Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2016 - where are all the flags?

Before the last few euros and world cups there have been flags hanging off cars, roofs, aerials, garden flagpoles and out of Windows etc. Also loads of visible support symbols in pub and shop windows etc. Just struck me walking to the station this morning that there's hardly a thing to be seen this year. What's that all about?

Comments

• Options
    People underwhelmed and not as bothered following many years of underachievement?
  • Options
    Got mine up . A St Georges flag covering the whole of my garage door.
  • Options
    I reckon once it starts people will put them out. Though if I stuck a union jack on my car I'll probably be accused of being a swivel eyed brexiter. Which isn't true (well, the Brexit bit)

Thinking about it, were there many flags at the world cup? I think the English public had got over their team finally after the precious disappointments
  • Options
    Currently in Germany at the moment, even seen people on bikes with little flags. Probably nice to have a team the always performs well at major championships ;).
  • Options
    A win against Russia and it'll happen. The shit weather hasn't helped.
  • Options
    Got mine...

• Options
    When our kids were young we used to love putting flags on the car. Now it all seems a bit passé. I wonder if others just feel the same (though there should be a new generation of people with young kids now). I think the main reason though is what Sparrows Lane Lion said. I used to look forward to every England match and watch each one without fail. I only saw 45 minutes out of the last two friendlies and then only because I stumbled across the Portugal match - I wasn't even aware that they were on.
  • Options
    Mr Tatters wants to put his Polish flag up (as it were). Not a good idea as we are surrounded by Nigel Farage supporting neighbours.
  • Options
    Decided not to fly mine as its a symbol of racism and I don't want to upset anyone

JOKING
  • Options
    I did wonder whether the whole Brexit thing was a factor. People not wanting to put flags out for the footy in case their voting intentions were revealed/misunderstood. I'd put one out myself but being Scottish..........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mr Tatters wants to put his Polish flag up (as it were). Not a good idea as we are surrounded by Nigel Farage supporting neighbours.

I wouldn't worry about the flag, it's the flag pole I'd be worried about.
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about the flag, it's the flag pole I'd be worried about.
    Bends in the wind
  • Options
    I think the issue for lack of flags is no English left in England. Lol
  • Options
    I'm sure the great unwashed of Bexleyheath will have their St. George's flags draping from their slums by Saturday evening!
  • Options
    You don't put flags on a BMW.....
  • Options
    United States of Europe innit.
  • Options
    Emily Thornberry and her Islington pals have banned them
  • Options
    Riviera said:

You don't put flags on a BMW.....

German flag?

• Options

Just remind them why Britain joined WWII - that'll freak them out...
  • Options
    Anything that shows some sort of patriotism towards your country will result in left wingers telling the nation that we are all racist.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's the immigrants and their damn mind control powers.
  • Options
    England v Germany from Euro 96 on BBC One Red Button now
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I reckon once it starts people will put them out. Though if I stuck a union jack on my car I'll probably be accused of being a swivel eyed brexiter. Which isn't true (well, the Brexit bit)

Thinking about it, were there many flags at the world cup? I think the English public had got over their team finally after the precious disappointments

Why would you fly a Union Jack ? Hedging your bets ?
  • Options
    Two Union flags flying down here, one of those is upside feckin down.........*shakes head*
  • Options
    "where are all the flags?"

On Colin's comments here, usually
  • Options

Before the last few euros and world cups there have been flags hanging off cars, roofs, aerials, garden flagpoles and out of Windows etc. Also loads of visible support symbols in pub and shop windows etc. Just struck me walking to the station this morning that there's hardly a thing to be seen this year. What's that all about?

People have maybe finally started to realise how stupid it looked!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Memo from RD to Latrien... (my Flemish translation skills are minimal but i think this is accurate).

Dear Underling,

The up and coming European Championships are an ideal opportunity to test out our subjects. Please count the number of these you see in the local area. Resistance is of course futile but I like to keep my heel on their necks!!

Now, get on with it bitch!

Roland the Great
    Omnipotent Magnificence
  • Options
    Seen a couple of UJ's hanging from cars.
  • Options

How can it look silly backing your country?
  • Options

How can it look silly backing your country?
    When they go out after two games.