Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Sat 7th April 1984. Charlton 1 Newcastle 3

2»

Comments

• Options

I got Keegans autograph as he got off the coach. Still got it somewhere.

I think they were promoted (or as good as) after this result.

Finally got round to digging this out

• Options
    went to both the Newcastle and Spurs games, 2 of the largest crowds I ever saw at the Valley, the Keven Keegan factor certainly put a few on the gate, my real memory though was a group of Charlton running across the pitch and around the old Marmon stand to have a go at the Newcastle fans, it really stuck with me as a 16 year old.

The Spurs game was the night before I joined the army so my head was everywhere but I have a vivid memory of Glen Hoddle in front of the Covered End picking up coins that had been thrown at him, winking and shoving them down his socks.

So two big games and its the disorder that stands out more than the football!
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

went to both the Newcastle and Spurs games, 2 of the largest crowds I ever saw at the Valley, the Keven Keegan factor certainly put a few on the gate, my real memory though was a group of Charlton running across the pitch and around the old Marmon stand to have a go at the Newcastle fans, it really stuck with me as a 16 year old.

The Spurs game was the night before I joined the army so my head was everywhere but I have a vivid memory of Glen Hoddle in front of the Covered End picking up coins that had been thrown at him, winking and shoving them down his socks.

So two big games and its the disorder that stands out more than the football!

Mary Hopkins.
  • Options
    true that, I thought they'd never end..
  • Options
    40 years today since my first trip to The Valley. Yesterday was a nice reminder it can sometimes be enjoyable:-) 
  • Options
    40 years today since my first trip to The Valley. Yesterday was a nice reminder it can sometimes be enjoyable:-) 
    And 40 years to the day I was sat next to Chris Lewis, flying to Trinidad for a cricket tour. A lot has happened to Charlton and Chris Lewis since then......
  • Options
    Remember this game well..the Newcastle away support was tremendous and we were given a lesson. We went in the Floyd road entrance but wanted to stand on the east terrace, my late dad ,against my advice wanted to go via the away end .The coppers wouldn't let him and there was a stand off for about 10 mins with him getting more and more irate .All 5ft 3 of him swearing at the police..my dad finally saw sense and was went via the covered end.I was trying to imagine how I was going to explain to mum that dad was in the police cells. 

Chris waddle in particular had our full backs in his pocket 
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    true that, I thought they'd never end..
    Those were the days.