Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*Done Deal - Left Back Ben Purrington on loan from Rotherham*

Comments

• Options
    rananegra said:

Was he recalled from Wimbledon just to be loaned to us or was he headed back anyway?
    Be nice to have a left back playing left back

Presumably, he just drove across London rather than via Rotherham
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I don't think Stevenson is ready either but it is good that he got a few games and I'm sure he will be ready soon enough. In the meantime, if Bowyer likes this lad, it is good enough for me. He has shown that his and his team's judgement is very good on these matters.

If he is tall, it might help us with set pieces. I like a tall full back - I know -let's re-introduce the Charlton Life height test. I am a bit fearful I may have started it by explaining why I favoured Francis above Solly a few years back!
  • Options
    So how did he do today?
  • Options

So how did he do today?

Purrfect performance, Large.

• Options
    Bowyer on him:

He said: “I think Ben was solid, exactly what I got told. He’s going to be a seven (out of 10) every game. He gives us stability down the left which we’ve been missing so much.

“He competed, he was up and down. He was very good and he’s only trained a couple of days with the team, he’ll get used to them even more and the way we play.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    After a slow start average I would say but to be fair he only signed on Thursday so not much time to get to know team mates or system of play therefore too early to form an opinion. Natural left footer which gives the proper balance. Thought he could have done better in the air at the far stick with a header which Phillips saved with his foot to keep out a cert goal early doors Otherwise nothing special but did ok.
  • Options
    pretty sold debut, didn’t look nervous or out of place at all.

I like the cut of his gib.

• Options
    Another smart Gallen signing I feel. Wasn't great today but he was chucked in and I am sure he will only get better.
  • Options
    Exactly the type of signing we needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Scoham said:

Bowyer on him:

He said: “I think Ben was solid, exactly what I got told

Does Bowyer see any of these players , I wonder what input he has or is it all down to Gallen .
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Scoham said:

Bowyer on him:

He said: “I think Ben was solid, exactly what I got told

Does Bowyer see any of these players , I wonder what input he has or is it all down to Gallen .
    He watched Williams when our U23s played away at Palace and will have seen Purrington at the Valley. I think along with JJ they sit down decide where they need to strengthen or have cover, possible realistic targets and let Gallen take it from there. Bowyer then enters the discussions with the player and convinces them to sign. which definitely swayed Cullen and I'm sure Williams as Bowyer as an England Internstional midfielder will be ideal to learn from.
  • Options
    Page was a big influence in the signing of Josh Cullen. They are close friends ;
  • Options
    He doesn't seem a particularly attack minded overlapping type FB but with the diamond shape giving other teams space out wide a full back who stays back to provide defense from wide attacks is no bad thing. If Bowyer is right about him bring a consistent 7/10 then he's going to be fine for what we need.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Page was a big influence in the signing of Josh Cullen. They are close friends ;

Not disputing that but pretty sure it was reported that Cullen was delighted to be working under Bowyer which played a major part in him signing, specifically relating to oohaa's question.

Edit: Here you go https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/josh-cullen-on-learning-under-charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-where-his-future-lies-and-why-addicks-need-to-respond-to-criticism/
  • Options
    Bowyer spoke to Rotherham assistant boss Richie Barker before signing Purrington.

“He spoke very highly of him – everybody we spoke to was the same about him,” said Bowyer. “He was very solid.

“He ain’t going to be Jay Dasilva and go past four – but we don’t want him for that. With Pearcey out we want stability down that side and he did very well on Saturday. He defended the back post well and was comfortable in possession, he doesn’t really give the ball away.

“You need to take into account he only had two days of training with the lads, that’s not very much.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-unsure-on-return-date-for-defender/
  • Options
    Sage said:

Fun fact. Our two left backs, Page and Purrington, share the exact same birthday.

20th May 1996.

Christ, that makes me feel old and I'm only 28!
  • Options
    Sage said:

Fun fact. Our two left backs, Page and Purrington, share the exact same birthday.

20th May 1996.

8 years to the day younger than I...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Sage said:

20th May 1996.

So when are you going to change your username to Dazzler30 .....? :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dazzler21 said:

Sage said:

20th May 1996.

So when are you going to change your username to Dazzler30 .....? :smile:

T'was never an age thing... #jonatanjohansson
  • Options
    About when I graduated from uni. Young people eh?
  • Options
    Youth is wasted on the young.
  • Options
    Purrington said he doesn't feel he's that gifted but gets on and does his job.

I thought he would feel he's the Cats whiskers so hope he doesn't get into a flap when we play the top dogs.
  • Options
    They asked him to play right back and he said 'me ow?'
  • Options
    Appearing next year in panto.
  • Options
    His Defending is 8.5/10, his attacking play is 5/10 - I imagine that is why people get annoyed with him. Personally I think he is excellent