Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recommend a decent instant coffee

13»

Comments

• Options
    Yep DA9 you have walked into psued corner!
  • Options
    The wife goes out of her way to buy these, so must be OK.
    Sell them in Sainsbury’s or Morrison’s I think.

• Options
    I drink Tesco Gold. Can't taste the difference from Nescafé Gold. Much cheaper. 
  • Options
    MOBY DUCK said:

I tried that and wasn't keen.
    The worst instant I'd had.
    Wife thought the same.
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    The wife goes out of her way to buy these, so must be OK.
    Sell them in Sainsbury’s or Morrison’s I think.

I agree they’re great with full flavour.  Taylor’s (mentioned earlier) also do a good range of coffee bags.  Sainsbury’s own brand aren’t bad either.
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent ground coffee?

Drink black coffee so no point in a big expensive machine but now I'm working from home more often may get a cafetiere and get some good quality ground coffee.
    I have a filter coffee machine. A lot comes down to personal preference, whether you prefer a lighter roast which gives a more sour flavour or a darker roast which gives a more burnt flavour. I'm happy to use Supermarket own brand coffee, Lidl sometimes does good weekend offers on its Columbian ground coffee
  • Options
    Starbucks Via is pretty good for an instant, otherwise go for something like the the Taylors of Harrogate Coffee Bags, does a very decent cup of coffee in not much time
  • Options
    I've never quite understood the appeal of instant coffee.
    Is the clue in the name - with convincing marketing to make people think it saves them time?

Making superior coffee in a French Press/cafetiere only takes a couple of minutes while it's brewing, about the same length of time as brewing tea in a tea pot. 

And even if you make instant coffee, having spooned in the coffee powder and added hot water to the cup, everybody leaves it to stand for a few minutes anyway - because it's too hot to drink! Where's the time saved there?

It's a marketing con. 

• Options
    I like I like M&S Colombian ground coffee. I have an Italian stovetop coffee maker. I have saved £000s on coffee. Make one take to work In a contigo cup and then top up with hot water when I have drank half. The cup keeps it hot for ages. Also take to the Valley as their coffee is shite. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Is the clue in the name - with convincing marketing to make people think it saves them time?

Making superior coffee in a French Press/cafetiere only takes a couple of minutes while it's brewing, about the same length of time as brewing tea in a tea pot. 

And even if you make instant coffee, having spooned in the coffee powder and added hot water to the cup, everybody leaves it to stand for a few minutes anyway - because it's too hot to drink! Where's the time saved there?

It's a marketing con. 

The Cafetiere is a lot of faff for one cup.AND you need to wash it afterwards
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

It's a marketing con. 

It's no more faff than a tea pot. And don't forget, you need to wash your cup too. :smile:

• Options
    Get a one cup V60 set up, super quick and easy
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's a marketing con. 

It's no more faff than a tea pot. And don't forget, you need to wash your cup too. :smile:

You wouldn't use a tea pot for one cup though!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

It's a marketing con. 

You wouldn't use a tea pot for one cup though!
    Ah, it could be a small teapot though! lol

My French GF makes tea for just herself in a small red teapot only big enough to fill a mug.

But she still makes coffee for just herself in a 1-cup size cafetiere. 

Edit: I should also add, most people in France won't drink instant coffee.

• Options
    The French drink appalling coffee 
  • Options
    We drink the Aldi Instant. Only £1.35 a jar and every bit as good as a branded gold coffee

• Options
    Azera for instant as unlike the freeze dried Kenco milicano it contains real coffee grounds .
    i was brought a small Nesspreso machine for Xmas & wasn’t sure but it’s fantastic no milk function & Nesspreso don’t do cappuccino etc pods just proper coffee , u can get ones with milk I think but the basic one costs very little & it’s an amazing cup in 30 seconds with a single button push , no measuring no mess no fuss just one push & a  Wonderful selection of capsules & if u drink a cup a day they give u a machine for a quid !! That’s right u can have a lovely coffee machine for the low low price of a Charlton Athletic !  
  • Options
    We have a nespresso which is good but i cant be bothered with the faff of it, i go costa/starbucks preferably but during lockdown i have been buying Nescafe instant cappuccino unsweetened, have a bit of cream in it. Some others i dont really like but as long as you stir it enough and get rid of the lumps its good. Also have the instant Azera Americano one at home which i have tried but prefer the cappuccino sachets personally. 
  • Options
    We have a nespresso which is good but i cant be bothered with the faff of it, i go costa/starbucks preferably but during lockdown i have been buying Nescafe instant cappuccino unsweetened, have a bit of cream in it. Some others i dont really like but as long as you stir it enough and get rid of the lumps its good. Also have the instant Azera Americano one at home which i have tried but prefer the cappuccino sachets personally. 
    What faf is there with your Nesspreso? 
    With mine u put capsule in push the one & only button once & 30 secs latter a nice fresh coffee that really is it, mines done b4 the kettles boiled for mrs spitfires tea.
  • Options
    Most instants are crap but the good ones taste much much better made with hot milk instead of water. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most instants are crap but the good ones taste much much better made with hot milk instead of water. 
    I thought u lot just drank liquor 
  • Options
    So a latte then. 
  • Options
    What faf is there with your Nesspreso? 
    With mine u put capsule in push the one & only button once & 30 secs latter a nice fresh coffee that really is it, mines done b4 the kettles boiled for mrs spitfires tea.
    Fair . we dont really use it. Capsules put away, have to refill the water, it doesn't take long but easier/convenience i boil the kettle and use a sachet or teabag if tea lol, i walk away log into work computer and kettle boiled by then, probably the coffee machine would be too tbf just not really used regular only the odd one and have a million different shots to try and see which is preferred.
  • Options
    Azera for instant as unlike the freeze dried Kenco milicano it contains real coffee grounds .
    i was brought a small Nesspreso machine for Xmas & wasn’t sure but it’s fantastic no milk function & Nesspreso don’t do cappuccino etc pods just proper coffee , u can get ones with milk I think but the basic one costs very little & it’s an amazing cup in 30 seconds with a single button push , no measuring no mess no fuss just one push & a  Wonderful selection of capsules & if u drink a cup a day they give u a machine for a quid !! That’s right u can have a lovely coffee machine for the low low price of a Charlton Athletic !  
    Azerra is only 5% roast coffee grounds, whereas Kenco Millicano is 15%!
  • Options
    Azerra is only 5% roast coffee grounds, whereas Kenco Millicano is 15%!
    Fair play I didn’t realise , maybe it’s because it’s freeze dried rather than powder the flavour doesn’t seem to come through , there is a surprisingly big difference in the two , no chance of any mixups in a blind taste test , the Azera will give a frothy top unlike the milicano but I don’t think it changes the taste, the intensio will get u going in the morning.
  • Options
    Here you go, try these, instant, but use proper coffee

https://www.taylorsofharrogate.co.uk/products/flying-start/
  • Options
    Exposed coffee goes off quickly.
    Nespresso has a huge advantage in that regard.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Exposed coffee goes off quickly.
    Nespresso has a huge advantage in that regard.
    I love my Nesspreso but the capsules are hideously bad for the environment and for anyone that has one I’d strongly recommend using their free bag & recycling service as conventional recycling can’t deal with them 
  • Options
    summer here. Had a cold filtered coffee today. I gave to say it hit the spot. The filtering process removes bitterness a bit and the coldness is very refreshing without losing the caffeine hit… also in posting this I just posted on the oldest thread still alive. I imagine that might do any OCD Administers’ heads in. They probably had plans to archive this thread this week. There’s darkness in all of us.
  • Options
    Carte Noire Classique

Does the job in terms of a caffeine hit and tastes okay.