Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players Released Announced (list of ten)

Comments

• Options
    Hope you are over the worst of your injury and that you find a good club soon Leon - thanks for the great memories you and the departing lads have given us!
  • Options
    Leon Cort, class player and class guy, I was very pleased when he joined us as he clearly was too good for L1!
  • Options
    Not sure if you're still reading Leon, but here is a great clip of that goal against Birmingham. The 'scenes' in the away stand are captured well!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=n-_aUYurjGM
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Not sure if you're still reading Leon, but here is a great clip of that goal against Birmingham. The 'scenes' in the away stand are captured well!

Love that video.

Pisses me right off when you see away fans celebrating wildly in the Jimmy Seed just after the opposition score in front of them but to see it happen for us is euphoric.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Good luck Leon,

I was also lucky enough to meet you at Bromley Addicks. You were a credit to the Club, your profession and yourself.

Some people laughed at me last week when I said on here that referring to departing players as "deadwood" was disrespectful. This is why I think it is.

Well said Henry. I don't know how many players post on here or just come on and browse from time to time, but every single one of them deserves our respect and appreciation. With very, very few exceptions over the years, all of them have given their all for the shirt and us, the fans.
  • Options
    Er @corster what do you have to say about being unable to attend the Sponsors Dinner?? :-)

Actually i meant to say I liked the fact that Leon signed off his shirt with a "thanks very much". Grateful to be sponsored. I liked that.

Good luck to him and all the released players.

• Options
    cafctom said:

That makes the hairs stand up on my neck. Great day, just gutted that lanky git equalised so late on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The above comments about the released players demonstrate how much more than merely "squad members" they are to us.

We look at them as part of our team but also as individuals in their own right.

In most instances, we have seen enough of their play to form an opinion & in most cases, a bond, however tenuous it may be.

With opportunities to meet with & speak to our players, courtesy of Supporter Group meetings, POTY dinners etc, and with the blessing of our Club, we feel closer to them - they are not just lads wearing the shirt on the pitch. And contrary to the likes of Rooney & Suarez, they are OUR lads ...not shared with armchair fans worldwide.

So, we feel sad when they leave us for pastures new - some will have made that "bond" stronger than others - but we invariably thank them for their time at our Club & wish them all the best for their future. This, I do without reservation tonight for those released today.

I make these comments in response to some I've read over the past few days that have made light, or fun even, of the emotion that's displayed when managers/players move on. We may use that well worn phrase "The Charlton family" with ease but for me, this encompasses not only the friends we make, the camaraderie ( or not!) on sites like CL etc but also those who have worn the red shirt, whether it be for one appearance or over a number of seasons.

On a personal level, I find it hard to support my Club without a high degree of emotion - possibly that's a female trait but there it is. The departures of SCP and then Jose have been hard to take & there is no option but to move on ....some are able to do this quickly, others take longer. Then, as is the nature of the beast, we lose 11 good men ( inc Ben H) with the prospect of possibly 3 more stalwarts adding to this number, to other Clubs ....and, whilst wishing them well, we move on again whilst keeping a keen eye on their progression elsewhere & lamenting the loss of our favourites.

What I'm trying to say ( I think!) is that I fervently hope this "emotion" we feel at losing part of our "family" continues with RD at the helm ; that our team will not be stocked with players from the network who may come & go at our owner's behest & who we may well find difficult to accept/who fail to secure that emotional bond that makes Charlton such a special Club.

And hence, in a few seasons' time, we may be saying our goodbyes to more players that have served us well & found their places in our Charlton hearts....if you know what I mean !

Excellent piece as usual Fanny. That emotional bond should never be underestimated.

• Options

Good luck Leon,

I was also lucky enough to meet you at Bromley Addicks. You were a credit to the Club, your profession and yourself.

Some people laughed at me last week when I said on here that referring to departing players as "deadwood" was disrespectful. This is why I think it is.

my god is there anything you cant turn into a sanctimonious dig?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Good luck Leon,

my god is there anything you cant turn into a sanctimonious dig?
    Someone's tired

Just checked and, of course, you were one of those people who LOLed. Oh dear, I seem to have touched a sore point : - )
  • Options
    The 2 I'm most sorry to see go are Pritchard & Cort. Despite limited ability, Pritch is one of those rare players who would give 100% every game. Sure, it wouldn't always come off for him, but couldn't ever knock his effort.

Cort is a very decent CB, think he could've done a job for another season. Just a pity he's spent the majority of this campaign in the treatment room, as I think he would have nailed a starting 11 shirt for us. Also had the pleasure of his company, sitting next to me at the POTY awards last year. Such a gent.

Wish them all the best..............
  • Options
    Good man Leon, I was on your table at the end-of-season dinner last year and you were great company ... all the best for the future.
  • Options
    Corster said:

Just like to say that I thank you all for the support you've given me in the couple years I've had there. I've enjoyed it all....especially the first league goal against Birmingham. Some like me and some don't, which is completely fine as you can't be everyone's cup of tea. But I always gave my all and you guys gave it back to me and I felt real love from you guys all the time. All the best for the future and hope the club gets stability soon! You deserve it. I hope to get a club as I feel good again. But you guys have been FANTASTIC! Good times and bad you've stuck with me and the boys!

Be good!
    Corty.

What a man. Always did well for us and I think we looked a better team defensively with you in it. Good luck with your next move and thank you for your efforts with Charlton.
  • Options
    I can't remember Cort getting much (if any?) stick on here which is fairly rare. Very reliable no nonsense beast of a centre back. Thanks for all your efforts for us and hope you have better luck with injuries at your new club.
  • Options
    yeah you're right man how silly! keep up the tedious act though please!!
  • Options
    Just going through the list there is not one player who you would be unhappy hsving st the valley from a personality perspective. A team of thoroughly good blokes over the last few sessons.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Good luck corty. Top pro and always liked seeing your name on the team sheet.

And that moment up in Birmingham was pure class. Lost my voice in them few minutes when the ball hit the net.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for taking the trouble to post on here Corty. You're a top bloke and I wish you all the best with the club who will be lucky enough to sign you. Thanks for everything.
  • Options

Also had the pleasure of his company, sitting next to me at the POTY awards last year. Such a gent.

@Corster sorry for that mate ;-)

• Options
    BBC saying Danny signed on for two years at the franchise. Good luck to him if that's the case. I hope it works out for him.
  • Options

BBC saying Danny signed on for two years at the franchise. Good luck to him if that's the case. I hope it works out for him.

MKD seem to be perpetual promotion candidates every season, but never quite do enough!
  • Options
    Danny boy gone to MKD,good luck
  • Options
    Good luck to Danny G. Always liked him and sorry it didn't work out.
  • Options
    Leon. Top man for posting on here.

Great defender, that you are. I know if I was confronted by a colossus like you on the field I would turn and run. I reckon a lot of forwards have felt like doing that over the years. :-)

Thanks for everything and good luck.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    All the way over here in Western Canada, pride of place on my 6yo sons bedroom wall are pictures of Leon Cort and Yann Kermorgant. The two players that he idolizes - neither are coming down!!!

Not sure at the moment where his next Chatlon hero is going to come from (although Belgium is probably a good guess!!)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Corster said:

Just like to say that I thank you all for the support you've given me in the couple years I've had there. I've enjoyed it all....especially the first league goal against Birmingham. Some like me and some don't, which is completely fine as you can't be everyone's cup of tea. But I always gave my all and you guys gave it back to me and I felt real love from you guys all the time. All the best for the future and hope the club gets stability soon! You deserve it. I hope to get a club as I feel good again. But you guys have been FANTASTIC! Good times and bad you've stuck with me and the boys!

Be good!
    Corty.

That's really lovely, Corty. I sit in the North End and used to enjoy watching you defend from close quarters: I admired your defensive headers that almost invariably found our midfielders, or dropped in a safe area outside our box. You used to patrol the defence, prowling at the back, watching carefully for danger. And I vividly recall a last-ditch block you made on the six-yard line, sprinting like lightning to rob the attacker.

I feel sure I speak for all our supporters when I say you will always be thought of with much admiration and affection. Very best wishes for the future.

• Options
    Corster said:

Be good!
    Corty.

Leon, really disappointed to see you go and sincere best wishes for the future.
    I had you down as a key player for next season now you are back to some decent fitness.
    Always felt confident when you were challenging for a ball in the air and decent ball control for a CD.
    Hope CAFC know what they're doing!