Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth fans

Comments

• Options
    It also says in the same book that they have come across Charlton on a few occasions and give us a bit of respect. But I suppose we had Millwall with us on them occasions as well.
  • Options
    fog horn said:
    It also says in the same book that they have come across Charlton on a few occasions and give us a bit of respect. But I suppose we had Millwall with us on them occasions as well.
    Well you suppose wrong there foggy.....never in a million years.
  • Options
    fog horn said:
    Well you suppose wrong there foggy.....never in a million years.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
    We had a huge rivalry with Pompey during the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Talking to a couple of their lads once they said they always had to take a solid mob to Charlton and palace because it was inevitable that Millwall would have a go at either Waterloo or along the line somewhere on route to the valley or selhurst Park. Their train once got attacked at Queens Road Peckham on the way to palace. Not something I’m glorying in, just explains why they turned up at yours mob handed. Nothing to do with respect for charlton, more to do with the rivalry with Millwall. 
    Load of bollocks 

Not really. It’s quite a well known fact amongst those who were/are involved in this sort of thing that Millwall and Pompey would seek each other out whenever Pompey we’re away to palace and Charlton. 

I read that 657 book years ago and the chapter on Millwall was the biggest in the book (bigger than the chapter in Southampton) and it’s mentioned in there about the clashes v Millwall whenever they was away at yours and palace. As I say, I’m not glorifying it. I couldn’t give a shit either way tbh, I’m just stating a fact. 
    It was a load of bollocks that pompey HAD to take a solid mob because they were frightened of you.

Throughout the 70's/80's firms would often bump into each other at stations, sometimes planned usually random. Remember no mobiles then or arranged fights.

One of the most vicious I was in was coming back from QPR a tube train full of Chelsea pulled up and we got in. It was carnage.

How old are you MF?
  • Options
    No one knows nothing about what did or didn't happen in Greenwich on Saturday then?
  • Options
    No one knows nothing about what did or didn't happen in Greenwich on Saturday then?
    Don’t tell him Pike!
  • Options
    I know someone shit in the doorway of JOY. I've got a picture if you want to see it.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
    We had a huge rivalry with Pompey during the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Talking to a couple of their lads once they said they always had to take a solid mob to Charlton and palace because it was inevitable that Millwall would have a go at either Waterloo or along the line somewhere on route to the valley or selhurst Park. Their train once got attacked at Queens Road Peckham on the way to palace. Not something I’m glorying in, just explains why they turned up at yours mob handed. Nothing to do with respect for charlton, more to do with the rivalry with Millwall. 
    Load of bollocks 

Not really. It’s quite a well known fact amongst those who were/are involved in this sort of thing that Millwall and Pompey would seek each other out whenever Pompey we’re away to palace and Charlton. 

I read that 657 book years ago and the chapter on Millwall was the biggest in the book (bigger than the chapter in Southampton) and it’s mentioned in there about the clashes v Millwall whenever they was away at yours and palace. As I say, I’m not glorifying it. I couldn’t give a shit either way tbh, I’m just stating a fact. 
    It was a load of bollocks that pompey HAD to take a solid mob because they were frightened of you.

Throughout the 70's/80's firms would often bump into each other at stations, sometimes planned usually random. Remember no mobiles then or arranged fights.

One of the most vicious I was in was coming back from QPR a tube train full of Chelsea pulled up and we got in. It was carnage.

How old are you MF?
    Mid 40’s. 

Most of you have missed the point here so I’ll leave it. 

Funny though, how the vast majority on here are quick to knock us for our reputation, but when your own hooligan reputation gets questioned you soon go on the defensive  lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    I’ve met Rob Sylvester of 657 fame, he tells it differently, not saying there isn’t an element of what you say, but a few on here have had many run ins with pompey over the years, and Millwall were the last thing on their minds
    I do remember you attacking a train full of Gooner’s at new cross gate on the way back from selhurst against us in the late 80’s
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Load of bollocks 

How old are you MF?
    Mid 40’s. 

Funny though, how the vast majority on here are quick to knock us for our reputation, but when your own hooligan reputation gets questioned you soon go on the defensive  lol
    I don't think we have missed the point. You're talking about an era and things you probably had nothing to do with other than reading a book and talking to a couple of their lads.

I'm 62 and could tell you all sorts of stories about Charlton/millwall in the 70's early 80's. None of it pleasant.
    Spot on
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Explains why they took 12000 to a midweek league cup tie at Anfield, just in case there was a welcoming committee from miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii cough spluttter wall 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    redbuttle said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    One thing hasn't changed, you still talk b******s in the 70's.80's.90's  and 2000's.  Another keyboard warrior. 
    You are talking crap this time. In the 70s Charlton got in the Pompey end and stood their ground. 
    Early 70s 2 football specials, umpteen coaches & loads on regular trains, we Charlton hooligans took the Fratton easy. Same in 67. In fact all through the late 60s to late 70s Charlton always were in the Fratton End with the exception of the FA Cup replay when some of us were on the halfway line while most were getting soaked on the open end (not saying Charlton always took it we didn't but we were always there)
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Load of bollocks 

Now I know it’s b******s. Either someone read you that chapter or it was in pictures.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    Load of bollocks 

How old are you MF?
    Mid 40’s. 

I don't think we have missed the point. You're talking about an era and things you probably had nothing to do with other than reading a book and talking to a couple of their lads.

I'm 62 and could tell you all sorts of stories about Charlton/millwall in the 70's early 80's. None of it pleasant.
    Lol you don’t know how wrong you are there mate. Seriously. 
  • Options
    What it sounds like, and what it actually was like, are poles apart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excruciatingly painful thread to read... grown adults ffs!

Agree with SE9, football in this era sounds shite.
    Thats easy mate, don't read it.
  • Options
    Fair dos, didn't mean it to come across quite as poorly as that to be fair.
  • Options
    no segregation at games in those days hardly any stewards and in the lower leagues no Plod. if you went "up north" they dressed completely differentially to Londoners if you went away to follow your team you stood together or risked getting a thumping on your own
  • Options
    no segregation at games in those days hardly any stewards and in the lower leagues no Plod. if you went "up north" they dressed completely differentially to Londoners if you went away to follow your team you stood together or risked getting a thumping on your own
    Yup 
  • Options

Remember well drinking out side the Royal Oak it wasn't summer but pub was packed. I'm guessing at about early 80,s. Pompey came up over the railway crossing and it went off at the oak. Including some kind of home made explosive device that left a really large burn on the car bonnet it exploded on. 

Trouble is so many Millwall fans spout shit about their history and people suck it up and add their bit before passing it on. Although Charlton from the age of five, I was a South London lad. Perhaps the last of an era that went to both clubs. Many of my best mates were Millwall, I was at many of the biggest Millwall games over the years, Luton , West Ham, West Brom, Villa even Lincoln on a Tuesday night in the Sherpa Van final or what ever it was called back then. 

Whilst Millwall fans who know fuck all will spout the anorak train spotting shit about us. If you actually meet the guys who were really there, you will find a lot of respect for our 70's into 80,s firm. They knew they always had us in numbers of hardcore up front hooligans. But, they also knew that on if we put our main 40 up against their best, it would be no walk over. Hence the many occasions their second string hoolies came in the covered end and got a bloody good hiding. Then retreating until the heavier mob arrived. 

I have stood toe to toe out the back of the Alderton road terrace, on a dark Tuesday night at 9:45 having it large. An some Millwall Fan can come on here and say what he likes. But, as it was 20 years before he was born, I will go with my memory rather than his knowledge of Millwalls history.

This is no attempt to glorify those days. It was , what it was. An I don't regret a day of it. I don't remember to many people getting badly hurt. Black eyes fat lips, and flat noses were the order of the day. Weapons were rarely carried or used. An were frowned upon by most, as if can't hold your hands up then don't come. 

But, like ricketts, the British Empire , an white dog shit, it's now ancient history and the world has fortunately moved on. 

20 years before I was born? What the mid 50’s?? 

Mate, I know all the main lot from Millwall who were involved in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, and have done for a very long time, and I have never heard anyone rate Charlton as a mob, not once. Respect? Not once have I heard that. Sorry. 

Agree with the last last paragraph though. Night
  • Options
    night night chief i have never had any respect for millwall in anyway so no hard feelings 
  • Options
    Night is the best thing he’s said all day!!