Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth fans

Comments

• Options
    It's looking more and more likely that we shall meet them in the playoffs. 
    Hopefully we can finish 4th and Pompy 5th .
    2nd leg at the valley. 
    Two lively encounter s to come 
    Or 3rd and meet them at Wembley.
  • Options
    The police presence around the ground was as usual massive,if they cant prevent minor skirmishes in and around the ground why are they there.At least 50 officers around floyd road(no wonder they havent got enough on the streets to prevent knife crimes)
    They don't want to know, only after easy overtime money.

3 plod initially sent up to the boxes, I said to one you have got to do something my 11 year old Grandson is terrified. He replied, unbelievably, private land can't do anything unless Charlton tell us. Pathetic answer from a pathetic copper, go and Nick a driver 1 mph over the limit, simples. Take on a few drug fuelled hooligans, oh no too hard.

That is a disgraceful response.  
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    The police presence around the ground was as usual massive,if they cant prevent minor skirmishes in and around the ground why are they there.At least 50 officers around floyd road(no wonder they havent got enough on the streets to prevent knife crimes)

3 plod initially sent up to the boxes, I said to one you have got to do something my 11 year old Grandson is terrified. He replied, unbelievably, private land can't do anything unless Charlton tell us. Pathetic answer from a pathetic copper, go and Nick a driver 1 mph over the limit, simples. Take on a few drug fuelled hooligans, oh no too hard.

That is a disgraceful response.  
    Didn't stop a few of them pepper spraying us at Shrewsbury last May. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Are they saying I can break the law on my own land as it's private?

If so, I'm inviting Roland round for coffee.
    Well if you believe the idiot I spoke to yes, lol.
  • Options
    When we got off the train at Charlton yesterday they had everybody pass by the row of baseball capped officers. ‘Are you going to the match ?’ I get asked when I finally get to the front. ‘Yes’ I reply’. ‘Which side are you on ?’ He asks. ‘charlton’ I say. ‘Who ?’ He replies...
  • Options
    When we got off the train at Charlton yesterday they had everybody pass by the row of baseball capped officers. ‘Are you going to the match ?’ I get asked when I finally get to the front. ‘Yes’ I reply’. ‘Which side are you on ?’ He asks. ‘charlton’ I say. ‘Who ?’ He replies...
    Maybe he thought you were going to see The Who?
  • Options
    Maybe he thought you were going to see The Who?
    Touche 'Who are you......Who Who?  ;)
  • Options

Absolute garbage & should be taken up with whoever organises the match day policing now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was it pompey in the west stand?
    Seemed to take ages for the OB and Stewards to sort  out.
    Yep as I mentioned on match thread had 2 boxes either side of us, pissed up, drugged up pricks. Charlton response was lazy and it was turning nasty. 

After they had been ejected well into away end a couple of staff turned up to apologise and said they were unaware? This was a good couple of hours after they had placed a couple of security outside each box.

i said on the other thread nobody really gave a shit as long as a few extra quid came In, Charltons attitude is sod people's safety let's sell more tickets.

To add insult to injury at the end of the game some managed to get back in, the people in charge of security are hopeless, somebody's head should roll over this.

they won't have heard the last of this.
    Burger Tony's revenge?
  • Options
    There has always been a lot of rivalry between us and Pompey.My first game against them 1967(we won 4-1) they was in the covered end.Some on here will recall many 'friendly' encounters with them(anyone in the Ship pub when we played them when at Sellout).Anyway just can't understand what the police don't hold them back after the game - it happens to us at Scumwall- letting everyone out together is a recipe for madness
  • Options
    There has always been a lot of rivalry between us and Pompey.My first game against them 1967(we won 4-1) they was in the covered end.Some on here will recall many 'friendly' encounters with them(anyone in the Ship pub when we played them when at Sellout).Anyway just can't understand what the police don't hold them back after the game - it happens to us at Scumwall- letting everyone out together is a recipe for madness
    Have the club ever held any away fans back? Remember when they wanted us to stay behinds when we payed the spanners.
  • Options
    I though the police tactics yesterday could have been better.

Firstly, a 5:30 KO tells you that  many fans will have been somewhere first for a drink, and we have no designated away pub (AFAIK).

It was an away sell-out, so expect some "wrong-enders" - why not shuffle them into the empty East Stand block and segregate it.

There was a lot of unnecessary provoking at the top of Floyd Road when I arrived - mostly by CAFC fans.

The after match segregating just doesn't work because so many people want to go to the same station, the chip shop area segregation is only postponing the inevitable. It would be better to keep the away fans behind after the game - as much as I dislike this practice, I think it's the only one that works for big visiting support.

I saw a lot of upset folk after the game because of crowd behavior, and sad to say, I think CAFC fans were the instigators in most cases I saw.

We should be able to have games against Pompey without trouble. I like their fans and admire the support they give. They will sell out the away end at Walsall midweek for a pretty meaningless game (points wise), which is something we would struggle to do. Both sides should be able to visit the others' ground without any trouble.
    Been said a number of times on here......they are the club we have played more than any other in our history.
    Boro also come close I believe.
  • Options
    I though the police tactics yesterday could have been better.

Firstly, a 5:30 KO tells you that  many fans will have been somewhere first for a drink, and we have no designated away pub (AFAIK).

It was an away sell-out, so expect some "wrong-enders" - why not shuffle them into the empty East Stand block and segregate it.

There was a lot of unnecessary provoking at the top of Floyd Road when I arrived - mostly by CAFC fans.

The after match segregating just doesn't work because so many people want to go to the same station, the chip shop area segregation is only postponing the inevitable. It would be better to keep the away fans behind after the game - as much as I dislike this practice, I think it's the only one that works for big visiting support.

I saw a lot of upset folk after the game because of crowd behavior, and sad to say, I think CAFC fans were the instigators in most cases I saw.

We should be able to have games against Pompey without trouble. I like their fans and admire the support they give. They will sell out the away end at Walsall midweek for a pretty meaningless game (points wise), which is something we would struggle to do. Both sides should be able to visit the others' ground without any trouble.
    Been said a number of times on here......they are the club we have played more than any other in our history.
    Boro also come close I believe.
    I think Leicester are up there too (though not many encounters recently!).

What esteemed company we keep!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Played 'Boro 104 times and Pompey 108.

Leicester only 53 times.

• Options
    My first ever game was against Portsmouth, 29 February 1964. We lost 1-0. Set me up for a lifetime of disappointment.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Played 'Boro 104 times and Pompey 108.

Leicester only 53 times.

Ah sorry, no idea where I got that from then!
  • Options
    Calm down rover!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was watching the game in a pub in Fareham, Portsmouth with my two sons aged 12 and 10. We were in Portsmouth visiting family. The pub was packed. It was a nice pub but the people in there were unsavoury. When Charlton scored, my boys and I celebrated quietly. However, a Southampton fan in there celebrated wildly. I thought he was going to get lynched. Then when Portsmouth equalised, there was so much bad language that my boys asked if we could leave. We had to leave at half-time as the atmosphere was too unpleasant.  
  • Options
    I was in The Ship that day, fun and games. 

@Tavern the afters in Manhattans when we played them at Upton Park was interesting too!
  • Options
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
  • Options
    fog horn said:
    Pompey have always come to us in their numbers. They seem to respect us but it can be a little hostile down at their place.
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    fog horn said:
    in the world of "Terrace Culture" the fact that Pompey respect little old Charlton is quite impressive  In their pomp (excuse the pun), with the 657 crew, Pompey were a match for most ! 
    We had a huge rivalry with Pompey during the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Talking to a couple of their lads once they said they always had to take a solid mob to Charlton and palace because it was inevitable that Millwall would have a go at either Waterloo or along the line somewhere on route to the valley or selhurst Park. Their train once got attacked at Queens Road Peckham on the way to palace. Not something I’m glorying in, just explains why they turned up at yours mob handed. Nothing to do with respect for charlton, more to do with the rivalry with Millwall. 

• Options
    Remember the game in 1963 the heavens opened up during leaving the pitch with a lot of water on it, my mate & I got soaked. Thank fully the sun came out again it was a nice day.  We won 2-0.  

Many Pompey fans stood amongst us on the East Terrace, no trouble.  Mind you it was the days when fans stood together.