Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brondby - chokers!!!

Brondby has for many years been the strongest side in Danish football. But since 2005, they haven't won the title. Mainly because of FC Copenhagen, who have taken over as being the most dominant side. Anyway, finally, this looked like finally being the year for Brondby. With 3 rounds remaining, they led by 3 points (and a better goal difference) to FC Midtjylland. Their remaining programme: FC Midtjylland at home, Horsens (weak) away and Aalborg (weak) at home. FC Midtjylland had Brøndby (tough) away, FC Copenhagen (tough) away and then Horsens (weak) at home. Also had an easier remaining fixture list than FCM.

Someone even had a 'The Double 2018' tattoo done, prior to the cup final (which they won).

FC Midtjylland beat Brondby 2-0.
Then they went on to beat FC Copenhagen 2-0.
No need to panic for Brondby though. They just needed to beat a weak Horsens team.
Then they could lift the trophy at home, when they beat Aalborg.

Brondby were up 2-0 at half time. Still lead 2-0 in the 90th minute, when Horsens had a free kick just outside the box.
Goal!
Suddenly it was squeaky bum time for Brondby.
(Brondby in their blue away strip - they normally play in yellow).

https://youtu.be/7U-qeAJTKnQ

Horsens are celebrating, like they won the title. They didn't, however spoiling the party for Brondby is priceless.

FC Midtjylland won't lose at home to Horsens. Another disappointing season for Brondby...
(Gawd, I love this game)

Comments

• I've been to the Brondby ground - saw them beat Dundee Utd 2-0 in the EUFA Cup, about 1993.

• One of my best mates at uni was a Brondby fan from Copenhagen and would spit when you mentioned FC Kobenhavn's name.

You've just given me an excuse to get back in touch.
  • So they don’t play the last game of the season at the same time ?
    Stewards
  • edited May 2018
    Oggy Red said:

I've been to the Brondby ground - saw them beat Dundee Utd 2-0 in the EUFA Cup, about 1993.

Heck. I was there too. I was attending a conference in Copenhagen. I remember the DUFC fans chanting incessantly “Dundee United we will never be defeat’d”.
  • Huskaris said:

One of my best mates at uni was a Brondby fan from Copenhagen and would spit when you mentioned FC Kobenhavn's name.

You've just given me an excuse to get back in touch.

Trust me, I hate FC Copenhagen as much as Brondby, if not more.
    FC Copenhagen is a 1992 merger between KB (from 1876) and B1903. Foul.
  • Can’t understand a word of that Australian accent. What part of Brondby beach is that?
  • Don’t mind Brondby actually. A proper football club with proper fans. Much prefer them to FCK. I see them as the Chelsea of Danish football.
  • Oggy Red said:

I've been to the Brondby ground - saw them beat Dundee Utd 2-0 in the EUFA Cup, about 1993.

Was renovated in 1999. Looks very different from the

Don’t mind Brondby actually. A proper football club with proper fans. Much prefer them to FCK. I see them as the Chelsea of Danish football.

Agree, a proper football club, especially compared to FC Copenhagen (and another merger, FC Midtjylland).
    Still, as an OB Odense supporter, I hate them with passion.
  • So they don’t play the last game of the season at the same time ?
    Stewards

This wasn't the last game. One round left.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018
    And they lost the title.
    FC Midtjylland beat Horsens 1-0 at home.
    Brondby only managed a 1-1 draw (where they equalised in the 90th minute).

What a collapse.
    3 points in the last 4 rounds, where FC Midtjylland managed the maximum 12. That included away games to Brondby and FC Copenhagen. Impressive.
  • Danepak said:

And they lost the title.

What a collapse.
    3 points in the last 4 rounds, where FC Midtjylland managed the maximum 12. That included away games to Brondby and FC Copenhagen. Impressive.

I will be in Sweden to see the mighty Elfsborg late September. Would the Superligan have started by then?

I will be near Malmo for a couple of days so could pop across the bridge and take in a game.
  • Danepak said:

And they lost the title.

What a collapse.

F.C. Midtjylland a merger of Herning Fremad and Ikast , used to play for Herning in the early 80s , great news for them .
  • Danepak said:

And they lost the title.

What a collapse.

I will be in Sweden to see the mighty Elfsborg late September. Would the Superligan have started by then?

I will be near Malmo for a couple of days so could pop across the bridge and take in a game.
    I'm pretty certain that the season would have started by then.
  • edited May 2018

Danepak said:

And they lost the title.

What a collapse.

Superligan seems to start at the end of July going by Brondby's results this season...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_Br%C3%B8ndby_IF_season
  • Just returned from 10 days in Denmark, unfortunately our schedule meant I was unable to attend any games. I have adopted AGF as my Danish team since my eldest son is on an exchange from his Canadian university to the University of Aarhus. Did manage to see their away victory against Odense on TV though. Looks like they have qualified for the Europa League play off final against FC Copenhagen on Friday. Have to admit that I find their play off system very confusing - Not sure how a team that finishes 10th in a 14 team division is one game from a Europa spot?? That said it looks more interesting than our system.

This was our first time in Scandinavia. Spent 4 days in Tromso, Norway as well as a quick trip to Malmo. We loved it. Copenhagen is a magnificent city and Aarhus was very cool also.
  • Have mentioned it on here before but met Michael Laudrup and Jon “Faxe” Jensen on a Monday night in the Prince Albert, Bexleyheath when Brondby were over here and training at Charlton. Extremely random......
  • edited May 2018
    HandG said:

Have mentioned it on here before but met Michael Laudrup and Jon “Faxe” Jensen on a Monday night in the Prince Albert, Bexleyheath when Brondby were over here and training at Charlton. Extremely random......

I remember a behind closed doors friendly between Charlton and Brondby at The Valley. Must have been back in 03 or 04.
  • HandG said:

Have mentioned it on here before but met Michael Laudrup and Jon “Faxe” Jensen on a Monday night in the Prince Albert, Bexleyheath when Brondby were over here and training at Charlton. Extremely random......

Aha ..... connections between Brondby and Charlton. :smile:
    Danepak said:

HandG said:

I remember a behind closed doors friendly between Charlton and Brondby at The Valley. Must have been back in 03 or 04.
    I'd forgotten that one. The 'St Johnstone' of Denmark.

As I've already been to their ground and seen them play, they qualify as 'my favourite Danish club' :smile:

PS: It was 25 years ago now, but I'm fairly sure the name Brondby (in Danish, spelt with a slash through the letter 'o'),
    was pronounced something like Born-boo .... ?

• Oggy Red said:

HandG said:

Aha ..... connections between Brondby and Charlton. :smile:
    Danepak said:

HandG said:

I'd forgotten that one. The 'St Johnstone' of Denmark.

As I've already been to their ground and seen them play, they qualify as 'my favourite Danish club' :smile:

PS: It was 25 years ago now, but I'm fairly sure the name Brondby (in Danish, spelt with a slash through the letter 'o'),
    was pronounced something like Born-boo .... ?

Correct, it's spelled Brøndby and is pronounced somewhat like Braahnbee
  • Sponsored links:

• Friendly was 2003, dire Friday afternoon kickabout but smashing people, especially the two fans that turned up for it. Doors were open for them!