Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flat Earth or Not?

Comments

• Options
    The Earth is flat and there is a god.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    You may have seen it, but a bit of Saturday evening light entertainment:  :D 

(Absolutely, genuinely, barking mad)

https://youtu.be/erA3WQE9Zes
  • Options
    I went to a talk given by Chris Hadfield, the astronaut, a couple of years ago. He said he respected everyone’s opinion about the shape of the earth and all he could add is that during training he took off in an aircraft, travelled in a straight line and landed back at the same airfield. Said it felt like a clincher to him. 
  • Options
    Why not just take one of these idiots (ideally one of the most flat earth senior whatever clowns) up in a spaceship? Live feed it and ask them to describe what they see.
    Would be expensive, but just for the laugh of it.
    Get Red Bull to sponsor it. 
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Why not just take one of these idiots (ideally one of the most flat earth senior whatever clowns) up in a spaceship? Live feed it and ask them to describe what they see.
    They'd probably claim its some illusion!!

Find those sort of people always have an answer for everything
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Nurse! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The earth isn't flat.  If it was, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now...
    So we need to be wary of you and your little buddies then?
  • Options
    I suspect Duchatalet is a 'flat earther'.
  • Options
    One thing is for sure and that is the more technologically advanced we get the less intelligent some people become. 
  • Options
    Some people just believe that everything they’re being told is a big lie. I have a sister in law that subscribes to lots of crank conspiracies. Not sure she thinks the earth is flat but she certainly believes that 9/11 was blown up on purpose. That the school shootings in America were fake, The EU is an organisation set up by the super elite to control the world. All general elections are rigged and perhaps most bizarrely of all that Jeremy Corbyn is going to be the saviour of at least this country and once in power will spill the beans on all the governments of the world and their secrets. I used to engage for a while but nomatter what argument was put forward I was just told I was being nieve. 
    I work with a guy who has a conspiracy for every day of the year. These people are amusing for a while but they do become a little shouty when you debunk their silliness. The chap I work with, we all tend to avoid certain subjects with him, mention 9/11 and your there for the day.
  • Options
    The problem is that it is healthy to question everything. It is just you need to apply that principle to your own positions on everything. You may see some evidence that makes you think and you may draw a certain conclusion from it, but when you get more information that debunks your conclusion after filling in some gaps, you have to be open to it. Otherwise it is more of a religion than a reasoned position. 
  • Options
    Those three divs need locking up proper thick shites 
  • Options
    Are there only 2 choices ? bit square innit..?
  • Options
    The problem with this thread is that it has made me look into this batshit crazy opinion 

how are these people not locked up for all our safety they are clearly mad as a box of frogs 

i watched one say say the moon is a projected image and that there is probably a dome around us 
    🙈
    So what did the mad man say to that...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If they think the Earth is flat, why don’t they get, like, this massive tuner thing and just tune it up? Everybody knows the Earth is in A.
    It’s not rocket science is it?
  • Options
    The Flat Earth Society, I believe, was originally founded as a debating society to debate concepts and take up contrarian positions as a mind exercise.

It then got a bit out of hand.

That there are people who now seriously believe the Earth is flat is pretty worrying.
  • Options
    "Believing" something has unfortunately once again become a way to indicate what sort of person you are.

Facts are not relevant to what we believe! So believing the earth is flat means that you don't like things which are not what they seem to be. It shows you have an honest personality. 

This is the way religion and politics and Donald Trump have always worked!
  • Options
    More chance of the earth being flat than my stomach unfortunately .
  • Options
    Off_it said:

If the planets are round, why isn't the Earth?

Planets are orbiting astronomical objects. The Earth is not a planet by definition, as it sits at the center of our solar system above which the planets and the Sun revolve. The earths uniqueness, fundamental differences and centrality makes any comparison to other nearby celestial bodies insufficient - Like comparing basketballs to the court on which they bounce.

Mind well and truly blown :smiley:
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Off_it said:

If the planets are round, why isn't the Earth?

Planets are orbiting astronomical objects. The Earth is not a planet by definition, as it sits at the center of our solar system above which the planets and the Sun revolve. The earths uniqueness, fundamental differences and centrality makes any comparison to other nearby celestial bodies insufficient - Like comparing basketballs to the court on which they bounce.

Mind well and truly blown :smiley:

This belief indicates a person who puts a love of the earth and humanity at the centre of his thoughts. 

Not a bad thing really!  But bollocks in the end!

• Options
    Some people just believe that everything they’re being told is a big lie. I have a sister in law that subscribes to lots of crank conspiracies. Not sure she thinks the earth is flat but she certainly believes that 9/11 was blown up on purpose. That the school shootings in America were fake, The EU is an organisation set up by the super elite to control the world. All general elections are rigged and perhaps most bizarrely of all that Jeremy Corbyn is going to be the saviour of at least this country and once in power will spill the beans on all the governments of the world and their secrets. I used to engage for a while but nomatter what argument was put forward I was just told I was being nieve. 
    I work with a guy who has a conspiracy for every day of the year. These people are amusing for a while but they do become a little shouty when you debunk their silliness. The chap I work with, we all tend to avoid certain subjects with him, mention 9/11 and your there for the day.
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, on the odd occasion that you might fancy baiting him, just ask him "Why"? What has anyone to gain from pretending that something exists/happened... 
  • Options
    Any truth in the rumour that Rolund is a platinum sponsor of the flat earth society?