Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*Done Deal - Left Back Ben Purrington on loan from Rotherham*

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:
    If Page gets up to full fitness would people want Purrington dropped? 
    Won't be an issue this season.
    He's due to play an u23 game tomorrow so can't be miles off. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    A fully match fit Page, yes.

Not going to happen this season so unlikely to start. May play a part in a couple though in say a three at the back situation.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Purrington obviously gets the rest of the season no matter what
    I agree but some seem to really not like him, think a few would swap given the chance.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    We've got four games left so I'd be pretty stunned to see LB starting him. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    I hope we've only got four left.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Or given his injury history any other season. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Four or seven is okay but not six!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Four or seven is okay but not six!
    Page can share the champagne at Wembley (or after the Rochdale game) but realistically Purrington is unlikely to be dropped when you consider the run we're on, and how tight our defence has been. It's hard to imagine Bowyer wanting to change things with a more attacking FB option at this late stage of the season.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Yes, just for the one game :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Purrington is a terrific defender and does his little bit going forward .. I hope we sign him permanently .. Page is decent, but it'd be Purrington for me every time  (and Purry has the priceless asset of staying fit and healthy)
  • Options
    Purrington is a terrific defender and does his little bit going forward .. I hope we sign him permanently .. Page is decent, but it'd be Purrington for me every time  (and Purry has the priceless asset of staying fit and healthy)
    They would definitely give each other good competition if Purrington signed on a perm deal. They both offer different aspects to the role and might improve each others flaws.

Liked what I have seen of Purrington though. Always room for improvement of course!   
  • Options
    Echo keeping Purrington in, bring Page on if we still have a shot at top 2 and need a bit more threat down the wings - he's good option to have but Purrington's defensive abilities against the better sides in the play-offs will be important.
  • Options
    I'd be happy to sign him if we are still in L1

Not so sure if we go up though, someone not considered good enough for Rotherham is a bit concerning
  • Options

Not so sure if we go up though, someone not considered good enough for Rotherham is a bit concerning
    Rather go by whether he's performed for us.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Indeed. Simon Francis (for Bournemouth from us) and Yann (for us, from Leicester) come to mind.

Anyway, anyone who's casting aspersions on Purrington seems to be wilfully ignoring that we haven't conceded more than one goal in a game in which he's played; we've now won four on the bounce; and our defence has a much better shape.

Is he the next Roberto Carlos? Obviously not. But we're in League One and he's helping the team do what can only be described as the business right now.
    I did say I'd be happy to sign him if we are in L1 next season, just not convinced he can step up both from the Rotherham experience and what I've seen

Francis had a decent career before joining us, he even had England youth caps. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Indeed. Simon Francis (for Bournemouth from us) and Yann (for us, from Leicester) come to mind.

Anyway, anyone who's casting aspersions on Purrington seems to be wilfully ignoring that we haven't conceded more than one goal in a game in which he's played; we've now won four on the bounce; and our defence has a much better shape.

Is he the next Roberto Carlos? Obviously not. But we're in League One and he's helping the team do what can only be described as the business right now.
    I did say I'd be happy to sign him if we are in L1 next season, just not convinced he can step up both from the Rotherham experience and what I've seen

Our fans completely wrote Francis off so I wouldn't say they were the best judge of players.

I'm not really sure why there is such a focus on Purrington. We've had left backs in the past who were supposedly far better players yet we were shipping a lot more goals.

He may not be the best left back around but I think he's a lot better than a lot of our fans give him credit for.
  • Options
    Lewis Page has had about 2 hours of looking vaguely like a footballer in all his time at Charlton.  Talk of him providing competition for Purrington's place this season is arrant nonsense.  Leaving aside his competency and fragility, there is only today's U23 game, in which he could possibly get any match practice.  The U23 season finishes today.
    Heaven forbid BP breaks down before the end of May but if he did, Solly and Stephenson would be miles ahead of Page in the running for the left back slot.  If LP even makes the bench then Charlton's squad would suddenly be critically short of bodies.  Ain't happening.
    LP's best advised to keep working on his core fitness and strength, with August his target.  He's not the worst left back we've seen at the Valley but unless he can get into condition to remain available for more than 11 games a season that's never gonna matter.
    Good luck LP, see you in August.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2019
     I have to say that in most games I dont really notice him, and as a defender thats probably a good thing in that he's doing his job, he's obviously no Johnny H but hes reliable, safe and doesnt give away stupid fouls.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Our fans completely wrote Francis off so I wouldn't say they were the best judge of players.

I'm not really sure why there is such a focus on Purrington. We've had left backs in the past who were supposedly far better players yet we were shipping a lot more goals.

He may not be the best left back around but I think he's a lot better than a lot of our fans give him credit for.
    So you have never got any judging of a player wrong? Not all fans can be like Steve Gallen ffs! We have had hundreds of players under Roland alone, you can’t get them all right and that statement is idiotic. Francis was written off because he was pony for us, end of. 
  • Options
    He’s exceedingly ordinary but that’s been good enough so far.  He reminds me of Neil Heaney (different position, I know)- a solid job, nothing more, nothing less.

I know it’s pie in the sky, but I wish we’d had Jay Dasilva this season; he’d have been awesome in this system
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PaddyP17 said:

And how silly will you look when he changes his name by deed poll?

wmcf123 says, he's ordinary - capable in defence, against Portsmouth I thought he got a bit of a roasting in the first half but that was the worst I've seen him play, and not overly effective in attack - but we've conceded hardly any goals with him there so that's good enough for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PaddyP17 said:

And how silly will you look when he changes his name by deed poll?

wmcf123 says, he's ordinary - capable in defence, against Portsmouth I thought he got a bit of a roasting in the first half but that was the worst I've seen him play, and not overly effective in attack - but we've conceded hardly any goals with him there so that's good enough for me.
    That fact is so often overlooked by football fans. And when it isn't they say, well it is the other defenders. Sorry, but I don't buy it one little bit. He has slotted into the defence brilliantly and the goals conceded speaks for itself. A manager will look at an area that needs improving and decide what it needs improving with within what can be afforded and Bowyer has done a great job with Purrington. And he even told us what he expected from him when he brought him in, which is what he has given us.

I do know it from first hand from my coaching an U18 team, even though at a far lower level of course. A lot of the same principles apply at all levels - a scorer is still a scorer and a misser is still a misser for example. Earlier in the season we were conceding a lot of soft goals against certain teams which I identified as not having enough pace in one of the centre half positions. I saw it as the weak link in the chain that would still be there when we changed formation with extra defensive cover. It is different, but I asked the lads to find out if there may be any QUICK players available they know who can kick a football, but doesn't have to be the best player out there. That was not going to be an option mid-season in terms of finding a player who was not with a club already.

As a result we got a lad join us who can run 100 meters in 11 plus seconds. Simply we stopped conceding those goals as soon as he started and started beating the sort of teams that were beating us comfortably early doors. But still I had a parent say to me - I have been a bit disapointed in X since he came in. What has been a bonus is he has been improving a lot in terms of his football ability, but I brought him in for his pace and it did the job I wanted it to. 
  • Options
    I would add that playing next to an in form Sarr and with Bielik and/or Cullen protecting has helped him.

He's poor going forward. Think he's put in two decent crosses in his time with us. Agree that he's solid defensively, but like Page, he is prime to losing a back-post header. 

Arguably our weakest link at the moment, but that is more down to the strength of our team than anything. I think moving Solly to the left and bringing in Dijksteel, who is really growing into that RB role, is an option if Purrington has issues. I think we're unlikely to see much of Page this season. But again, I think Purrington will do for now. 
  • Options
    The Charlton Life curse strikes ... Purrington taken ill and is replaced by Solly 
  • Options
    Ok, today should hopefully shut up those questioning Purrington at least.
  • Options
    In terms of performance, I think he’s known as a ‘solid sid’ which I guess is better than a sloppy Joe.

Big miss for us today.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

So you have never got any judging of a player wrong? Not all fans can be like Steve Gallen ffs! We have had hundreds of players under Roland alone, you can’t get them all right and that statement is idiotic. Francis was written off because he was pony for us, end of. 
    I didn't think Francis was anywhere near as bad as some of our fans made out. The relentless heckling of him by some of our 'fans' destroyed his confidence - hopefully it makes these sad inadequates happy.