Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interesting To Read In Curb's Book

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
of his high regard for Lee Bowyer. He describes him as a "proper" footballer.

I wondered, after all the controversy with the drugs thing etc, what he thought of Bowyer.

Comments

• Options
    I'm a little disapointed by the book. Not quite as "revealing" as i thought it might be. Some interesting bits and pieces in there but does seem to repeat himself throughout the book.
  • Options
    That is interesting Len. Maybe the fact that Bowyer ended up at West Ham is down to Curbs leaving and Dowie not really having any reason, like personal history, to prefer to take him on. Of course, it could be money, I don't know ;-)

Bowyer can be a great player to have in the team, but I'm not fussed that he's not at Charlton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]of his high regard for Lee Bowyer. He describes him as a "proper" footballer.

I wondered, after all the controversy with the drugs thing etc, what he thought of Bowyer.

I think we got the view post "drugs things"- it's just Curbs, in his book, chose to ignore the off the field stuff- which it might seem as Bowyer has grown up, he seems to have done as well!

He is a good- almost great midfielder who i'm sure that if he didn't have the baggage, would be high on most clubs shopping list-

I see him being a West Ham favourite very soon- would be good to see what our Hammer "friend" thinks??????????????
  • Options
    i read the first chapter (and the foreward) last night quickly before i went to bed.
    got me quite emotional to be honest the way he came to the decision and how richard dealt with it
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite] got me quite emotional to be honest the way he came to the decision and how richard dealt with it

Do you think it was handled well?

I think it was amazing and cannot think of any other situation like it- Not since the Play-off final have i seen so many blurry eyes at a footbal match.

It is great to get Curbs' veiw point, although sitting in block C of the lower north, durring his farewell speech, it was obvious to see what he really felt!

Great Read!
  • Options
    i'm gutted i moved to the upper north last season for the simple reason my dad sits in the 2nd row by the tunnel where i used to sit with him for 7 years till i moved. i'd have been right there.

there were people around me actually sobbing on that day

i love that line where he says "i'll go out on the pitch and announce it, i'm not having you going without sayign thanks"
  • Options
    I know- you know it's heavy when there are guys in their early 20's are not worrying about their "street cred" and all glased up and red eyed!

"This is Charlton and we do things differently"
  • Options
    That's it ruined the start for me now :-))

i MUST BUY THE BOOK - Through rothko's site of course
  • Options
    Arf,
    got a link to his site pls mate..
  • Options
    http://www.valleyflags.co.uk/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thanks BFR
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimbrannin[/cite]I'm a little disapointed by the book. Not quite as "revealing" as i thought it might be. Some interesting bits and pieces in there but does seem to repeat himself throughout the book.

I haven't finished it yet- I think to be honest that the book was never going to be particularly revealing as the club have always been quite open about what has gone on in the past so there probably isn't that much to reveal.

My personal take is that it is just great to have a book to summarise fifteen years of our club and document some great memories.
  • Options
    I've not finished it yet either although I've read most of it. I think the book reflects the man really in that it is all understated rather than "kiss and tell" so to speak.

I think Curbs has struck a good balance between keeping private what he thinks should be private and retrospectively revealing why he did certain things. His respect for Richard Murray , Gritty, Les Reed, Merv and Keithy P shines throughout the book in my opinion.

I also think he says a lot by what he doesn't say. He speaks affectionately of players from the early days but, apart from Chrissy Powell, the rest barely get a mention. That speaks volumes I think.
  • Options
    I also think he says a lot by what he doesn't say. He speaks affectionately of players from the early days but, apart from Chrissy Powell, the rest barely get a mention. That speaks volumes I think.

He may well end up managing them again, that's why...
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    [quote]Posted By: jimbranninI'm a little disapointed by the book. Not quite as "revealing" as i thought it might be. Some interesting bits and pieces in there but does seem to repeat himself throughout the book.[/quote]

Finished the book yesterday, and I was a bit disappointed also, but as someone said: he still has a career in front of him, so it's just wise not to be to open and maken enemies. This is different from somebody like Bobby Robson for instance, who can be op and honest if he wants to.
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited September 2006
    I also finished yesterday, i thought it ended a bit suddenly. But it is clear who the real legend was behind Charlton going from rags to riches on and off the field of play, and that is Richard Murray. What a thoroughly top bloke he is. And a top fan to boot.

Richard Murrays red and white army
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 04_MCS[/cite]I also finished yesterday, i thought it ended a bit suddenly. But it is clear who the real legend was behind Charlton going from rags to riches on and off the field of play, and that is Richard Murray. What a thoroughly top bloke he is. And a top fan to boot.[/quote]

Must be a delight for Iain Dowie to work with a decent chairman for a change!
  • Options
    Yeah, imagine having to work under that 'orrible greasy little turd that is Jordan.