Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flat Earth or Not?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:
    Can anyone tell me what their answer is to the following, and I know obviously this doesn't mean you believe it, I am just wondering what their explanation is:

1) the fact that if you went continuously East/West/North/South you would end back at your original location. 

2) All of the pictures of the Earth taken from space

Just interested, although like many things where we get so worked up about people having opinions different to our own, it doesn't really matter.
    If you continuosly walked south you wouldn't get back to your original location. 

You'd either stop at the south pole or start heading north.
    A bit like the old school riddle: You have a house where every wall faces south. A big bear wanders by outside. What colour is the bear?
    You can’t leave us hanging. What’s the answer? 
    White as it would be a polar bear 
    Could be an albino brown bear ? Nothing is always as it seems.
    Could be black, someone might have shaved it.
    It would be a very cold polar bear at the North Pole.

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Can anyone tell me what their answer is to the following, and I know obviously this doesn't mean you believe it, I am just wondering what their explanation is:

1) the fact that if you went continuously East/West/North/South you would end back at your original location. 

Just interested, although like many things where we get so worked up about people having opinions different to our own, it doesn't really matter.
    If you continuosly walked south you wouldn't get back to your original location. 

If you continuously walked south from the North Pole ......  you'd soon get your feet wet.

• Options
    It wasn't just that their performances were a bit flat then?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Not that it requires explanation to anybody on here, but it is easy enough for an individual to see the earth is not flat with no equipment so flat earth people are more interesting in terms of how they can believe something so stupid. A bit like Trump supports and the Q movement I suppose.

Granted to see it yourself, you must have a clear view from the seashore or from a boat. If the Earth is round, then objects which travel away from you along the surface of the Earth will disappear from view from the bottom up (which is what they do). If the earth was flat the sea would be level and that wouldn't happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not that it requires explanation to anybody on here, but it is easy enough for an individual to see the earth is not flat with no equipment so flat earth people are more interesting in terms of how they can believe something so stupid. A bit like Trump supports and the Q movement I suppose.

Granted to see it yourself, you must have a clear view from the seashore or from a boat. If the Earth is round, then objects which travel away from you along the surface of the Earth will disappear from view from the bottom up (which is what they do). If the earth was flat the sea would be level and that wouldn't happen.
    But if you find that huge, open horizon on which to demonstrate the ship disappearing, you will have the flat earther who points to the same horizon and says, 'look, it's flat!' And will take that to mean the earth isn't an oblate spheroid as you insist, otherwise the horizon would curve down at the edges.  It's flat, straight and, indeed, horizontal.  
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

A bit like the old school riddle: You have a house where every wall faces south. A big bear wanders by outside. What colour is the bear?
    Two things. 1) the bear would more likely be swimming (what with global warming) 2) with every wall facing south it would be a wall not an enclosed structure that the bear could easily swim around. Assuming of course that  Santa has built his mono wall house far enough back from the edge. You know what, I’m beginning to doubt Santa lives at the North Edge at all. I mean, can reindeer swim? 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

Two things. 1) the bear would more likely be swimming (what with global warming) 2) with every wall facing south it would be a wall not an enclosed structure that the bear could easily swim around. Assuming of course that  Santa has built his mono wall house far enough back from the edge. You know what, I’m beginning to doubt Santa lives at the North Edge at all. I mean, can reindeer swim? 
    Point 2, is wrong, you could have a 10 sided structure and they would all be facing south. And Reindeer can swim if you chuck them in the water.
  • Options
    I don’t believe anyone really thinks the world is flat (excluding specific religious/cultural situations). 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

Point 2, is wrong, you could have a 10 sided structure and they would all be facing south. And Reindeer can swim if you chuck them in the water.
    Wrongun behaviour though. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Huskaris said:

Where would you be standing to get the leverage to throw the reindeer?! Have you ever tried throwing a reindeer when you are over your head in water. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Way harder than throwing a kettle over a pub.
    Obviously a female svalbard reindeer would be among the easier types of reindeer to throw, being roughly equivalent in weight to a large caber.  So, a fit, male Scotsman would probably find it relatively easy, as long as he was able to retain a solid purchase on the ground below the water.  

(This may be the only time that paragraph has been written on a football forum, anywhere). 
  • Options
    It's recognised round here, that if you travel north of Norwich, you will fall off the edge of the world.  And that if you stand on the top of  Suffolk's highest mountain, on a fine day, you actually see the edge of the world.  More proof, How about the Worlds End pub in Chelsea?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I don’t believe anyone really thinks the world is flat (excluding specific religious/cultural situations). 
    I really, really wish that was true. A lot of it is no doubt trolls and wind ups but there are so many genuine idiots out there that someone, somewhere really truly does believe this crap.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    There are a very small number. I suppose in many ways it is no difference to religion. Or at least fundamental ones. So Adam and Eve for example is impossible as we understand about evolution and natural selection, but some people are just not willing to accept it. But you will get religious people who do accept it and adapt their faith around the evidence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is a football team here in Madrid called Flat Earth FC, who play in the fourth division. The Flat Earth society oddballs took over a local team when they got promoted from the regional league. Very weird lot and feel sorry for the old team's supporters who have had this put on them!
    Sadly it seems that Flat Earth FC have folded.
  • Options
    There is a football team here in Madrid called Flat Earth FC, who play in the fourth division. The Flat Earth society oddballs took over a local team when they got promoted from the regional league. Very weird lot and feel sorry for the old team's supporters who have had this put on them!
    They can come back as Origami FC.
  • Options
    Are we sure they didn’t just fall over the edge?