Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oldham v Charlton | Tue 14 Feb | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Oldham Athletic v Charlton Athletic
February 14th 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Mark Brown (East Yorkshire)

Introduction

Friday night saw the premiere of a new film out at cinemas yet it was Karl Robinson who was left Fifty Shades Darker as red faced once more the Addicks Manager saw his side snatch a draw from the jaws of victory, three points should have been taken from South West London as we visited AFC Wimbledon for the first time yet despite an early Ricky Holmes free-kick, the Addicks couldn’t hold on and a late injury time equaliser saw the Dons taking a share of the points.

This Tuesday sees Charlton making the trip to Manchester for an encounter against Oldham Athletic, lets hope that this Valentine’s Day, the Addicks leave their caring nature off the pitch and brutally come back down to London with all three points.

The Opposition
Name: Oldham Athletic | Manager: John Sheridan
Ground: Boundary Park

On the back of two draws, what could be better than to face a side who know exactly what is required to snatch a draw against us this season – On a September night; the Latics came to South East London and despite going behind to a goal from Josh Magennis, our opponents like nearly everyone else this season managed to fight back and in the 85th minute, scored from a free kick to earn a share of the spoils themselves.

That Tuesday evening saw Oldham visiting the Valley sitting second bottom in the table and since that draw, things havent looked much better for a side that was once in the Premier League, winning just five matches this term the Latics have been in the relegation zone since mid-September. John Sheridan though (who left them for Notts County in the summer) has returned and has given his side hope, two wins out of the last three see Oldham still in the relegation yet with just two points separating them from safety… There is still hope.

Charlton Team News
Firstly this Tuesday sees yet another player returning to contention as Lewis Page is now available after serving his two match ban, should he start tomorrow evening there will no doubt be bets on how long he’ll last this time yet still suspended is Nathan Byrne who wont return until our home match against Oxford next Tuesday.

In attack; Josh Magennis made his return from injury on the substitutes bench whilst our attack against AFC Wimbledon was led by Lee Novak who’s Charlton career has very much been stop start, despite a few glaring misses it’ll be interesting to see who leads the line for us as the matches continue to come thick and fast.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Teixeira | Page
Konsa | Crofts
Watt | Aribo | Holmes
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Jackson | Chicksen | Novak | Ahearne-Grant | Mavididi

Prediction
We’ve dropped too many points now its becoming questionable whether we’re trying to get promoted, whether we’re trying to break an overall club record or whether we’re simply trying to beat the amount of draws we achieved under Bob Peeters – Our season is at risk of just petering out if we don’t become more ruthless in front of goal.

Comments

• Options
    We play Rochdale on Saturday and Oxford next Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    a must win game if we want to keep the slim hopes we have of playoffs going.
  • Options
    0-0. For a team at the bottom of the table Oldham don't concede a lot of goals.
  • Options

I'd bring Mavididi in for Aribo so that Watt can play in the hole.

Rudd
    Solly | Bauer | Teixeira | Page
    Konsa | Crofts
    Mavididi | Watt | Holmes
    Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Jackson | Chicksen | Novak | Ahearne-Grant | Aribo
  • Options
    useless Robbo NOT GOOD ENOUGH

we're lose 1-0 this time not even 1-1 pathetic
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

We play Rochdale on Saturday and Oxford next Tuesday.

Cheers was thinking of the Weekend when we play Bury and briefly forgot next Tuesday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Another draw is no-good here. If it's level with 30 mins remaining Robinson should prove he walks the walk and throw everything forward to try and get the three points.

Ever the optimist me, 2-0 to us (Magennis, Holmes) and game on...
  • Options
    I believe KR said JFC will be playing Tuesday, so I expect him to be alongside Croft instead of Konsa, whether Konsa moves into the back line instead of either Bauer or Tex I am not sure. I am never right (except when asked on Saturday when would they equalise and I said 2nd minute of injury time, sorry), so I will go for 2-2, no not 1-1, for a change
  • Options
    Just arrived in the Manchester area after a very pleasant and unusually quiet drive over the Pennines on the M62 .. staying here for this and the Rochdale game

We need six points from these two, alas, given our current form, 2 points is more likely .. Oldham will scrap like mad as they strive to get away from the bottom, recently they have been in decent form

Must be a recall for Magennis and I would keep Chicksen at full back

Heart says a fighting three points, head says YET another draw

Oldham Athletic 1 v CAFC 2 (from the heart)
  • Options
    Both JFC and Page available, so it'll be interesting what team he picks.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Seem to recall we had to play in Oldham's away kit for a midweek match at Boundary Park in the mid-90's, whilst my favourite Oldham memory is of David Whyte coming off the bench to grab a late winner in a 1-0 win at The Valley in '96. More recently, having been to about 16 away matches in our first League 1 season under Parky, I stupidly decided not to bother going to Oldham on the last day of the season and then went into panic mode about 10 minutes into the second half when a freakish selection of scorelines temporarily propelled us into the second promotion slot, and I had to deal with the very real possibility of not being their to witness us sealing promotion. A harrowing "don't know whether to laugh or cry" afternoon, and fortunately I had learned from that mistake by the time we travelled up to Carlisle to seal promotion a couple of years later.

Much like watching Charlton this season, the vast majority of my Charlton vs Oldham memories are of drab 1-1 draws - from our last 15 meetings with the Latics, 10 of them have been draws and 8 of those were 1-1. Our most recent meeting was a particularly dull affair, so much so that I spent the second half reading the match thread for a game I was actually at. Can only see yet more boredom to come, and another opportunity to close in on the top 6 passes us by, yet another 1-1.

If you're travelling up to this then I salute you for either your heroic dedication or the extreme lengths you'll go to in order to coerce your other half into divorcing you.

About to sign my divorce papers so it doesn't matter. This is yet another chapter in my consolidationist upbringing
  • Options
    Tuesday 14th February 2017 fixtures ... once more we have a chance of gaining points on play off rivals .. IF ONLY we can win

Northampton
    19:45
    Swindon

Wimbledon
    Coventry

Bury
    MK Dons

Fleetwood
    Bradford

Gillingham
    Chesterfield

Millwall
    Port Vale

Bristol Rovers
    Sheff Utd

Oldham
    Charlton

Oxford Utd
    Southend

Peterborough
    Shrewsbury

Scunthorpe
    Walsall

Bolton
    20:00
    Rochdale
  • Options
    I love the time of year when games come thick and fast.

I really hope JFC is fit for this one. I think he really helps control the game, and that can make a huge difference when you're protecting a lead and trying to "defend with possession."

It will be interesting to see, if he is fit, who makes way for him. Aribo seems to have been off the last couple weeks, but it doesn't sound as though Crofts has been brilliant either. Crofts is 32 and has played just about every game this season, but Aribo is 20 going through his season with the senior team. Suspect it will be Aribo to make way with JFC playing in the 10 role.

These are the kinds of games, with the likes of Watt, Holmes, Magennis, and hopefully JFC now at or close to fitness where we should just have too much for other sides. It doesn't have to be pretty, we just need 2-3 moments of real quality and we should see off teams like Oldham.
  • Options
    Things are going to click tomorrow; 3-0 Charlton. We are 2-1 at the bookies throw in Plymouth, Mansfield and Luton and there is a tasty bet to be had
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Things are going to click tomorrow; 3-0 Charlton. We are 2-1 at the bookies throw in Plymouth, Mansfield and Luton and there is a tasty bet to be had

Brave bet... You need Luton to catch Carlisle (only three points I know) with Exeter right on their heels

Didnt realise that Mansfield are on such a good run but from experience of the League Two Table, the team in 7th always seems to chop and change quite a bit and usually ends up swapping places with about 10th (i.e. only 5-points separate them from Barnet in 12th)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally think Bauer needs to come out of the team. He has been poor recently. His mistake got Page sent off at Bolton and it looked like his missed header let in Wimbledon for the equaliser.

Regardless, our record against Oldham is pretty crap and I don't think we'll win tomorrow. 1-1.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    With JFC in the side we look far more balanced.

Latics 0 - 3 Addicks
  • Options
    3pm ko @ForeverAddickted ?

Probably be a similar crowd if it was....
    2-1 us.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

3pm ko @ForeverAddickted ?

Probably be a similar crowd if it was....
    2-1 us.

Well done @Valley11... Your the first to notice my "deliberate" error

Good to see people actually read my previews ;)
  • Options
    Fancy us to win this if JFC is back.

128 Charlton
  • Options
    1-1?
  • Options
    Are they showing signs of life? Are we showing signs of life? Am I showing signs of life? Crazy 2-3 away win to please Bruno, I mean Robbo.
  • Options
    Anyone know if tickets will be available on the night? No mention of it on the OS.
  • Options
    Rudd
    Solly Bauer Tex Page
    Konsa Crofts
    Holmes Watt Chicksen
    Magennis

1-1