Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luton v Portsmouth 29/1/19

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Pompey now lost 3 of their last 5 matches, they look very catchable

Make that 4 out of their last 6, indeed they've lost their last 3 matches Luton, Blackpool and Oxford
    Pompey just 3 points ahead of us.

Indeed before our 2-1 win at Pompey, they were 11 points ahead of us.
    Back then everyone had been saying Pompey were certs for the title, and only a question of who would finish 2nd.

Just goes to show how quickly things can change.
    Despite their lead and good form, Luton are long way yet from being home and dry.

All to play for.
    Pompey distracted by their cup run.
  • Options
    1-1 draw between Bolton and Reading, both still in the bottom 3. Millwall 5 points clear at the moment
  • Options

United FT 2-2

Looks like Fergie time is still a thing.
  • Options

United FT 2-2

Looks like Fergie time is still a thing.
    Saw him in the stands biting his nails when they were down 2-1
  • Options
    And pompey have a replay in the cup as well.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Sunderland are playing Saturday, Tuesday, Friday the week after next.

They will be shagged out hopefully we can take advantage of that.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, 3 of Barnsley's next 4 games at home - to Scunthorpe, Wycombe and Burton. That could be 3 wins quite easily.
  • Options

Just need Grant to stay now and top two is ours

#WIOTOS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just need Grant to stay now and top two is ours

Did he do his medical yet with Huddersfield yet? it's getting down to the wire only two days in the window left.
  • Options

Unfortunately, 3 of Barnsley's next 4 games at home - to Scunthorpe, Wycombe and Burton. That could be 3 wins quite easily.

I fancy Wycombe to get a result there tbh
  • Options
    Pompey are bottling it big time, thought at the start of the season the favourites for autos were Barnsley and Sunderland and I think that's what looks most likely. Be amazed if Luton don't have a bad run
  • Options

Really? Why?
  • Options

So do I.

A 3-0 defeat.
  • Options
    Doncaster's next two games are against Pompey & Posh.
  • Options

Really? Why?
    Because I think they are a decent side capable of getting a result up there.
  • Options

Man city players sitting on field heads between legs kissing their asses goodbye.after losing to lowly Newcastle.

Mike Ashley needs a mirror to see his. Sports Indirect.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Doncaster's next two games are against Pompey & Posh.

I'd forgotten about Doncaster.

They've got 2 games in hand, thanks to their Cup matches - and well capable of beating both Pompey and Posh. It again means teams around us drop points.

In truth, we need only worry about our results.
    If we do the business it's very much in our own hands.

• Options

Difficult to asses which, if any, result will be best for us .. let's hope that they knock lumps off one another and have a few sent off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table

Luton win was always the best result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Portsmouth v Barnsley - 23 February.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Oggy Red said:

Portsmouth v Barnsley - 23 February.

After losing against Luton, that was the start of their remaining games against teams at the top.

As you’ve said they have Barnsley at home 23rd February.

They also have to play:
    Doncaster at home this coming Saturday.
    Charlton away 9th March.
    Peterborough at home 30th March.
    Sunderland away 27th April.

If they fail to get more than say, 5/6 points from those 5 games, I think Portsmouth’s season will have imploded.

We only have to play Doncaster away, and Portsmouth and Luton at home out the top 7 teams who seem to be the ones fighting for those potential promotion positions.

It really is in our hands, and we must focus on ourselves but I think it does show that we must expect some regular twists and turns.

NB. The same applies to a Doncaster who still have to play the remaining top 6 as well as Blackpool who are only 3 points behind them.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    You can see the path to the automatics opening up for us but we need another striker in. And a decent one at that.
  • Options
    all the permutations in the world when offered a 88th min penalty it needs to be converted we also need our other striker to keep his discipline, we are on a good run with clean sheets and overall defensive performance, 1 game at a time and we can get autos, luton i still expect to fall away - as did shrewsbury last year, pompey and sunderland are starting to get fixture pile up those saying about games in hand look at port vale a couple of seasons ago they had 3 games in hand around all the relegation spot clubs and couldn't get the 3 points required to stay up.

we face pompey and luton at home and that is it no other clubs in the current top 6 towards the end of the season we have games against most of the bottom 4.

i think Barnsley are autos and dont see why the other spot cant be us currently the transfer window is about to shut and we do not know if we are losing one of our strikers and doesnt seem like anyone coming in - fun times as per usual with roland ducuntalet at the helm, ferrity looking fuck
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    From all the top 5 clubs we have scored the least and let in the most , admittedly there’s not much in it but we have to improve at both ends if we want the automatic spot
  • Options
    Taggart was good last night.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Pompey are bottling it big time, thought at the start of the season the favourites for autos were Barnsley and Sunderland and I think that's what looks most likely. Be amazed if Luton don't have a bad run

Luton, unfortunately, are showing no signs whatsoever of having a "bad run" - they have the strongest overall squad in the Division, are unbeaten in 17 League games (and only conceded 9 goals on that run) and are also undefeated at home all season.

Their remaining games are:

Charlton (4th) - A
    Doncaster (7th) - H
    Blackpool (8th) - H
    Wycombe (9th) - H

Fleetwood (10th) - A
    Coventry (11th) - H
    Burton (13th) - A
    Accrington (15th) - A
    Plymouth (17th) - A

Gillingham (18th) -H
    Shrewsbury (19th) - A
    Oxford (20th) -H
    Bradford (21st) - A
    Rochdale (22nd) -H
    Bristol Rovers (23rd) - A
    Wimbledon (24th) -H

So they have all of the bottom 8 and only us of the top 6 still to play. Bet every one of their rivals would like to be in that position.

That leaves us, Barnsley, Portsmouth and Sunderland fighting for the one automatic place and of those Barnsley, unbeaten in 9, are the form side.

So, for me, it's Luton and Barnsley to occupy the top two slots. Hopefully we can carry on the momentum into the play offs because the form team going into those, more times than not, are successful.

• Options
    Long way to go, they could potentially lose all of those away games.
  • Options

Luton, unfortunately, are showing no signs whatsoever of having a "bad run" - they have the strongest overall squad in the Division, are unbeaten in 17 League games (and only conceded 9 goals on that run) and are also undefeated at home all season.

Their remaining games are:

Charlton (4th) - A
    Doncaster (7th) - H
    Blackpool (8th) - H
    Wycombe (9th) - H

Fleetwood (10th) - A
    Coventry (11th) - H
    Burton (13th) - A
    Accrington (15th) - A
    Plymouth (17th) - A

Gillingham (18th) -H
    Shrewsbury (19th) - A
    Oxford (20th) -H
    Bradford (21st) - A
    Rochdale (22nd) -H
    Bristol Rovers (23rd) - A
    Wimbledon (24th) -H

So they have all of the bottom 8 and only us of the top 6 still to play. Bet every one of their rivals would like to be in that position.

That leaves us, Barnsley, Portsmouth and Sunderland fighting for the one automatic place and of those Barnsley, unbeaten in 9, are the form side.

So, for me, it's Luton and Barnsley to occupy the top two slots. Hopefully we can carry on the momentum into the play offs because the form team going into those, more times than not, are successful.

On the flipside that could be a very difficult run, a lot of those teams will be fighting for league one status so won't give up easily. Depending on when other teams player top6 sides it could be an easier game, say for instance a side like Sunderland secure play offs and know they are just out of reach of the autos they will be planning ahead compared to an Oxford side who would need the 3 points.

Haven't looked at all the run ins but one thing for certain about this league is that no win is certain and if they don't have a drop in form that would be incredible
    Redhenry said:

Long way to go, they could potentially lose all of those away games.

I hear all that you both say and it is possible that they will implode but they show no signs whatsoever of doing so. They are the best team in the division given their form (unbeaten in 17 and only let in 9 goals in that time) and strength of their squad - Danny Hilton (47 goals in 89 starts), for example, has been suspended for the last 3 games but they have still managed to win all three against Peterboro', Southend and Portsmouth - with Collins scoring 5 in that time. They also strengthened their squad even further this week with the signing of George Moncur who came off the bench and scored the winner last might.

By contrast, we have Taylor missing and Grant going so who is going to step up and score those goals in the same way as Collins and Moncur did? Aribo has 5 in the League and I believe the next top scorer has just 2.

Our best hope, I believe, will be the play offs and winning those games by the odd goal. Sadly I just don't see that we have either the same form or depth of squad of either Luton or for that matter Barnsley.