Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 'what do you know about Sheffield Wednesday' thread

Comments

• Their blue and white kit is a tribute to the former use of the hillsborough site. Prior to being a football ground it was the location for europe's largest sanitary towel factory. The white stripes represent the towels, whilst the blue represent the fluid used to test their absorbancy.
  • Robert Lee a former Turnstile at the Valley scored our First Top Flight goal at Selhurst v Sheffield Wednesday in a 1-1 draw in front of 8,500 fans.
  • I wonder if there's a Sheffield Wednesday forum slating us in the same vein right now somewhere?!
  • As I recall is Sheffield Wednesday not the home to the legendary Steak & Potato Pie's ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Robert Lee a former Turnstile at the Valley scored our First Top Flight goal at Selhurst v Sheffield Wednesday in a 1-1 draw in front of 8,500 fans.

Back in the good old days when metal was hard to come by and men were employed to stretch their arms out as wide as they could and spin round to allow entry when a valid match ticket was put in their mouth. One of my fondest memories of the old valley.
  • Ronnie Moore scoring a consolation goal in a 4-1 defeat (I think?) in the mid 1980's ups at Hillsborough and he celebrated with a pathetic rollie pollie style celebration!!! I think the game was shown on the MOTD highlights that evening.
  • Robert Lee a former Turnstile at the Valley scored our First Top Flight goal at Selhurst v Sheffield Wednesday in a 1-1 draw in front of 8,500 fans.

Was Robert Lee a turnstyle operator then ???????????????????
  • edited August 2007
    According to the last football factory their top boy took a bit of a beating at our cup game, sure some of you's witnessed it anyway! remember the programme and he went on about it.

and from what i heard from one of the landlords - police precense will be higher tomorrow cos of it.

how do i know this? think im mixing in the wrong circles!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]According to the last football factory their top boy took a bit of a beating at our cup game, sure some of you's witnessed it anyway! remember the programme and he went on about it.

was that the thick northern prick with the long hair who also appeared on a jeremy kyle type programme about hoolies?
  • Sponsored links:

• As a 15 year old I got lamped by one of these loveable nothern monkeys when waiting for my mate ountside Charlton station. The black eye was worthy of an entry in the guiness book of records. If I bump into the old fecker tomorrow I will spend the next two weeks jumping up and down on his head FACT

He will be in his 60s now so the chance of me winning are good.........
  • another row you lost then?
  • edited August 2007
    No I won - he spent three days in hospital having his shattered hand repaired......
  • not sure what he looked Glass. i think he did have longish hair.

1905? sounds nasty but surely fair game, same age and all that.
  • Sheffield build an international standard swimming pool so they could host international competition and spent severall million pounds in doing so only to find they actually build it 15cm too short and as such it could never be used in international competition...
  • Imre Varadi's father was a famous Hollywood film star.
  • edited September 2008
    It is a typical northern town full of northern monkeys who think they are the dogs gonads.

The best thing about Sheffield is the road out.
  • Sheffield is known as 'Rome of The North' , not because it's surrounded by by seven hills but the River Don is in fact a tributary of the River Tiber and if you say 'eternal city' with a south Yorkshire accent it sounds like 'Geoffrey Boycott'.

Sheffield also has the largest sewerage works in Europe. It's called Rotherham.
  • Sheffield Wednesday's record appearances are jointly shared by Albert Stanley and Stanley Albert, who despite reaching 628 games each pre First World War (Albert 1887 - 1906 and Stanley 1906 - 1914) only managed to play on the same side once in a 6-1 away defeat to Accrington Stanley - (Stanley scoring all the goals).

In a tragic turn of fate, both Albert and Stanley where killed on the First Day of the Somme whilst serving with the Sheffield Pals, killed by British shellfire from the Accrington Pals filed artillery.
  • lol addickted
  • Sponsored links:

• Funnily enough MCS, Imre Varadi's father - you know the one, the famous Hollywood film star - had the same first name as you.
  • oliver reed!
  • They've got their own Tango man. Do you remember that fat bald fella that was allowed to walk through the covered end last time we played them? He got a lot of applause.
  • No, Oli Varadi.
  • oh i never eard of any of therse oli's! i am the most famous one i thought!
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]oliver reed!
    oh god! just the first name MCS!
  • first name, what your first name! sorry its been a long weeek!
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]No, Oli Varadi.

completely over his head Addickted.........
  • Who, oli varadi? is he a thickie too??
  • His mate Stanley rested on his laurels, MCS.