Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Parker - discussion of CharltonTV appearance p19

Comments

• Options
    Do you think we'll be able to sign any better with Roland at the helm?

Of course we can....... and will.
    Parker for all his hard work and effort is way short of Championship standard. 
    So u think Roland will sign 2 or 3 players??
    Yep if he is still around.
    Either way, Bowyer/Jacko/Gallen will know exactly what they need and it will be an upgrade on the likes of Parker.
  • Options
    If we could play Josh as a winger and bring a striker or two in, surely that would work. Means he can also he an acceptable 4th choice striker. 

I do believe not getting above our station is important, esp while knowing we do not spend on fees!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

He keeps the team shape.

Parker works his socks off, challenges for everything, drags defenders out of position,  holds the ball up well, creates space for Taylor plus midfielders running into the box, makes the off the ball runs that nobody sees ..... but a little ponderous, never looks like scoring.

But in the absence of Igor, he's been picked to do a job and he's played his part well within the the last few games.

If people doubt his influence, look at his contribution for our equaliser ..... he threw himself at Taylor's cross taking the defender with him, leaving Purrington a clear space to move into and score.

But the statistics charts won't tell you that.

Fair assessment, but he is not good enough for the league above. Whatever hard work he puts in, he does keep the team shape but doesn't have the pace or instinct to cause trouble.
    I agree with that, JohnnyBev. League One is his level.

Although his performances in the play off games showed him to be twice the player now, 
    than he was when he arrived.

Yet another of the players Bowyer's coaching team has improved greatly.
    Still League One standard though.

• Options
    Reminds me slightly of Neil Heany in terms of his performances and the role in which he worked to help us get promoted. 
  • Options
    Thanks Josh

But far from championship standard, 

Sure a league 1 club will pick him up
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Can you see Roland signing 2 strikers??
    Can you see Igor taking a paycut to stay??
    Is Parker worse than Ajose??
    I was a yes but just wanted to answer these anyway.

1. Hopefully won't have a say.
    2. Yes I could, he knows he owes us and he knows he won't get a salary anywhere near what he has been on.
    3. Not at most of the stuff, but at finishing, yes. Luckily I can see Parker's pace, tenacity and willing getting him scoring goals and a pre-season alongside Lyle I can see really helping him (like it seemed to with KG)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought he played okay for us but let down by finishing. 
  • Options
    When people start getting upset when players like Grant want to move up 2 leagues to Huddersfield, play in the premier league and improve their wages, spare a thought for Josh Parker. He played 90mins in the playoff final and helps get us promoted, then gets released a few days later. It works both ways. 
    Exactly. Whilst Josh Parker is a very limited player who would never cut it in the Championship, it cannot be denied he has run himself ragged for us in the last 2 games and given absolutely everything. But days after what is probably the greatest moment of his career, he gets moved on as he has outlived his usefulness for us. As such, and knowing how they will be treated when they are no longer wanted, I really can understand when players get a much better offer they want to move on. 
  • Options
    Thanks Josh

A mate of mine knows his agent and apparently Parker is considering an offer to go and play in Thailand. 
  • Options
    Thanks Josh

A mate of mine knows his agent and apparently Parker is considering an offer to go and play in Thailand. 
    Good. I hope he gets himself fixed up with a lucrative contract for a few years.
  • Options
    Looking at it positively, by joining us he was able to play at Wembley in front of 76000 in a massive televised match. Apart from the glory (and medal) it's a nice showcase for the player too
  • Options
    Had his best two games when it mattered most. 
    Had his best two games when it mattered most. 

Nicely put. That's also how I choose to remember him too.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Good to see him still @ Wycombe

Deserves a shot at the Championship after the last two years
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With Schwartz gone there’s a space in the squad. Parker is back.
  • Options
    Josh added workrate up top when we needed it. 
  • Options
    Scored more goals at The Valley than quite a few Charlton players too ;) 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Scored more goals at The Valley than quite a few Charlton players too ;) 

I saw him score 3 at the valley ?

1 for Gillingham and 2 goals for Charlton U23 (overaged player) when I sat close to the dug out when I was watching and hearing Jason's coaching advice.
  • Options
    Happy about that - it'll be interesting to hear about his experience being in the playoff winning side 
  • Options
    Anti-vaxxer conspiracy nut 
  • Options
    Had a pretty good game at Wembley too. 
  • Options
    Anti-vaxxer conspiracy nut 
    Oh really.😕
  • Options
    Not exactly a Charlton legend, though he will add useful insights into Burton, his last club

I'm surprised he's still a free agent, surely he could find a L2 or NL club, even with his lack of goals - his last league goals were for Gillingham in 2018/19 before he joined us in January!