Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stokes joins Sunderland........

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
Done deal....2 mil

Comments

• Options
    How many do you reckon he'll put past us next season?
  • Options

His goals will get them promoted ;-)
  • Options
    to be fair i'm glad we havent got him. his attitude seems to have stunk all the way through.

agrees to charlton move and tells the media
    has medical at charlton and then goes and talks to Celtic
    reaffirms his intention to join charlton on 4 1/2 deal
    talks to Roy Keane and he confuses himself
    joins sunderland
  • Options
    Let's hope it's as many as Jon Stead did. Shame as he looked like a prospect
  • Options
    He has to join the list of strikers we narrowly missed out on like Jonathan Stead and John Aloisi.

A pity JFH is not on that list too.
  • Options
    Can't blame him. The way we are at the moment it could ruin his career playing for us before it's even started.

He's joining a club on the up and he won't be exposed to the Premier League at only 18, with a club who's players couldn't be more gutless.
  • Options
    Spoke to a guy who used to play for Rangers yesterday who is one of Chelsea's scouts. He was shocked that he wanted to join us rather than Celtic. Apparently the boy is lightning quick, Once he's away you don't catch him end of. Would have been a good player for us in Championship.
  • Options
    Maybe we should move for another Arsenal loanee Lupoli. Remember seeing him tear our reserves apart a couple of years back. Actually how many strikers have Arsenal got, Henry, Adebayor, van Persie, Walcott, Aliadiere, Lupoli and Bendtner. Not a bad strike force!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandSinger[/cite]to be fair i'm glad we havent got him. his attitude seems to have stunk all the way through.

or it could simply be a young kid who really don't know what to do for the best. Has probably got different 'advisors' telling him all sorts of things, but if his heart isn't with us, i'm glad he hasn't joined.

Think we also would of put a lot of pressure on an 18yr old to perform from the off.

Think it might be quite telling Arsenal are prepared to let him go so early.
  • Options
    If he's that good why are Arsenal letting him go and not loaning him out for another year, it's not as though he's behind several other strikers at the Emirates stadium is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've never seen him play so I can't pass any judgement on him.

I will say though that there is a big difference in an Arsenal quality player and a Charlton quality player.

Look at Sidwell for an example. Left early on because wasn't seen as good enough for Arsenal. Few years on and I think everyone on this board would love him in our midfield.
  • Options
    exactly tricky, since when can we say 'not good enough for arsenal, not good enough for us'?
  • Options
    Wenger doesn't often get this sort of thing too wrong IMHO.
  • Options
    Remember Francis Jeffers/Wenger/Arsenal teenage starlet
  • Options
    Christ, what a load of negative shite is being talked on here about Stokes.
    Come on! I mean, if this guy is so great and such a future superstar then why were his choices between Charlton (2nd bottom EPL), Sunderland (10th in Div 1) and Celtic (admittedly Kings of Sweatyland but notoriously crap payers)?
    If this guy was any kind of Darren Bent Mk II then a) Arsene Wenger would have played him by now and b) He would have had a lot of other EPL clubs after him.
    No offence to the Jocks but how many of their strikers have come down and scored goals in the EPL? More to the point, how many of them have even been pursued by EPL clubs?
    Goals at Falkirk are all well and good but £2 million is a massive gamble on a young kid and its obviously the Keane connection that has swung the deal. Chances are we have probably had a lucky escape.
    Look, we just have to face facts that we are not a very attractive proposition right now but if we are relegated (which seems likely) then we will be one of the stronger clubs in the CCC and in a position to sign some of the better players needed to get back into the EPL.
    At the moment we are caught between a rock and a hard place because of the uncertainty and that's why we are finding signings thin on the ground.