Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Updated Squad List - 1 September 2016

edited September 2016 in General Charlton
First Team

Goalkeepers

Dimitar Mitov 2017 plus one year option
Declan Rudd 2017 (Season long loan from Norwich)
Dillon Phillips 2018

Right Backs

Kevin Foley 05/01/2017
Chris Solly 2020

Centre Backs

Roger Johnson 2017
Harry Lennon 2018
Patrick Bauer 2019
Ezri Konsa Undisclosed "Long Term" (2019 estimated, signed December 2015)
Jason Pearce 2019
Jorge Teixeira 2020

Naby Sarr 2020 - loaned to Red Star FC 93 (France)

Left Backs

Morgan Fox 2018
Adam Chickson 2017

Central Midfielders

Andrew Crofts 2017
Alou Diarra 2017 - Contract terminated by mutual consent
Johnnie Jackson 2017
Oliver Muldoon 2017
El-Hadji Ba 2018
Ahmed Kashi 2018 (long term injury)
Fredrik Ulvestad (Signed on season long loan from Burnley)

Wide Midfielders

Ricky Holmes 2018
Ademola Lookman 2020
Jordan Botaka - Signed on season long loan from Leeds
Cristian Ceballos 2018 - loaned to STVV (Belgium)

Strikers

Karlan Ahearne-Grant 2019 new contract announced 1/9/16
Brandon Hanlan 2018
Nicky Ajose 2019
Lee Novak 2019
Josh Maginnis 2018

Tony Watt 2018 - loaned to Hearts
Igor Vetokele 2019 - loaned to Zulte Waregem (Belgium)

U23 Development Squad

Goalkeepers

Callum Thomas 2017 (estimated)
Jordan Beeney 2018 (had heard he signed a 2 year scholarship and 2 year pro deal)

Right Backs

Aaron Barnes 2017

Centre Backs

Elan Assiana 2017 (estimated)
Daniel Bowry 2017
Terell Thomas 2017
Kenneth Yao Undisclosed "Long Term" (2019 estimated, signed January 2016)

Left Backs

Archie Edwards 2018

Central Midfielders

Joe Aribo 2017
Chris Millar 2017
Anfernee Dijksteel 2017
Regan Charles-Cook Undisclosed "Long Term" (2019 estimated, signed December 2015)
George Lapslie 2019
Matt Carter 2018

Strikers

Mikhail Kennedy 2018
Josh Umerah 2018
Louis-Michel Yamfam 2018

Comments

• Options
    Midfield looks strong if Kashi and Diarra weren't injured. Plus the fact that Ba has gone AWOL (injured???), and Jackson went off injured in the Bolton game leaves us a little short, although Foley can play there (and Solly?!?!?!?!).

Definitely one short on the wings. We can't expect to see Jackson out there all season, and Botaka has hardly featured this season so far. Perhaps Slade may play one of Fox or Chicksen further forward with the other at left back?

Not sure about up front. The numbers are there, but not sure on the quality. Had KAG kicked on a bit more than he has then I would be happy with him as one of our 4, with Hanlan as back up.
  • Options
    If we'd got James Henry too I'd have been extremely hopeful. Shame he went to Bolton. Otherwise yes, it's a strong squad and Slade has done a good job.

He & the board have brought in some good players and also kept players we could have lost too (Lookman, Solly) so there is some credit for both this Summer.

Let's hope Teixeira comes back fit and starts playing along with Bauer, Pearce, Lennon and Konsa and with 5 decent centre halves, two of which can cover full-back positions so will add to their game time there - we can agree the mutual termination of RoJo's contract so he can P*** off back to India or wherever he can get paid shedloads for doing as little as possible.
  • Options
    In terms of numbers I think we're quite strong now but I'd have been happier if Johnson or Tex going had meant we could bring in another winger. The balance isn't ideal but we should have enough quality to be up there.

Just how well we do depends on injuries and whether players like Ulvested and Botaka step up and make a real difference.
  • Options
    Splodge said:

If we'd got James Henry too I'd have been extremely hopeful. Shame he went to Bolton. Otherwise yes, it's a strong squad and Slade has done a good job.

He & the board have brought in some good players and also kept players we could have lost too (Lookman, Solly) so there is some credit for both this Summer.

Let's hope Teixeira comes back fit and starts playing along with Bauer, Pearce, Lennon and Konsa and with 5 decent centre halves, two of which can cover full-back positions so will add to their game time there - we can agree the mutual termination of RoJo's contract so he can P*** off back to India or wherever he can get paid shedloads for doing as little as possible.

Agree about James Henry, would have been the icing on the cake.

But I guess every team has fans saying "we only need one or two more players to be really good" and we're no different.
  • Options
    Lineups (hypothetical, just to represent depth):

----------Rudd----------
    Solly--Bauer----Pearce--Fox
    Holmes-Kashi-Diarra-Lookman
    ------Ajose---Magennis-----

and then

----------Phillips----------
    Foley--Konsa---Tex--Chicksen
    Botaka-Ulvestad-Crofts-Jackson
    ------Novak---Hanlan-------

With Mitov, Lennon, Johnson (sorry), Ba (sorry), Umerah, Muldoon, KAG, Terrell Thomas, Archie Edwards, maybe Charles-Cook/Kennedy should things get particularly tight re injury.

That top lineup should theoretically compete well in the division above. The second one is thinner, but definitely has a few useful backup players.

Of course, we're looking at injuries to Kashi and Diarra, so yes we seem like we're lacking in depth - and with Foley as CM and RB cover at the moment, this is exacerbated.

But at the moment, bar an extra RB for comfort's sake, can't particularly fault the makeup of the squad, even if it is evidently filled with some players that as CAFC fans we'd consider distinctly ordinary.

We're in League One, which is not fine, but this squad - for League One - certainly is likely to be very close to enough.
  • Options
    So now we're in a position where we're short in central midfield and the wings, but have too many centre halves. Classic us.

Slade really does have a conundrum now though. Konsa should be given the benefit of not having to play every week, but he's done well when he's appeared so he should still get minutes. On top of that we've now got Bauer, Texeira and Pearce all vying for the same position. On the one hand it's great - you always need a squad and they must be three of the best centre halves in the league, but Pearce was signed to play and Roland doesn't like paying for players who aren't in the 11, so I feel like Tex will still be banished, or at the very least earmarked to move on in January, making Slade reluctant to play him. Still, a back four of Solly, Bauer, Pearce/Tex, Fox is as good as it gets at this level. Add in the returns of Diarra and Kashi (if they ever happen) and we can afford to play two out and out wingers with the cover the central two will provide. Could be an exciting line up. Plus we never have to see Roger again!
  • Options
    You can guarantee that if you post an updated squad list then a player will move the same day and so it proves.

Bye Alou
  • Options

Splodge said:

Agree about James Henry, would have been the icing on the cake.

But I guess every team has fans saying "we only need one or two more players to be really good" and we're no different.
    Disappointed not to get Henry, but more that he went to a promotion rival.

If he had gone to another Championship club (say Rotherham or Burton) I wouldn't have been that bothered!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

You can guarantee that if you post an updated squad list then a player will move the same day and so it proves.

Bye Alou

No f~~king consideration of the pressure you are under Henry.
    Too fecking true.

I blame @Ollywozere
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Our team should be easily good enough to be top 4, the squad depth in certain areas still looks weak though and could be a major problem however. I would love to see us play this:

Rudd

Solly Pearce Tex/Bauer Fox

----Ulvestad/Crofts/Jacko (2 of)------

Holmes---------------Lookman

-------Magennis Ajose-------

Give Holmes and Lookman the chance to push on much higher up the pitch. Can't think many League 1 teams will have a better attacking threat than Holmes, Lookman, Magennis, Ajose. Novak and Hanlan waiting in the wings up front but we're probably still one short of a wide player. Central midfield is still a problem but Ulvestad may give us that different dimension and Kashi will provide class if he ever returns. Spoilt for choice in defence. Much happier than I thought I would be at the end of last season, after the Cheltenham game and on Wednesday morning.
  • Options
    good squad ..
  • Options
    I think it's likely that one of our centre halves will be playing the defensive mid position at some stage, much like Diarra had to. Possibly Tex is the most likely.
  • Options
    Strong squad for league one. Has Slade the nous to get it all working ? We will still shit ourselves at The Toolbox.
  • Options

Strong squad for league one. Has Slade the nous to get it all working ? We will still shit ourselves at The Toolbox.

Fuck the toolbox, we must win there sooner or later
  • Options
    Deja vu, apart from centre backs no decent cover when the inevitable injuries arrive. Am I the only one who's not happy with our paper thin squad?
  • Options
    Still can't believe how long a contract Texieria has got. He might be the new Winston Bogarde and not play for 4 years.
  • Options

My personal view is that is a strong League 1 squad.

We have cover at goalkeeper and in defence. The failure to move the expensive but very good Teixeira on and the emergence of Konsa gives us 6 centre halves which is probably 1 too many but other than keeping them all happy that isn't a bad thing. Tex is class above in this league as is Bauer. Pearce is proven, Lennon did well with Gills and is left footed. Roger Johnson knows what to do if he doesn't like it.

We have four experienced full backs as well.

In midfield Slade wanted more bodies this week but got only Ulvestad. He's as yet untested in English football but no shame in not having forced his way into a promotion winning Burnley side.

Given that I'd expect Crofts, Ulvestad and Holmes to all start when fit that only leaves one other midfield place. Lookman if Slade chooses to use him as a winger or Jackson if the gaffer wants a more defensive midfield. Or even leave Foley there. Botaka is a wild card as could be Ba, a player whose contract would have been terminated if they could have.

If and when Kashi and Diarra return that is a strong, if more defensively minded, midfield.

Muldoon and Charles-Cook will do well to break into that side but are there as cover if needed.

Up front Ajose, Maginnis and Novak is a strong trio. Even stronger if Lookman is seen as a forward to fight it out with Ajose for a starting place. KAG, Hanlan and Umerah give more options.

Weaknesses? There is a lot of the shoulders of Ulvestad and Holmes to push the team forward and not many alternatives until Botaka proves himself. While Novak is injured we lack a bit of guile and hold up play up front

Said a few weeks back that this would be a top six squad and still think the same if we can keep Holmes and Novak fit and if Ulvestad does the business.

Well done Russell.

Agree. Diarra won't be back now but I guess a replacement of sorts might come in on loan. The other way of looking at his departure is to consider that if things really did depend on a 35 year old midfielder getting fit then we most likely wouldn't feature in any promotion push. As it happens I don't think it does and consider we have a decent enough chance of a top 6 finish.

Like the flags Henry. Let me know when Roland starts executing CARD members with an anti-aircraft gun!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Still can't believe how long a contract Texieria has got. He might be the new Winston Bogarde and not play for 4 years.

Let's hope he still wants to play football.

Most footballers do.

• Options

I think it's likely that one of our centre halves will be playing the defensive mid position at some stage, much like Diarra had to. Possibly Tex is the most likely.

I agree that one of our centre halves may have to play defensive mid but Diarra was a centre mid forced to play centre half in my mind.

Any way, not enough options yet in midfield for me.

Still early days for Slade in the transfer market with us and hopefully he and his team will find maybe one or two more free aganeta and then have a good run at the Jamuary window lining up players in and out as appropriate.

I'd hoped for a bit more, remain upset about Diarra leaving.

• Options
    What I think is critical for the health of the squad is that we are in contention near the top of the table by the beginning of January. If that can be achieved, we'll have a better chance of holding onto our best players and plugging one or two gaps (notably, in central midfield); if we are languishing in mid-table, Duchatelet is likely to revert to type and sell our best players, leaving us marooned at this level.

It's noteworthy that only two of our senior central midfielders are contracted beyond next summer, namely, Ba and Kashi. Russell Slade and his management team will be acutely aware of that and hopefully it will be addressed when the opportunity arises to get a player or two in. Longer term, I think the club have high hopes for Regan Charles-Cook and Lapsie and hopefully they'll continue to push on this season.
  • Options
    I agree.

I don't think Slade had enough time to target the players he wanted this window and has made do with what he could get.

Hopefully, Foley will do well and earn a longer deal, but it doesn't look that likely based on current viewings, and if Slade and team get some decent backing for reinforcements in January, that may be enough.

We will be in a better position to see how competitive we are in a month or so.
  • Options
    Good enough on paper, but have a feeling we will need a bit of luck with injuries eg. Holmes not to get injured, still not alot of pace in the middle either but it should do top 6 , top 2 at a push
  • Options

I agree.

I don't think Slade had enough time to target the players he wanted this window and has made do with what he could get.

Hopefully, Foley will do well and earn a longer deal, but it doesn't look that likely based on current viewings, and if Slade and team get some decent backing for reinforcements in January, that may be enough.

We will be in a better position to see how competitive we are in a month or so.

Remember Slade has always said he's building a 'group' rather than just a 1st team.
    It sounds as if senior players like Foley and Crofts are likely to be valuable to the group, on and off the pitch, this season.

That may be enough to earn Foley a contact extension in January.