Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson - 3 short of 50 goals (a rare achievement for us in recent years)

Jackson is now 3 short of 50 goals, a brilliant total for a midfielder. What's shocking is how few Charlton players have reached that total in recent years, the last player being Carl Leaburn, and before him Robert Lee!

It's strange how few players have reached that total in recent years, many candidates have had to retire early (Mendonca, Hunt), moved on (D Bent, Yann) or were moved out (BWP, and the late David Whyte). Others (Johansson, Euell) started well then found the goals drying up, while even long serving players like Robinson, Nelson, C Walsh, Newton failed to reach 50.

Comments

• Options
    don't get me started..........
  • Options
    A hat trick tonight will do nicely!
  • Options
    Wonder where he is in the all time standings?
  • Options
    Not bad for an old player who's legs have gone, so I hear
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Wonder where he is in the all time standings?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._players

28th I think (the numbers aren't up to date for current players)
  • Options
    Charlton legend.
  • Options
    wow that is pretty amazing how few manage it these days. Probably half of his goals have been massively important ones too!
  • Options
    where would we be without him ?
  • Options

I dread to think!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A couple tonight and then save the 50th one for the 22nd November....
  • Options

Like him or not jacko is a modern legend who'll be remembered fondly in the years to come. Hope he gets to 50 in the next few months to cement that place forever.

I don't know anyone that doesn't like Johnnie Jackson.
  • Options
    Am sorry but Jackson's legs are gone... He's only starting because he's the Captain and people like Jack Munns should be way ahead of him in the pecking order.

I take all the credit for Jackson scoring a hat trick tonight now.. ;)
  • Options

Like him or not jacko is a modern legend who'll be remembered fondly in the years to come. Hope he gets to 50 in the next few months to cement that place forever.

Sheffield fans?

• Options
    ross1 said:

Not bad for an old player who's legs have gone, so I hear

After every match. Thanks Colin.
  • Options
    I've certainly been very vocal in calling into question his contribution over the last few seasons. But he'll deserve every bit of respect and adoration when he gets 50. I hope that he does it, he deserves it
  • Options
    He needs to score all three tonight...
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

Easily our best skipper since Kinsella

Andy Reid I thought was a great captain for us but obviously wasn't around long enough.
  • Options

Jackson is now 3 short of 50 goals, a brilliant total for a midfielder. What's shocking is how few Charlton players have reached that total in recent years, the last player being Carl Leaburn, and before him Robert Lee!

It's strange how few players have reached that total in recent years, many candidates have had to retire early (Mendonca, Hunt), moved on (D Bent, Yann) or were moved out (BWP, and the late David Whyte). Others (Johansson, Euell) started well then found the goals drying up, while even long serving players like Robinson, Nelson, C Walsh, Newton failed to reach 50.

At the risk of being branded a pedant I thought he was 4 goals short.

Completely agree with the sentiments of the thread though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

At the risk of being branded a pedant I thought he was 4 goals short.

Completely agree with the sentiments of the thread though.
    Think we can take It as pretty much given that JJ will continue pop up with important goals (or unimportant goals if such a thing exists) for the rest of this season and the next couple of years! Even if as some have suggested his role in the team will become less central!
  • Options

I think it's safe to say we would be in league 1 without him playing a captains role last March assisting Riga get the best out of the squad. That squad has been called all kinds of things on here from sub-standard to grossly inadequate to league one. But in the end those players who won the league 1 title plus a few additions and academy players led by Jackson showed that they were indeed good enough.
    In all the blame and vilification people sometimes forget that it took leadership to get us out of the shit last season.
    Nonetheless interesting to have it pointed out how few recent players have made itvto 50 goals. Let's hope Vetokele gets there.