Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Birmingham | Sat 14 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    A lacklustre 1-1 coming off the back of the International break. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    I'd have thought we have Matthews on the bench as full-back cover (given Solly is probably the most injury-prone of the back line), unless Oshilaja is back.

COYR!
    Bowyer said today that Matthews isn't ready as he "still needs to get minutes in him". Also that Oshilaja only went back to training on Tuesday and might be a little soon for him.

To me, that suggests that George Lapslie is a shoe in on the bench? Without disturbing the rest of the back 4, he's the obvious choice to cover for Solly, I should think.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    3-1 if Lyle plays. 2-1 if he doesn’t.

Half expecting Birmingham to set up to contain us and try to nick a goal or two on the break so would be looking to recreate the magic of that first half vs Forest. Kayal and Hemed in for Field and Taylor.

—————Phillips
    Solly Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    —————-Kayal
    ———Gallagher Cullen
    —————Oztumer
    ————Hemed Leko

Subs: Amos, Lapslie, Pearce, Pratley, Williams, Aneke, Taylor
  • Options

—————Phillips
    —————-Kayal
    ———Gallagher Cullen
    —————Oztumer
    ————Hemed Leko

Like your team, Callum.
  • Options

Half expecting Birmingham to set up to contain us and try to nick a goal or two on the break so would be looking to recreate the magic of that first half vs Forest.

—————Phillips
    —————-Kayal
    ———Gallagher Cullen
    —————Oztumer
    ————Hemed Leko
    You're the first poster, I believe Callum - to suggest Sarr instead of Pearce.

I can't really see that the warrior Pearce, skipper and defence organiser, would be benched - unless there's a change of gameplan, and Sarr is picked for his passing game?

Mind you, as we saw with the Forest match, it's exactly the sort of thing Bows would do to counter opponents, if he wanted to mess with Brum's preparations!

• Options
    Another win 2-0, Hemed and Gallagher. COYR!!
  • Options
    Sarr to play to counteract the tall Polish guy up front maybe?
  • Options
    Undefeated would be good - although winning at home is always a priority.
  • Options
    I love Naby but Lukas Jutkiewicz would terrorise him for the entire game 
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Having signed with a lack of fitness, the Israeli midfielder appeared in both games for his Nation in the last week as they look to secure qualification to their first Major Tournament since the World Cup in 1970.

Thanks for the reminder...
    I was 10 years old on a school camp.
    It was 3am Israel time when Shpigler scored that memorable equalizer against Sweden in Mexico. Our one and only world cup goal.

So !!!

3:1 Reds Kayal, Hemed 2

Yalla you Reds !!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Me thinking 3-1 after going behind, we wake up with a goal by Williams, pen by Hemed then a sub will score in the last 5...👍
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Half expecting Birmingham to set up to contain us and try to nick a goal or two on the break so would be looking to recreate the magic of that first half vs Forest.

—————Phillips
    —————-Kayal
    ———Gallagher Cullen
    —————Oztumer
    ————Hemed Leko

I can't really see that the warrior Pearce, skipper and defence organiser, would be benched - unless there's a change of gameplan, and Sarr is picked for his passing game?

Mind you, as we saw with the Forest match, it's exactly the sort of thing Bows would do to counter opponents, if he wanted to mess with Brum's preparations!

I love Pearce. I’m just guessing that Sarr will suit the way Bowyer will want to play this game.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I dont think Taylor will play & I think not having the players all together this week will upset the rhythm we've built up.

1-1 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

—————Phillips
    —————-Kayal
    ———Gallagher Cullen
    —————Oztumer
    ————Hemed Leko

I love Pearce. I’m just guessing that Sarr will suit the way Bowyer will want to play this game.
    We’re going to have more of the ball for this type of game and going to need to be patient so completely agree about Sarr and Oztumer.

Naby’s use of the ball in defence is so impressive and adds a completely new and expansive dimension to our play. Erhun’s ability to pick a pass and get in the pockets of space can really hurt Birmingham if we play it quickly and we play it right. I also like your team but do feel there will be at least one change to the team you have picked, and 2 changes to the squad.

I also am not convinced that Williams will be on the bench. Is there a way of us being able to fit in both Williams and Oztumer in the same team?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    You mean the English "Polish" guy who was born in England, lived in the UK all his life and only ever played for English clubs (apart from a loan spell at Motherwell)?

• Options

Half expecting Birmingham to set up to contain us and try to nick a goal or two on the break so would be looking to recreate the magic of that first half vs Forest. Kayal and Hemed in for Field and Taylor.

—————Phillips
    —————-Kayal
    ———Gallagher Cullen
    —————Oztumer
    ————Hemed Leko

Subs: Amos, Lapslie, Pearce, Pratley, Williams, Aneke, Taylor
    I think that team may be very close to what Bowyer goes with... Main question mark, for me, is Kayal going straight in to the team. 
  • Options
    I think Taylor will be on the bench (at best), if there's even the slightest doubt about him then i would prefer it if he wasn't risked. I also wonder if Bowyer might have Williams on the bench as he played 90 minutes for Wales the other day and we have plenty of midfield options.
  • Options
    Did Birmingham City have any players on international duty last week ?
  • Options
    1-0 Charlton. Hard work but persistence is key! 

Turkish Messi to open his account!
  • Options
    Run keeps going a hard fought victory 2-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We can't go all season unbeaten.  

It’s unlikely, but under Bowyer I wouldn’t dismiss it just yet
  • Options
    I personally feel Oshilaja deserves that RB spot more than Solly right now, so hope he fills that spot.

With the Taylor niggling injury, I'd expect Hemed to start and would be good to see what he can really do, hasn't really had much since signing.

3-1 Charlton - Leko, Hemed and Lockyer on the scoresheet.
  • Options
    You mean the English "Polish" guy who was born in England, lived in the UK all his life and only ever played for English clubs (apart from a loan spell at Motherwell)?

I suspect he means the player with a  name of likely Polish origin who may choose to identify themself in any way they see fit. 😉
  • Options
    I would not risk Taylor to start but put him on the bench and bring on if needed in the 2nd half. Use Hamed as the main striker. This will let LB see how effective Hamed is and if good will show Taylor that he is not the only successful striker in the team as well as not risking his injury.
    Close game 1-0 scored late in the 2nd half
  • Options
    Another great write-up by one of the resident Charlton Life amateur journalists. Every week I say this is going to be a toughie and I’ll not change my view this week. Birmingham City blow hot and cold but they’ll be up for for this, I reckon. They’ll want to be the first team to beat the mighty Charlton Athletic. Praying for a win, hoping for a draw but I think we’ll lose a closely fought contest with a late goal and no time to come back. 1-0 to the Cheeky Bloinders
  • Options
    I seem to remember Simon Church having a good game up at St.Andrews in a 1 nil win, so in homage to spongefoot it has to be 1-0, Oztumer at the back post rising like a salmon. 
  • Options
    I seem to remember Simon Church having a good game up at St.Andrews in a 1 nil win, so in homage to spongefoot it has to be 1-0, Oztumer at the back post rising like a salmon. Remember when Jacko scored the winner there - absolutely freezing and Lookman terrorised them. Happy days.
  • Options
    Remember when Jacko scored the winner there - absolutely freezing and Lookman terrorised them. Happy days.
  • Options
    Be good to see Otzumer instead of Field
    Trying to imagine Oztumer playing in Field's role. 
    I suppose you could move Cullen to the base but there's no point. Pratley and Field have been doing just fine.