. Lets hope something like that balance is what we see Tuesday and onwards.