Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

End of Steer and the Diamond?

Comments

• Options
    I'd definitely suggest going 3-5-2 on Saturday with Solly as a make shift Centre-Back

Reeves can then play LWB (He played there against AFC Wimbledon) and Lapslie can play RWB
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

I don't rate Steer but I think this is a case of a player becoming 'better' when he's on the bench. Both make more mistakes than a good League 1 keeper should.

What mistakes has Phillips made.

He was very harshly dropped
    Perhaps no glaring mistakes, he should have saved at least of the 3 goals he has let in. However, the same could be said of Steer and I agree he was harshly dropped.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

First defeat since August. Not seen yesterday's game but sounds like we defended poorly. However, seems very premature to me to start suggesting that we need to change formation or make other significant alterations.

We've got a ridiculously thin squad, you can't get around that fact, no matter how much you juggle the team.

We're not great defensively - how much is down to formation and how much to the players I don't know.

We may not have the best squad but Accrington are in 5th with a wage bill of about 50p.
    Agreed, but we are good going forward. It's difficult to have both when you're operating on a limited budget. I'd take the odd defeat like last night in return for the results that have preceded it.

MrLargo said:

First defeat since August. Not seen yesterday's game but sounds like we defended poorly. However, seems very premature to me to start suggesting that we need to change formation or make other significant alterations.

We've got a ridiculously thin squad, you can't get around that fact, no matter how much you juggle the team.

As a whole the squad isn't thin now, but all the "spare players" are more attacking options. Defensively we lacked cover, but we're also slightly unlucky to have Bauer, Page and probably Bielik all out at the same time.

Marshall at LB isn't brilliant, but probably the least worst alternative. Solly back at RB, Djiksteel into midfield as a shield?
    Compare the numbers we've lost to the numbers brought in since the end of last season, I would say it is a thin squad across the board. Don't forget we couldn't even fill the subs bench at the start of the season, we've only brought a couple in since then.
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

Laddick01 said:

I don't rate Steer but I think this is a case of a player becoming 'better' when he's on the bench. Both make more mistakes than a good League 1 keeper should.

Without digging back through all the games the first goal at Sunderland stood out. Whilst not being a howler, it’s a shot a keeper should save at this level.
    If you watch Match of the Day on a Saturday you could make the same argument for a lot of the goals that go in - not every keeper saves everything. Some of our fans just want to dig Phillips out.

Hugo Lloris gifted a goal in the World Cup Final so I'm assuming he wouldn't be good enough for Charlton?

Phillips looks to be a better shot stopper than Steer to me and seems more commanding. His distribution can be worked on but to me he seems well up to L1 standard.

A good keeper limits his mistakes but Steer seems to be struggling.

Not really a fair comparison, you can’t compare a keeper who’s proven himself at the highest level to one that hasn’t been fancied by multiple managers at league 1 level.

From what we’ve seen from both this season I’d actually go with Phillips next game, but I think Bowyer will stick with Steer.
  • Options
    1 in defeat in 7 and suddenly it's time to make huge changes?

We are a defender short, we always have been. Having Bauer, Bielik and Page out is unlucky, but Bowyer's 1 mistake in the transfer window was failing to bring a defender in.
  • Options
    Bauer is also a big miss.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

We're not great defensively - how much is down to formation and how much to the players I don't know.

We may not have the best squad but Accrington are in 5th with a wage bill of about 50p.
    Agreed, but we are good going forward. It's difficult to have both when you're operating on a limited budget. I'd take the odd defeat like last night in return for the results that have preceded it.

MrLargo said:

As a whole the squad isn't thin now, but all the "spare players" are more attacking options. Defensively we lacked cover, but we're also slightly unlucky to have Bauer, Page and probably Bielik all out at the same time.

Marshall at LB isn't brilliant, but probably the least worst alternative. Solly back at RB, Djiksteel into midfield as a shield?
    Compare the numbers we've lost to the numbers brought in since the end of last season, I would say it is a thin squad across the board. Don't forget we couldn't even fill the subs bench at the start of the season, we've only brought a couple in since then.
    We've brought in 4 since Sunderland (Steer, Bielik, Cullen and Ward) plus have Fosu, Reeves and Djiksteel back from injury/illness. Attacking wise we have enough depth.
  • Options

Steer and the diamond were excellent just 18 days ago when I watched it at Bradford. Are we seriously panicking already!?

Not panic - reality check given Bauer and Page injuries and lack of confidence in Steer.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    1StevieG said:

Pratley is a bit of a walking time bomb. Brought in to add a bit of steel in midfield but is guaranteed a booking every game.

I'd definitely suggest going 3-5-2 on Saturday with Solly as a make shift Centre-Back

Reeves can then play LWB (He played there against AFC Wimbledon) and Lapslie can play RWB

You're playing three players out of position in your suggested formation (Lapslie, Reeves and Solly), do you think that's wise?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1StevieG said:

Pratley is a bit of a walking time bomb. Brought in to add a bit of steel in midfield but is guaranteed a booking every game.

You're playing three players out of position in your suggested formation (Lapslie, Reeves and Solly), do you think that's wise?
    All three have proven they can play in their respective positions though.

Its not like Bowyer is asking them to do a job they've never done before
  • Options
    Last 2 games have shown how much we miss Bauer

Our best defender by a mile
  • Options

Last 2 games have shown how much we miss Bauer

Our best defender by a mile

Agreed, seemed to have a good partnership going with Pearce.
  • Options
    1 goal a fluked corner, 1 goal a penalty 1 goal a misplaced midfield pass 1 goal sloppy defence of set play and 1 goal conceded when stopped defending to try and equalise. Is this showing it’s a problem with formation?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

1 goal a fluked corner, 1 goal a penalty 1 goal a misplaced midfield pass 1 goal sloppy defence of set play and 1 goal conceded when stopped defending to try and equalise. Is this showing it’s a problem with formation?

It is if you apply the old adage of defending starts from the front and if what you have in front of you leeks like a sieve because we don't have adequate cover in key positions. The alternative is to set up more defensively.
  • Options

That went well
  • Options
    I hope not - I'd try to fit Lapslie in there. I think the issue is when we have the ball we look excellent, but without it and for 50/50s, we lose out too often. A very busy player like Pritchard was for us in this league when we won it and that could possibly be Lapslie could help.
  • Options
    Ignore the keeper aspect completely for now, I know who I’d prefer but that’s a matter of opinion, so maybe a different type of move to go with.

Bielik Pearce Sarr
    Marshall Cullen Aribo Solly
    Fosu
    Grant Taylor

Dijksteel, Lapslie, Morgan, Reeves, Vetokele, Ajose
  • Options

I hope not - I'd try to fit Lapslie in there. I think the issue is when we have the ball we look excellent, but without it and for 50/50s, we lose out too often. A very busy player like Pritchard was for us in this league when we won it and that could possibly be Lapslie could help.

Bowyer trusts Lapslie.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

It is if you apply the old adage of defending starts from the front and if what you have in front of you leeks like a sieve because we don't have adequate cover in key positions. The alternative is to set up more defensively.
    We can't set up more defensively as we won't be attacking so much.
    With me on 90+ goals at 250/1 for a fiver I vote we attack more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it isn't about setting up more defensively but competing better without the ball in the middle.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

RedChaser said:

No issues with that mate as long as we outscore the oppo, trouble is we could've achieved that last night but failed to take our decent chances, especially in the first half.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

clb74 said:

RedChaser said:

No issues with that mate as long as we outscore the oppo, trouble is we could've achieved that last night but failed to take our decent chances, especially in the first half.
    Way it's looking with the defence we need to score at least 4 every game
  • Options
    From what i have seen Steer and Dillon are Much of a muchness , never understood bringing an up an coming like for like GK in as surley if we are going to develop someone it should be one of our own.
  • Options
    But we needed cover and this way we have it I suppose - At Dillon's expense!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Something that will improve the defense is not having Pratley at the base of the diamond. Bad mistake from Bowyer there, which he eventually fixed by switching him with Cullen. Pratley lacks the tactical discipline the play there. And generally, he looks like a player who has relied on his athleticism most of his career but whose legs are going and as a result he's half a yard late to everything. He's yet to really change or evolve his game accordingly.

Re Phillips, the goal against Sunderland was a bad mistake and the goal against Southend was a mistake. Phillips also looked very, very nervous at times with the ball at his feet. Steer isn't perfect, but I'd argue nothing he's conceded has been as bad as those two goals. And we've been far, far more open in recent games than we were at the start of the season.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Laddick01 said:

Laddick01 said:

Without digging back through all the games the first goal at Sunderland stood out. Whilst not being a howler, it’s a shot a keeper should save at this level.
    If you watch Match of the Day on a Saturday you could make the same argument for a lot of the goals that go in - not every keeper saves everything. Some of our fans just want to dig Phillips out.

Hugo Lloris gifted a goal in the World Cup Final so I'm assuming he wouldn't be good enough for Charlton?

Phillips looks to be a better shot stopper than Steer to me and seems more commanding. His distribution can be worked on but to me he seems well up to L1 standard.

A good keeper limits his mistakes but Steer seems to be struggling.

Not really a fair comparison, you can’t compare a keeper who’s proven himself at the highest level to one that hasn’t been fancied by multiple managers at league 1 level.

From what we’ve seen from both this season I’d actually go with Phillips next game, but I think Bowyer will stick with Steer.
    It is a fair comparison if you're going to be hyper critical of a L1 keeper. It's easy to go through a lot of goals at the highest level and to make a case they could have been saved - It's often down to positioning and this they sometimes get wrong.

Watching Steer and Phillips I'd make the case Steer is a poorer shot stopper based on what I've seen. He's not in the same league as Amos and I don't understand why we're playing him?

I don't see the logic of playing a loan player ahead of our own player unless they are an improvement. If I compare the goals Phillips has let in with those Steer has conceded I wouldn't put my faith in Steer.

I'd be interested to know why Bowyer sticks with Steer and whether this is down to the loan agreement. If Phillips is our keeper I'd prefer him to be getting more experience unless the club just want to ship him out.

Ultimately all keepers make mistakes but the best ones minimise this.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Now the reason Bow put Steer in front of Phillips was his distribution. Now I always thought a goalkeeper was there to keep a ball out of the net, not to be next the Franz Beckenbauer!

My view was always that Steve Bruce loaned Steer to Bowyer/Charlton on the understanding that he would play. Its rare, I would have thought, that an established keeper is loaned for a season as a back up to sit on the bench? Whether that was a gentleman's agreement that is now null and void in light of Villa sacking Bruce or an official agreement obviously I wouldn't know.
  • Options
    Surprised Bowyer thinks Mascoll is not ready yet.

Can't call it a full squad if you have positions in which we have absolutely no cover for an injury prone player.
  • Options
    I trust Bowyer's judgment on Mascoll.