Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

60 years on, RIP.

It was sixty years ago today we lost JP Richardson ( The Big Bopper ), Richie Valens and Buddy Holly. We will never know what they might have gone on to do. They all made their mark on music, but of course Buddy was the big " what might have been". RIP Gentlemen, and thank you for the music.

Comments

• The day the music died RIP
  • Did you see the musical “Buddy”. A great tribute and foot stomping evening.
  • I know he shouldnt have been piloting that plane but I still think we should R.I.P the pilot as well R.I.P Roger Peterson
  • RIP to the great Buddy Holly, Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens
  • edited February 2019
    I think Holly’s music still sounds fresh, 60 years on. About the best tribute to your music you could have, I guess. Makes it timeless. :+1:
  • Currently watching "Classic Albums" on iPlayer. American Pie, Don McLean, Fantastic album.
  • I know he shouldnt have been piloting that plane but I still think we should R.I.P the pilot as well R.I.P Roger Peterson

Of course Neil. RIP.
  • The impact that Buddy Holly made on music was incredible, even more so when you consider he died at 22 years old.
  • For me Buddy Holly was as much a rock n roll icon as Jerry Lee, Little Richard and Elvis, only his song writing took him to another level, and he was what, 19-21 when he wrote those legendary songs that defined a generation.
    My old man knew country star Waylon Jennings very well and I remember him saying that one drunken emotional night Jennings told him about how he (Jennings) gave his seat up to the Big Bopper for that fatal flight.
  • Sponsored links:

• @wwtone has written a book about Holly
  • Both Buddy Holly and Duncan Edwards were young and at the top of their respective careers at the tender age 22 and 21.

Life can be cruel when two young mega talents died in plane crashes in 59 and 58.
    If both had stayed fit and healthy and motivated they would of been GOAT.

On second thoughts both Buddy and Duncan were all ready in that Category.
  • Whilst my music tastes are eclectic, they are predominantly influenced by the likes of Depeche Mode, Radiohead, James, Editors, Eddie Vedder, George Michael.

However, in my opinion, I don't think that there has been a more iconic and transformational person when it comes to today's 'popular' music than Buddy Holly. Many will (understandably) argue that Presley holds that mantra, but when you consider Holly's age and what he had already produced by the time he sadly died, I think he's unequaled.

I listen to him regularly, have seen the 'musical' countless times (originally in the West End and now whenever it's on the road), and a visit to Lubbock, Texas is high on my bucket list.

RIP

This, not forgetting the Presley didn't write songs, he was just the pretty boy, the Rick Astley of the 50's if you like.
  • Greenie said:

Whilst my music tastes are eclectic, they are predominantly influenced by the likes of Depeche Mode, Radiohead, James, Editors, Eddie Vedder, George Michael.

However, in my opinion, I don't think that there has been a more iconic and transformational person when it comes to today's 'popular' music than Buddy Holly. Many will (understandably) argue that Presley holds that mantra, but when you consider Holly's age and what he had already produced by the time he sadly died, I think he's unequaled.

I listen to him regularly, have seen the 'musical' countless times (originally in the West End and now whenever it's on the road), and a visit to Lubbock, Texas is high on my bucket list.

RIP

This, not forgetting the Presley didn't write songs, he was just the pretty boy, the Rick Astley of the 50's if you like.
    Bit harsh old chap. He was fortunate to blessed with a great voice and good looks, but he also helped break down racial barriers and taboos at a time when that was a brave thing to do. Buddy always cited him as one of his influences, after all.
  • Greenie said:

Whilst my music tastes are eclectic, they are predominantly influenced by the likes of Depeche Mode, Radiohead, James, Editors, Eddie Vedder, George Michael.

RIP

Bit harsh old chap. He was fortunate to blessed with a great voice and good looks, but he also helped break down racial barriers and taboos at a time when that was a brave thing to do. Buddy always cited him as one of his influences, after all.
    Maybe, but for me Little Richard is the King of RnR, I guess Buddy Holly had to cite Elvis, because he was the first.
    For me music starts with the song writers, without them the likes of Presley have no act at all, Holly on the other hand was the real deal IMO.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

RIP

Maybe, but for me Little Richard is the King of RnR, I guess Buddy Holly had to cite Elvis, because he was the first.
    For me music starts with the song writers, without them the likes of Presley have no act at all, Holly on the other hand was the real deal IMO.
    Yes I do take your point Greenie, I was being quite literal when I said a bit harsh.
  • As Henry says I did produce a book on Buddy and The Crickets about two years ago.

Here is the link -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crickets-Decades-Rock-Roll-Memories/dp/1530526205/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549305302&sr=8-1&keywords=the+crickets+six+decades

Always happy to sell a few more copies :-)

It is about 580 pages and sells for not much over £20.

• Sponsored links:

• Another one that may interest Holly fans. Playing in Dartford on 20th May....

https://www.walkrightback.com/dates
  • Funny but I always think it's between chuck berry and buddy myself

• Another one that may interest Holly fans. Playing in Dartford on 20th May.... https://www.walkrightback.com/dates
    My old pal Phil is bass player in the show...