Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recommend a decent instant coffee

Comments

• Options
    Kenya/Columbian beans and use a grinder. It takes a minute at most. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    kimbo said:
    There isn’t one. Get an Italian stove top maker and make in the morning. (Colombian coffee) put in a contigo coffee mug which keeps hot for ages and then top up as needed. 

I am considering if I need to get a coffee grinder instead of buying the ground coffee. 🙂
    This x100. The stove top moka pots cost about £12-£15 and use normal ground coffee. My favourite so far is Waitrose italian blend. Cant drink instant now, and the pod stuff just doesnt compare. Intense flavour, and makes the kitchen smell fabulous. Instant wont do that.

Agree with you agreeing with me :) , i like Waitrose Italian blend too

• Options
    Aldi Colombian
  • Options
    L'Or Intense
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I see the coffee gestapo are out in force.

simple question of :

Recommend a decent instant coffee

But people cant help themselves  ignoring the question and opening post, and spout their unwanted views.
    maybe because the initial post seemed to suggest he can't find an instant coffee he likes as much as fresh coffee but he doesn't want to spend hundreds on a machine and have 20 minutes prep ....
    but you can spend a tenner on a simple cafetière - then 20 seconds prep gets you fresh coffee.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    That azera is 5% ground coffee; millicano is 15%.  Just saying, in case you drink azera thinking you're actually getting anything significantly different from an instant for the higher price you are paying.

Azera even tastes like a bland instant to me.  Millicano tasted pretty good originally, until they changed the recipe years ago.  Now it's a bit odd, but all instants and similar are.
  • Options
    Alta Rica or any of the Tesco finest brand
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    yes you can actually buy this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Not really answering your question but i am thinking of giving one of these a go- an instant way of making good coffee in a portabl container as seen on dragons den.  Like the sound of it.

https://the-oomph.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwlujnBRBlEiwAuWx4LS9ucDI4yjkkes4CA10Mf22lPZwOSJvEAc6-ND02-jScNf0PezYExRoCdMMQAvD_BwE&v=79cba1185463

• Options
    Suppose it depends if you want milk in it 

Been using percol coffee bags recently..their ok If you like it black 
  • Options
    Instant coffee is muck. 
    Coffee bags or individual filters if you want a quick solution.
  • Options
    I’m afraid I’m also of the school of thought that feels “decent instant coffee” is an oxymoron.....
    Apologies for being in the coffee gestapo. 

However... when I’ve been subjected to it, Millicano is better than most. 

It’s actually quite easy to create real coffee with very little effort or expense. 
    French press (i.e. cafetière) is probably the quickest, easiest and cheapest method. 
    Coffee bags are a reasonable compromise (and great when travelling as hotel coffee is generally mediocre instant at best) 
  • Options
    Been seeing this thread every day and resisted opening untill today as I don't like coffee or know anything about it!
  • Options
    Aldi's version of Nescafe Azera isn't too bad either.
  • Options
    I'm reading this with a vested interest, I don't like coffee but as billions of others seem to I think there must be something up with me. I have tried and tried to like coffee but it leaves me with a similar aftertaste of smoking a rothmans and for anyone who has never tried that the taste is metallic and disgusting. 

The only place I've found the coffee actually enjoyable was in a bikers pub in Leuven, Belgium. It was only a small one with some cremer in it but that was nice and I think I had someone elses because when I ordered the same again it was disgusting! 

The best I have found recently or at least most effective as I only really drink coffee for the effect of the caffeine rather than the taste is the Nescafe 2 in 1 sachets you get in poundland. 
  • Options
    Look, instant coffee is basically just Coffee flavouring. Robusta beans are vile - they taste like soap - so they have to make it artificially flavoured to make it drinkable. But this thread wasn't about coffee poncery - it was about finding instant coffee that is drinkable. Azera or Millicano are the best bet
  • Options
    Been seeing this thread every day and resisted opening untill today as I don't like coffee or know anything about it!
    Then instant coffee's for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was there an instant winner?

Or was the winner still brewing?
  • Options
    Carter, I am a great fan of Leuven, stayed there as part of Belgian 200. Which bikers pub?
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I'm reading this with a vested interest, I don't like coffee but as billions of others seem to I think there must be something up with me. I have tried and tried to like coffee but it leaves me with a similar aftertaste of smoking a rothmans and for anyone who has never tried that the taste is metallic and disgusting. 

The only place I've found the coffee actually enjoyable was in a bikers pub in Leuven, Belgium. It was only a small one with some cremer in it but that was nice and I think I had someone elses because when I ordered the same again it was disgusting! 

The best I have found recently or at least most effective as I only really drink coffee for the effect of the caffeine rather than the taste is the Nescafe 2 in 1 sachets you get in poundland. 
    You just need a skinny latte with soy milk and two squirts of vanilla syrup.
  • Options
    Carter, I am a great fan of Leuven, stayed there as part of Belgian 200. Which bikers pub?
    Havent got a clue mate, we didn't remember the names of anywhere. I know we stayed at the Mercure on a little plaza and that's about all I can tell you. This place was about 10 minutes walk from there and the main plaza was about another 10 minutes walk if you are taking your time I'd guess 

• Options
    I've got a small Nespresso machine and it makes a cup of coffee as quickly as boiling water in a kettle. But only one at a time. I'm the oly coffee drinker in the house. But if there's more than one of you and you want a quick cup then stick to instant. Can't recommend any; in the wrong country.
  • Options
    I've got a small Nespresso machine and it makes a cup of coffee as quickly as boiling water in a kettle. But only one at a time. I'm the oly coffee drinker in the house. But if there's more than one of you and you want a quick cup then stick to instant. Can't recommend any; in the wrong country.
    Some lovely coffe in vietnam.
  • Options
    One of the most important factors when it comes to coffee is its aroma.

Nescafe and others ensure their instants smell good by capturing real coffee aroma molecules during production and spraying it back onto the granules in the final production process. Have you noticed how good the smell is when opening a new jar?

Much of your instant coffee enjoyment is down to that initial sniff ... and your imagination :smile:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Can anyone recommend a decent ground coffee?

Drink black coffee so no point in a big expensive machine but now I'm working from home more often may get a cafetiere and get some good quality ground coffee.
  • Options
    I think Taylor’s of Harrogate has a good range of ground coffee. 
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent ground coffee?

Drink black coffee so no point in a bit expensive machine but now I'm working from home more often may get a cafetiere and get some good quality ground coffee.
    Waitrose number one range is good and pretty cheap at 3.50 a bag. I use their Sumatran one and it's really good, albeit I use the beans and an espresso machine. Been better than the subscription coffee I get in fact. 

Agree Taylor's of Harrogate is good too, some people don't like it but lazy Sunday is a good all rounder.