Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Had we won the Swindon Play Off Match.

edited May 2012 in General Charlton
And then gone on to beat Millwall in the final, how well do you think we would be doing?
Of course it's a big if, but would Parkie still be our manager, could we have made the premiership jump?
It would have been amazing to have beaten our filty neighbours at Wembley, but ultimately I think we're in a better place now.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Agree that we are in a better place now as we have new owners, hopefully financial security, a manager who has the fans total support and a better more balanced playing squad.

If we had gone up two years ago, we may have come straight back down (certainly think we would have struggled) and with our financial issues back then, who knows.
  • Options
    We wouldve lost the playoff final to Millwall
  • Options
    Would you have swapped this season to beat Millwall in the playoff's ?
  • Options
    With that team we would be back in league one before you know it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Would we have been taken over by T&S and The Mysterons, or would RM etc have soldiered on? It is impossible to know for sure.

I think that sometimes you need to hit rock bottom and have a clear out. That's what has happened. The stench of decay and defeat has been banished and I for one think we are stronger and more together for it.
  • Options
    I know that with a hypothetical question like Poplcon has posed we are supposed to use our imaginations, but even if I try really really hard I STILL can't imagine how that side would have beaten Millwall in the play-offs!
  • Options
    We would've been teatering on going out of the football league

We would've got relegated as soon as we went up

And parky would've steered us to league 2 and still been in charge because he is such a nice guy

8+)
  • Options
    Best thing that ever happened to us was Bails smashing into the sky...
  • Options
    We would have become marketable and after a dicky start Murray would have secured shortn term finance plus the increase in football league finance, in November hovering above the relgation zone a a UK based consortium agree a deal with Murray and takeover the club and its debts for a nominal fee. Parkinson is relieved of his position and hos three year contract signed in the summer as a reward for promotion is paid off in cash.

Former charlton legends Clive Mendonca and Steve Jones takeover and are given a wad in january, enabling the team to be re fashioned and by season end it finishes a comfortable 10th. The following year with a few additions the club storms through to the Premiership. The fans are ecstatic and praise the new owners and their commitment to the club.

In August it is announced that the club has been sold to a far east consortium some of whom formerley had interests in the now defunct Portsmouth Football club.
  • Options
    No. It would have been something special. But short term happiness doesn't compare to long term stability. We'll beat both of the other lot next season and finish higher. Not as sweet as a Wembley victory but good enough!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beating Millwall at Wembley would have made for a fantastic and special day, but losing to Swindon will hopefully make for a fantastic and special few years!
  • Options
    very tough call !!!, beating them at Wembley would be great but in hindsight not sure I'd swap it for this season

• Options
    Had we been promoted that season we'd probably be playing league 2 football next season. We would never have survived in the Championship with our resources, playing squad or management team.
  • Options
    I did actually like the team that we had then. Was a big fan of Bailey, Elliot, Sam Sodje, Kyel Reid, Shelvey...

But that team didn't really have enough bottle in it to go up against a club like Millwall at Wembley. They would have absolutely crumbled under the atmosphere from their fans, as they did at The Den.
  • Options
    At the time I was gutted that we lost to Swindon but on reflection it was probably the best thing we now have a manager who loves the club and has instilled in the squad that same pride that was just missing before. So we had to put up with another two seasons in this crappy league but in the long term it is probably for the best. COYR
  • Options
    This is a bit like those pointless discussions about music - what would have happened if Buddy Holly hadn't died in that plane crash? What if Hendrix had lived? Who knows???
  • Options
    This is a bit like those pointless discussions about music - what would have happened if Buddy Holly hadn't died in that plane crash? What if Hendrix had lived? Who knows???
    American Pie wouldn't have been written?

• Options
    American Pie wouldn't have been written?

Good point! ;-)
  • Options
    If we'd won the Swindon play-off match we'd now be in a parallel world that does actually exist in another dimension if you believe in Hugh Everett Third's theory.

The only way to know what this world is like would be to go there which might be possible but is not yet so.

It could be a world totally unrecogisable from our own as the consequences of the different result is extremely unpredictable. A Swindon fan for example may have decided not to go to the pub (as he did in our reality to celebrate). He may have then crashed on the way home. This accident could have killed someone (a child for example who would have gone on to be Prime Minister). As Prime Minister he could have started a war. These consequences may not yet be evident but would be in another 40 years.

Remember that according to the late great Hugh Everett Third both (and an infinite number of other) worlds do actually exist simultaneously, but we are only aware of that in which we live.
  • Options
    Sorry, should have added this. The theory is generally unknown by the general public but in the scientific world is considered as important as Einstein's theory of relativity. Watch this:

watchdocumentary.com/watch/parallel-worlds-parallel-lives-video_eac643919.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And if Hugh everetts theory ever became mainstream, would I now be listening to The Eels album Electroshock Blues (it's been one of those days), beatig in mind his son is the lead singer? He did a good documentary about his dad actually.
  • Options
    And if Hugh everetts theory ever became mainstream, would I now be listening to The Eels album Electroshock Blues (it's been one of those days), beatig in mind his son is the lead singer? He did a good documentary about his dad actually.
    There's a parallel world somewhere in which eels actually get the acclaim they (he) deserve(s).

E has, in my opinion, made as fine a contribution to music as he Dad did for science. Somewhat sweetly, this won't be recognised (in this world) for yet another generation.
  • Options
    ..................and actually, I think in most parallel worlds, Millwall beat us.
  • Options
    we have just got promoted we are likely to break through 100 points barrier today and you are thinking about Millwall. Take it from me when the fixture list comes out for next season Millwall fans will not be looking to see when they play us first. If West Ham have not been promoted they will be first then the Nigels then at some point us.

It may be hard to accept but true Millwall fans that I know do not get exicted about playing us

• Options
    we have just got promoted we are likely to break through 100 points barrier today and you are thinking about Millwall. Take it from me when the fixture list comes out for next season Millwall fans will not be looking to see when they play us first. If West Ham have not been promoted they will be first then the Nigels then at some point us.

It may be hard to accept but true Millwall fans that I know do not get exicted about playing us

Back again ...and as usual your comments are about the spanners lol
  • Options
    All these comments are totally hypothetical, on the other hand if Parkinson had been sacked in November last season rather than January those extra points he secured saved us from relega
  • Options
    If we'd won the Swindon play-off match we'd now be in a parallel world that does actually exist in another dimension if you believe in Hugh Everett Third's theory.

And there was me thinking parallel universes only existed in Red Dwarf (Ace Rimmer etc)

It's possible we would have survived in the Championship IF we had beaten Millwall in the final, which would have been a tough task, and losing to them would have been really painful. After all, they and Leeds stayed up while Norwich went up again the next season. The worrying decision around that time was selling Shelvey before the playoffs, that did make it look like we were financially desperate.