Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Grammar Vigilante

A real CL hero. Watch the 90 second video.

Own up it must be someone off here.

For years, it has been rumoured that somebody has been going out late at night, correcting bad punctuation on Bristol shop fronts.
The self-proclaimed "grammar vigilante" goes out undercover in the dead of night correcting street signs and shop fronts where the apostrophes are in the wrong place.
Jon Kay meets grammar's answer to Banksy and reveals the extent of his one man mission to improve standards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39459831

Comments

• My hero!
  • He definitely posts on CL. Of that I'm sure.
  • Dont finc it wos me
  • That is a proper superhero.
  • I went to Bristol, ate some shoots, and left.
  • Reminds me of the story of King Canute.
  • Must have a really busy life. Absolute hero.
  • Good for him its great hes obviously a stickler for detail. wonder were he get's the Stickers from?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently he's known as The Apostrophiser.

Good on' im. These people should of learned English at school.
    boggzy said:

Good for him its great hes obviously a stickler for detail. wonder were he get's the Stickers from?!

He makes them himself out of sticky back plastic, so the age group isn't hard to work out here!
    Kap10 said:

Hes nut's

His nut's if you dont mind Kap10.
  • iainment said:

Reminds me of the story of King Canute.

Is he the bloke who sings 'Hold Back The River?'
  • Apparently he's known as The Apostrophiser.

boggzy said:

Good for him its great hes obviously a stickler for detail. wonder were he get's the Stickers from?!

He makes them himself out of sticky back plastic, so the age group isn't hard to work out here!
    Kap10 said:

Hes nut's

According to the lengthy BBC Breakfast item about him yesterday, that's the name he gave the piece of kit he designed to reach high-up signs. One part holds the apostrophe awaiting application, the other has a little roller to make sure the adhesive attaches to the sign. Classic British eccentricity. He was described as "by day, a highly qualified professional". Sounds like a new character for Marvel Comics. Captain Apostrophe, maybe?

What surprised me was that the BBC failed to ask him if he'd ever been pulled by the BiB for wandering around Bristol in the dead of night carrying his weird (unique) contraption.
  • edited April 2017
    cafcfan said:

Apparently he's known as The Apostrophiser.

boggzy said:

Kap10 said:

Hes nut's

According to the lengthy BBC Breakfast item about him yesterday, that's the name he gave the piece of kit he designed to reach high-up signs. One part holds the apostrophe awaiting application, the other has a little roller to make sure the adhesive attaches to the sign. Classic British eccentricity. He was described as "by day, a highly qualified professional". Sounds like a new character for Marvel Comics. Captain Apostrophe, maybe?

What surprised me was that the BBC failed to ask him if he'd ever been pulled by the BiB for wandering around Bristol in the dead of night carrying his weird (unique) contraption.
    Ah right, I misheard that, a damm good name for it tho'.

Perhaps the replacement for Lazy Daisy :-)
  • There are one or two pedantic fools here that do that.
  • There are one or two pedantic fools here who do that.

Are there?
  • There are one or two pedantic fools here that do that.

Only one or two, you surprise me.....
  • My hero.
  • Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome

Grammatical (or grammar) pedantry syndrome is an illness or a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder where someone has a compulsive desire to correct any grammatical errors one has made and is obsessed with taking this peculiar, constant, and vexatious (from the target's perspective) action.
  • bobmunro said:

Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome

Grammatical (or grammar) pedantry syndrome is an illness or a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder where someone has a compulsive desire to correct any grammatical errors one has made and is obsessed with taking this peculiar, constant, and vexatious (from the target's perspective) action.

*starts to shake at the sight of that Oxford comma*