Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France

As a part of the Tour is to come to the UK soon do Lifers have a view of the Tour as an event.

Biggest and most exciting street sport in the world that I can't wait to see

OR

Drug fuelled, over hyped, traffic jamming waste of time involving French people that should stay in France.

Comments

• Options
    Henry I would be hounded as a raicst if I said the latter.

However it spawned one of the most inspirational stories of all time in Lance Armstrong.

Other than that though I couldn't give a rats arse
  • Options
    I love watching it on TV and am gutted that i can't get to see it live next month.

Has to be one of the greatest endurance sporting events out there.

Some of those hills are knackering to drive up, let alone cycle.
  • Options
    Agree about it being a great endurance race and a major sporting event but just don't get why it's over here. It's the Tour of FRANCE.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]As a part of the Tour is to come to the UK soon do Lifers have a view of the Tour as an event.

Biggest and most exciting street sport in the world that I can't wait to see

OR

Drug fuelled, over hyped, traffic jamming waste of time involving French people that should stay in France.

Wouldn't go quite that far (except for the French bit obviously) but as it appears to be running through Dartford Town Centre I'll probably go along, just to say that I was there.
  • Options
    Can't wait, going to the prolouge, and looking forward to Stage one going through my patch.

Might also mean a few more cyclist on the road, which is always a good thing
  • Options
    its going up/down bloody East Hill which is 1 min from my house.

Thats me stuck indoors on the Sunday.
  • Options
    No interest in it all.However it turns out that while I am on holiday in Southern France somewhere at the end of July coincides with Stage 18 passing through it.Apparently a major event locally and a party atmosphere.So I would imagine getting involved somewhat, i.e.getting drunk (no dancing though).
  • Options
    Driving down to Tonbridge for the only real climbing stage.

Bit pointless standing waiting for 2 hours and then they zoom past you in 15 seconds!
  • Options
    It's undoubtedly a major sporting event but having excitedly camped out to watch the Milk Race (the British poor mans version of the Tour de France) a few years back and made the mistake of blinking it does seem Much Ado About Nothing in that if you see the riders for 10 seconds you are doing well!

I have to say that like others I don't understand why stages of the Tour de France are taking place in England. Maybe a cycling fan like Rothko or Salad can tell us.
  • Options
    Takes place in other countries on a regular basis, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Spain have all held stages in the past, and we the UK has before in the early 90's

It's good for business if nothing else
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Takes place in other countries on a regular basis, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Spain have all held stages in the past, and we the UK has before in the early 90's

Might as well scrap say 10 of the French stages and have 2 stages in each of those countries and just call it the Tour de Europe.
  • Options
    Do these French cyclists have to stop at red lights, or like 'our chaps' take no interest in road regulations ?

:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Do these French cyclists have to stop at red lights, or like 'our chaps' take no interest in road regulations ?

:-)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Takes place in other countries on a regular basis, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Spain have all held stages in the past, and we the UK has before in the early 90's

Might as well scrap say 10 of the French stages and have 2 stages in each of those countries and just call it the Tour de Europe.

2 or 3 stages would be held out of France, the rest is punishing hell up the mountains in France
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]2 or 3 stages would be held out of France, the rest is punishing hell up the mountains in France
    easy on the way down though. ;-)
  • Options
    You reckon?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]You reckon?
    don't need to pedal!!

I used to ride so much (i didnt learn to ride a bike till i was 14!!) but since i got back from uni and got a job i think i can count the number of times i've been on bike on one hand.

shame, enjoyed it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Thats me stuck indoors on the Sunday.

Me too, it's going along the end of my road so I'm going nowhere unless I walk.

I think it's cool though - not much worth mentioning goes on in Northfleet, unless its criminal, so it should be fun.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]

I think it's cool though - not much worth mentioning goes on in Northfleet, unless its criminal, so it should be fun.
    Shouldnt you be calling where you live Ebsfleet?? Northfleet will cease to exist soon wont it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]

Shouldnt you be calling where you live Ebsfleet?? Northfleet will cease to exist soon wont it?

GRRRRR, I live in Northfleet - which is really nothing to shout about I know - but it's really getting on my nerves this Ebbsfleet rubbish. No matter what gloss they put on it, it's still Northfleet and always will be!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]GRRRRR, I live in Northfleet - which is really nothing to shout about I know - but it's really getting on my nerves this Ebbsfleet rubbish. No matter what gloss they put on it, it's still Northfleet and always will be!
    I know what you mean, it's like Henry trying to rename the South Stand all of the time.
  • Options

Not forgetting Ireland also. It started there in 199?. The 2 stages in England were in connection with the opening of the channel tunnel. The first stage was from Dover to Brighton via Tunbridge Wellsn I believe, and the second from Brighton to Portsmouth.

No it wasn't, I've just checked my souvenir ornance survey map and the 2nd stage was a kind of tour de Hampshire from Portsmouth to Portsmouth.

It was the 6th and 7th of July 1994. But not the start of that year's tour.
  • Options
    There was a stage in Devon in 1974 as well.

One of the world's biggest sporting events passing the end of my road? Bring it on, I say.
  • Options
    not much worth mentioning goes on in Northfleet, unless its criminal

How many bikes will only have one wheel left when they leave?
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6764077.stm

Sounds like the perfect place to hold a cycle race!!
  • Options
    Gutted - me and my boy were going to come up and have a gander at the Tour de France but the missus is having none of it now after the shenanigans of Hyamarket and Glasgow.
  • Options
    Bloody nuisance. Down in the sticks we have weeks of amatuer lycra clad twats riding the route culminating last Sunday and the ten mile trip to Tenterden taking 40 minutes. The idiots were riding six abreast and generally acting with no respect for other road users.
  • Options
    We have enough trouble on our roads without this nonsense cluttering it up.

Locals in the Medway towns have already started nicking the Tour De France Road signs, says it all about the chav area we live in.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Brilliant if only they could redirect them to the Stanhope estate in Ashford, it would be more interesting than the race to see how many make it out in one piece
  • Options
    The latter Henry.