Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Both sides of the debate seem to have played pretty fast and loose with facts in the lead-up to the referendum. That meant that falsehoods ("we send the EU £350m a week"), false promises ("...let's fund the NHS instead", an "emergency budget", promising not to resign in the event of a Leave vote) spin (various..!) and the most egregious acts of deliberate lying ("absolutely no-one is talking about threatening our place in the single market").

But it seems to me - and I am prepared to be persuaded otherwise, that those on the Leave side of the argument were (and are) far less questioning about the facts and far more forgiving about the lies than those on the Remain side.

Are Leavers more gullible? No, I don't think so. Are they less inquisitive and challenging? It would seem so.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Both sides of the debate seem to have played pretty fast and loose with facts in the lead-up to the referendum. That meant that falsehoods ("we send the EU £350m a week"), false promises ("...let's fund the NHS instead", an "emergency budget", promising not to resign in the event of a Leave vote) spin (various..!) and the most egregious acts of deliberate lying ("absolutely no-one is talking about threatening our place in the single market").

But it seems to me - and I am prepared to be persuaded otherwise, that those on the Leave side of the argument were (and are) far less questioning about the facts and far more forgiving about the lies than those on the Remain side.

Are Leavers more gullible? No, I don't think so. Are they less inquisitive and challenging? It would seem so.

The problem was simply that the Remain campaign act as if they were under normal electoral laws and as such did not make fraudulent claims to win votes, whereas Leave knew they wouldn't be censured or prosecuted for any fraud committed and made great use of that. Easy to win when you can make promises you can never ever deliver.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Rothko said:

Justine Greening speaks the Brexit truth that few Tories will admit
    Brexit hurt the Conservatives badly at the last election and could well have long-run implications on their ability to form future majority governments.

STEPHEN BUSH

In a surprise to absolutely no-one but Theresa May, Justine Greening used her new-found freedom from the Cabinet to sound a warning on Brexit (which her constituency largely opposes) and its impact on the young (which her constituency contains in large number).

It's easy to be cynical about her motives and it seems unlikely that the twin attraction of being a thorn in the side of a PM who treated Greening shabbily and whose allies briefed against her while maximising her hopes of holding onto her Putney seat don't play a role.

But she's also right. A great deal of sound and fury is being expended on the prospect of a second referendum before Brexit takes place. Absent a compelling plan to replace half of the Conservative parliamentary party and the Labour leadership too, that debate simply isn't worth anyone's time, as you can't get to 325 votes for a second referendum in the current House of Commons. (And as I explain in my column this week, the Labour leadership is well entrenched and likely in it for the long haul.)

The problem for Brexiteers is not that Brexit won't happen but that it will either be a failure economically and/or it will never expunge the cultural taint it carries among voters under 40. (Actually a Brexit which hits longterm growth is probably safe as it's always hard to argue a hypothetical. A Brexit that is identified with everything people dislike about the Tory party is going to struggle to maintain the support of 50 per cent + 1 of people even if it delivers blockbuster economic growth.)

Greening's intervention also speaks to a truth that few Conservatives have publicly acknowledged: which is that Brexit hurt them badly at the last election and there is a good chance that it will have long-run implications on their ability to form stable majority governments in future. Of the things May has done well since the election is publicly acknowledging the fears of Remainers, which helps to heal that particular Tory wound.

A great deal of faith is invested in the idea that Brexit will be “resolved” at the time of the next election and the Conservatives won't still have difficulties in Remain country. But the continuing impact of Nafta in the United States, a quarter of a century after it was signed shows that Tory difficulties wherever the 48 per cent gather in great numbers are unlikely to vanish simply as a result of the passage of time.

There simply is zero reason for anyone under 40 to vote Tory. They have been the target of Tory venom for the past 8 years and Brexit is simply the greatest of all betrayals of those who prop up the ageing population. Their values are simply incompatible with anyone born after the baby boom. Whether or not voters will remember the way they have been treated remains to be seen, but also all those loyal Brexit voters will eventually realise once the house of cards collapses what a con Brexit was. Just depends whether they believe the lies from the Sun and the Mail as well as UKIP that the failures of Brexit are because of Remainer saboteurs as opposed to the utter reprehensibility of those who orchestrated Brexit in the first place.
    Weell a simple way of avoiding your last point would be for Remainers to stop sabotaging Brexit.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Rothko said:

Justine Greening speaks the Brexit truth that few Tories will admit
    Brexit hurt the Conservatives badly at the last election and could well have long-run implications on their ability to form future majority governments.

STEPHEN BUSH

In a surprise to absolutely no-one but Theresa May, Justine Greening used her new-found freedom from the Cabinet to sound a warning on Brexit (which her constituency largely opposes) and its impact on the young (which her constituency contains in large number).

It's easy to be cynical about her motives and it seems unlikely that the twin attraction of being a thorn in the side of a PM who treated Greening shabbily and whose allies briefed against her while maximising her hopes of holding onto her Putney seat don't play a role.

But she's also right. A great deal of sound and fury is being expended on the prospect of a second referendum before Brexit takes place. Absent a compelling plan to replace half of the Conservative parliamentary party and the Labour leadership too, that debate simply isn't worth anyone's time, as you can't get to 325 votes for a second referendum in the current House of Commons. (And as I explain in my column this week, the Labour leadership is well entrenched and likely in it for the long haul.)

The problem for Brexiteers is not that Brexit won't happen but that it will either be a failure economically and/or it will never expunge the cultural taint it carries among voters under 40. (Actually a Brexit which hits longterm growth is probably safe as it's always hard to argue a hypothetical. A Brexit that is identified with everything people dislike about the Tory party is going to struggle to maintain the support of 50 per cent + 1 of people even if it delivers blockbuster economic growth.)

Greening's intervention also speaks to a truth that few Conservatives have publicly acknowledged: which is that Brexit hurt them badly at the last election and there is a good chance that it will have long-run implications on their ability to form stable majority governments in future. Of the things May has done well since the election is publicly acknowledging the fears of Remainers, which helps to heal that particular Tory wound.

A great deal of faith is invested in the idea that Brexit will be “resolved” at the time of the next election and the Conservatives won't still have difficulties in Remain country. But the continuing impact of Nafta in the United States, a quarter of a century after it was signed shows that Tory difficulties wherever the 48 per cent gather in great numbers are unlikely to vanish simply as a result of the passage of time.

There simply is zero reason for anyone under 40 to vote Tory. They have been the target of Tory venom for the past 8 years and Brexit is simply the greatest of all betrayals of those who prop up the ageing population. Their values are simply incompatible with anyone born after the baby boom. Whether or not voters will remember the way they have been treated remains to be seen, but also all those loyal Brexit voters will eventually realise once the house of cards collapses what a con Brexit was. Just depends whether they believe the lies from the Sun and the Mail as well as UKIP that the failures of Brexit are because of Remainer saboteurs as opposed to the utter reprehensibility of those who orchestrated Brexit in the first place.
    Weell a simple way of avoiding your last point would be for Remainers to stop sabotaging Brexit.
    As I pointed out it is a tabloid lie (and it was shown to be a lie on this thread last week) so the simple way of avoiding it is if liars stopped printing this lie and if people stopped being so gullible they believe a lie that is obviously false just because it fits in with their agenda.
  • Options
    is there anyone left on this forum who wants to defend this oaf ?

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - The Emirates Airline cable car
    - the buses
    - the idea of an airport in the estuary (i.e. Maplin Sands, rejected 40 odd years ago, for good reasons which apply today)
    - and the idea of a Channel Bridge (rejected 40 odd years ago, for good reasons which apply today)

What do all these projects have in common? They are all physical entities, things that can be looked at and associated with the person who would claim to have made them happen

Of course the other thing they have in common is that all which have come to fruition are massive failures, and costing you, the taxpayer,money. Today.
  • Options
    Boris: the Europeans can go whistle for extra money

Also Boris: we'll give the French £44m to handle their illegal immigrants and build a bridge for them too.
  • Options

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses
    - the idea of an airport in the estuary (i.e. Maplin Sands, rejected 40 odd years ago, for good reasons which apply today)
    - and the idea of a Channel Bridge (rejected 40 odd years ago, for good reasons which apply today)

What do all these projects have in common? They are all physical entities, things that can be looked at and associated with the person who would claim to have made them happen

Of course the other thing they have in common is that all which have come to fruition are massive failures, and costing you, the taxpayer,money. Today.
    Didn't Mrs T get the Dartford Bridge to happen ?
    Good thing or bad thing ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mrs T was an atrocious thing.
  • Options
    Massive deadcat form Boris, good way to distract from Macron telling some home truths about the City and Passporting
  • Options
    A couple of weeks ago Boris was recommending Toby Young. The astonishing arrogance of the man to think his recommendation would count for anything.
    He is the UK foreign secretary that worsens situations for UK prisoners in jail abroad.
    How on earth in a million years can anybody support him?
  • Options

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses

Only the beginning. Once he ousts Theresa he and his chum Trump can announce the building of a bridge across the Atlantic. U.K. end in Scotland obviously so we don’t have to pay the toll this end.

“Build that bridge”
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Chaz Hill said:

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses

Only the beginning. Once he ousts Theresa he and his chum Trump can announce the building of a bridge across the Atlantic. U.K. end in Scotland obviously so we don’t have to pay the toll this end.

“Build that bridge”
    Could we get Mexico to pay for the bridge?
  • Options
    guys a wally, granted at times a funny wally but not exactly ideal for a minister or a trait you need/should have. Should stick to presenting have I got news for you. He still seems popular in his constituency though which surprises me and somehow got to be Major for 8 years voted in twice over Livingstone.

Only met him once when he was Major and came to the primary school where I was a governor, the kids loved him which probably says it all. I don't think he'll ever be PM or leader of the Tories but stranger things have happened.

• Options

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses

Well, i do not think that Thatcher woke up one day and said "you know what?. That crossing needs a bridge" I believe that if she had anything at all to do with it, she simply intervened on the side of those advocating it. There were years of study by (brace yourself) experts addressing a problem, namely that the tunnel was reaching full capacity,and the M25 would make things much worse. (not sure of the exact chronology but sure about the problem).

The Tunnel doesn't have that problem. It's nowhere near full capacity, and until we see the effects of your beloved Brexit, most stakeholders are expecting that situation to remain. Eurostar cut trains in the autumn after Brexit.

I heard a couple of people who would earn money if a bridge was conceived, justifying it on the basis that "some people don't like a tunnel". FFS. My late Mum was one who said that, before we took her off to Lille for a Christmas lunch. I asked her if she did not recall her days commuting on the Tube. She made the journey three times subsequently. I don't much like flying in bad weather, but I just do it. I think I'd draw the line at crossing such a bridge in a Force 8 in January though. Of course I wouldn't be able to, they would close it.

What a ****ing stupid idea, the latest of several from one of the biggest planks ever to enter modern British government.

£900m his other projects have cost, @Valiantphil. And I forgot the bikes. Happy that you've paid for all that?

• Options
    edited January 2018

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses

Well, i do not think that Thatcher woke up one day and said "you know what?. That crossing needs a bridge" I believe that if she had anything at all to do with it, she simply intervened on the side of those advocating it. There were years of study by (brace yourself) experts addressing a problem, namely that the tunnel was reaching full capacity,and the M25 would make things much worse. (not sure of the exact chronology but sure about the problem).

The Tunnel doesn't have that problem. It's nowhere near full capacity, and until we see the effects of your beloved Brexit, most stakeholders are expecting that situation to remain. Eurostar cut trains in the autumn after Brexit.

I heard a couple of people who would earn money if a bridge was conceived, justifying it on the basis that "some people don't like a tunnel". FFS. My late Mum was one who said that, before we took her off to Lille for a Christmas lunch. I asked her if she did not recall her days commuting on the Tube. She made the journey three times subsequently. I don't much like flying in bad weather, but I just do it. I think I'd draw the line at crossing such a bridge in a Force 8 in January though. Of course I wouldn't be able to, they would close it.

What a ****ing stupid idea, the latest of several from one of the biggest planks ever to enter modern British government.

£900m his other projects have cost, @Valiantphil. And I forgot the bikes. Happy that you've paid for all that?

I'm sure the bikes were Ken's, you missed out on his water cannons. I don't really know what he contributed for Londoners
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I wonder why the bikes have been such a failure in London, bike sharing is a huge thing here and has done wonders for the health of the general population.
  • Options

I wonder why the bikes have been such a failure in London, bike sharing is a huge thing here and has done wonders for the health of the general population.

Never used them but problems I've heard are:

- shoddy bikes
    - not enough docks/bikes at most frequented stations
    - teething problems have tarnished reputation
    - cost
    - London is generally not particularly safe for even experienced cyclists
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

guys a wally, granted at times a funny wally but not exactly ideal for a minister or a trait you need/should have. Should stick to presenting have I got news for you. He still seems popular in his constituency though which surprises me and somehow got to be Major for 8 years voted in twice over Livingstone.

Only met him once when he was Major and came to the primary school where I was a governor, the kids loved him which probably says it all. I don't think he'll ever be PM or leader of the Tories but stranger things have happened.

It took me a while to click that you meant when he was "mayor" - I honestly thought Boris had some history in the army that I wasn't aware of!
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I stand corrected it was 900 million, still that would build a good wall, or build a few hospitals or pay a british worker UK economy is about £1800 bn annually. A study (sorry no link) a while ago targeted debt (measurable) vs declared wealth/assets and there was found to be a discrepancy of 25%. Deduced to be all the hidden tax havens in Panama etc. So 25% would be about £450bn

I stand corrected it was 900 million, still that would build a good wall, or build a few hospitals or pay a british worker proper wages.

UK economy is about £1800 bn annually. A study (sorry no link) a while ago targeted UK debt (measurable) vs declared wealth/assets and there was found to be a discrepancy of 25%. Deduced to be all the hidden tax havens in Panama etc. So 25% would be about £450bn per year! £900bn seems low even if 25% is high.
  • Options

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses

Government promised that Dartford crossing charges would cease when capital and costs were repaid. That was about a decade ago.
  • Options

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses

Government promised that Dartford crossing charges would cease when capital and costs were repaid. That was about a decade ago.
    Yes, then Tony / Gordon sold it to a French company and the decision was out of their hands.
  • Options

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses

A bit off-topic if you will permit, but.......
    UK smoking ban
    Good idea or bad idea ?
  • Options

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses

UK smoking ban
    Good idea or bad idea ?
    Has he claimed credit for that too? Ah of course, it begins with a "B". Boris Ban...

FFS
  • Options

As a reminder

- the Olympic Stadium
    - the Garden Bridge
    - the buses

UK smoking ban
    Good idea or bad idea ?
    Very good idea - though there wasn't a UK ban.

The differing legal systems made a single ban virtually impossible.

Scotland was the first to follow Ireland's example, and the rest of the UK followed on behind.
  • Options
    I met some Scots about year ago who said that many North of the border took the view that B Johnson and M Gove should face a trial for public deception over their 350 million extra funding for the N.H.S. if t did not happen.
  • Options

I met some Scots about year ago who said that many North of the border took the view that B Johnson and M Gove should face a trial for public deception over their 350 million extra funding for the N.H.S. if t did not happen.

I'm all for that, but which law exactly? Deceiving the public, not heard of that one. You'd have half the politicians in the country in the nick, if it existed.

I think they should both stand trial for, as Alfie in Peaky Blinders put it, "being a ****. "

• Options
    No lies told by the Remainers then?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!