Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Purchasing a new laptop.

Laptop will only be used for work so doesn't require high specs, although for some reason it needs to run Windows 7 Pro edition.

Any advice on good companies to use will be very appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Got a "Acer" "Extensa 5230E".

Had it for 2 years and I still haven't managed to break it !
  • This lot are good for end of line or refurbished kit - I've used them in the past:

Morgans

I've used this company as well and they're ok:

Ebuyer

This used to be Dabs, but got taken over - worth a look:

BT Business Direct

If you need any more help/advice, give me a shout (or a whisper).
  • Cheers Saga, the last link looks the most promising!
  • edited August 15
    Our old Acer has finally given up the ghost.
    Need to get a new laptop. Mainly for the basics but my youngest son has decided to take up DJing!
    For the software he needs to run I think he needs an i5 or i7 processor.
    Looking at maybe a refurb to save a few pennies.
    If I can get one for under £300 I'll be happy.
    Anyone got any recommendations of the best place to pick one up?
  • You should be able to get an i5 or i7 reasonably cheaply. Worth looking on ebay. My laptop is getting on but it does everything I need it to do and is set up just how I want it and I am dreading the day it gives up the ghost. I did get it cleaned inside and had new thermal paste applied a couple of years ago to prolong its life.
  • I'd definitely recommend looking at refurbished - I got the laptop I use for music production from Backmarket and saved a decent wedge by doing so. Absolutely no issues with it a few years down the line. 
  • Never had an issue with Morgan Computers over the years.  I can recommend them for refurbished.
  • I’ve just treated myself to a new laptop: Samsun Ultra 4 (touch screen) and I enjoy using it.
  • MY HP is strong, quick and has a lovely big touchscreen.  Honestly can't fault it.....apart from the weight maybe
  • Sponsored links:

• hermann said:
    I'd definitely recommend looking at refurbished - I got the laptop I use for music production from Backmarket and saved a decent wedge by doing so. Absolutely no issues with it a few years down the line. 
    I have bought mobiles from Backmarket that have lasted far longer than I had expected, but I bought a refurbished Lenovo laptop for £800, the motherboard died after 18 months. Not sure I would buy refurbed laptop again!
  • Kap10 said:
    hermann said:
    I'd definitely recommend looking at refurbished - I got the laptop I use for music production from Backmarket and saved a decent wedge by doing so. Absolutely no issues with it a few years down the line. 
    I have bought mobiles from Backmarket that have lasted far longer than I had expected, but I bought a refurbished Lenovo laptop for £800, the motherboard died after 18 months. Not sure I would buy refurbed laptop again!
    Ah rubbish, sorry to hear it. Have had a similar experience with mobiles and equally good (touch wood) with the laptop so far. 
  • hermann said:
     Exactly what I've done cheers 
    Got a Dell from an online store called Combro technology.
  • edited August 16
    Some of the problems with refurbished laptops is poor battery life, dust and dirt and the need for new thermal paste. I would say most cheap companies probably don't cover these off, even not doing a thorough internal clean, and then they are more likely to fail. One option is to buy a really cheap one online and sort these out yourself or getting a local computer repair person to do for you. You are not repairing you are cleaning so it is a straightforward job although replacing thermal paste is a bit more difficult. If your battery is not the best get a replacement online. Or buy from a company that says it does this even if it is a bit more expensive.

Even if you have a laptop from new, the thermal paste should be replaced after about 4 years as well as an internal clean. If you are handy, you may find a video on you tube how to do it on your laptop.
  • Thermal paste?

Who knew!
  • Off_it said:
    Thermal paste?

Who knew!
    I thought that’s what screen protectors were to protect against?