Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flat Earth or Not?

Comments

• Options
    If you had to pick a theory, Roland is sane or The Earth is flat, the Flat Earth Theory becomes much more compelling.
  • Options
  • Options
    rina said:
    Sorry, but what does that mean?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    rina said:
    Sorry, but what does that mean?
    AMA is Ask Me Anything. Essentially it's a limited time online interview where for a certain period of time users of a website, reddit being the main one that does it, can ask the interviewee anything they like and they'll respond 

So you could ask the creators of the documentary anything you like about the crazies they filmed- or you can now go on and read the responses to the questions that were asked
  • Options
    Heard the other day there’s a genuine flat earther at my work. His team bought him a globe to put on his desk.

Someone else apparently believes a lot of conspiracies, including planes releasing “chemtrails”, presumably for mind control by the government or something similar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    These people are quite simply cotrarians who have a level of cynicism that is unbelievably unhealthy.

If the prevailing wisdom was that the world was flat, they would tell you it was round.

Some people just disbelieve the majority and believe the minority, no matter how implausible.
  • Options
    I watched the Netflix Flat Earthers doc, some of it comedy gold. Like the bit they are trying to measure the earths “flatness” with a laser that wouldn’t be out of place in a pound shop. Or another one of their experiments where the were trying to disprove the earth spins at a rate of 15 degrees per hour, only to actually prove it does. 

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    These people are quite simply cotrarians who have a level of cynicism that is unbelievably unhealthy.

If the prevailing wisdom was that the world was flat, they would tell you it was round.

Some people just disbelieve the majority and believe the minority, no matter how implausible.
    There is nothing wrong with the principle of not taking everything you are told at face value. However, you need to back that up with a detailed look at the evidence, assess both sides of the picture then male a decision. And apply the same level of rigour to some spotty teenagers blog online as you apparently do to peer reviewed scientific journals.

When I say you I am referring to the average flat earther. Not you specifically.
  • Options
    Anyone that thinks it is flat is a first class wanker fact ⚓ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone that thinks it is flat is a first class wanker fact ⚓ 
    Does that apply to map makers?😉
  • Options
    I recall a teacher once telling us that a circle is actually a series of joined up straight lines we perceive as dots.  On that basis the earth is a series of joined up straight bits and you are always standing on a flat dot of earth. It does mean however that you have to be careful to avoid the cracks where they join.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Can anyone tell me what their answer is to the following, and I know obviously this doesn't mean you believe it, I am just wondering what their explanation is:

1) the fact that if you went continuously East/West/North/South you would end back at your original location. 

2) All of the pictures of the Earth taken from space

Just interested, although like many things where we get so worked up about people having opinions different to our own, it doesn't really matter.
    If you continuosly walked south you wouldn't get back to your original location. 

You'd either stop at the south pole or start heading north.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Can anyone tell me what their answer is to the following, and I know obviously this doesn't mean you believe it, I am just wondering what their explanation is:

1) the fact that if you went continuously East/West/North/South you would end back at your original location. 

Just interested, although like many things where we get so worked up about people having opinions different to our own, it doesn't really matter.
    If you continuosly walked south you wouldn't get back to your original location. 

nice unexplained thread bump
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

A bit like the old school riddle: You have a house where every wall faces south. A big bear wanders by outside. What colour is the bear?
  • Options
    It's quite flat where I live.
  • Options
    It's quite flat where I live.
    What, in the Happy Valley?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

A bit like the old school riddle: You have a house where every wall faces south. A big bear wanders by outside. What colour is the bear?
    You can’t leave us hanging. What’s the answer? 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

White as it would be a polar bear 
  • Options
    White, because if every side of the house faces south it can only be at the North Pole. Therefore it must be a polar bear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It depends on the definition of the proximity of 'outside' as every type of bear could potentially be in scope.
  • Options
    Amused me that when I looked at CL this thread was next to the mental illness thread. No disrespect meant to those who suffer from genuine mental illness, of course.  
  • Options
    How have I only just seen this thread?  It's an absolute belter!!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

Could be an albino brown bear ? Nothing is always as it seems.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

Could be black, someone might have shaved it.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

Could be black, someone might have shaved it.
    Exactly. Proved my point for me. 👍
  • Options
    Maybe it was a grizzly bear that followed the ice wall all the way round. 
  • Options
    If the polar bear had a nosebleed then it would have Charlton colours.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

Is it a gummy bear