Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prison Life

Comments

• Options
    Netflix - ‘Norway - The perfect prison?’ S3E4

Worth a watch. In fact the whole 3 series are an eye opener. No matter what the conditions, you are still in prison. You are still away from everything you care about or if that’s not an issue, you have a very limited freedom. There are lots of wrongs in society and if the last stop for a lot of these people is prison and it can be improved then it’s a great idea.
  • Options
    It ultimately depends what you want to achieve with your prisons - do you want to lower reoffending or just try to please the 'hang 'em, flog 'em' brigade who are only concerned with punishment.

If we can cut reoffending that has to be a good thing?
  • Options

OK, I'll probably get pelters for this. I went to prison for 14 days once (I know, no biggie). It was terrifying. If I had had to stay there for months or years I don't think I would have managed and would probably have ended up yet another suicide statistic, like so many others. if you seriously think prison is so cushy how do you explain the massively disproportionate level of suicides, self harm and psychiatric problems?

I can tell you it is nightmarish, frightening and boring by turns with little or no respite. Locked up for several hours (at least) every day, usually with someone you would do your best to avoid on the out.

Were you guilty?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

has anyone on here been in prison would be interested to know if the items listed above are given out and how good it is inside.

My mrs is a probation officer, she visits regularly and obviously know lots of inmates.... the 'easy life' line is outdated, 2 days ago the news was telling us about a suicide in woodhill.... I doubt he did that because of too much playstation
    1 suicide all be it sad although i will hold my judgement until i know what crime it was, on social media there is a LOT of videos of inmates with phones, drugs, takeaway meals, tellys, xbox. i dont envy those that work in the sector paid pittance to do with some of these vile shits.

the ross kemp docu on barlinney ( the big hoose ) the lads featured on that offended because they think they are gangsters looked up one of the people featured he is back inside for armed robbery, the other older chap featured believed that abused children enjoyed it - i would have no qualms dispatching of someone like that, he said he is ill and will re-offend was serving his 4th sentence for child abuse.

99.99% of sex offeners have been abused themselves

fabricated statistic
    ok its slightly out for effect, but most have been abused... took me 10 seconds to google just now and read that upto 80% of juevenille sex offenders had been abused.
    40%-80% is correct.

Hense the 'upto' bit. Im sure those numbers are still much higher than people would presume... picking apart my points doesnt change the fact that a huge % of offenders are victims too.

Yes, I saw the 'upto' bit but added some factual clarity to the figures being presented as it would have been just as unclear if someone had said 'over 40%'.

Wasn't picking your post apart at all so feel free to put your paranoia away.

Hold on, forgot that we're only allowed to repeat made up info, opinions picked up down the pub or the upper figure of a range told to us by our partners.

Anyway, so long as you're sure.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

has anyone on here been in prison would be interested to know if the items listed above are given out and how good it is inside.

My mrs is a probation officer, she visits regularly and obviously know lots of inmates.... the 'easy life' line is outdated, 2 days ago the news was telling us about a suicide in woodhill.... I doubt he did that because of too much playstation
    1 suicide all be it sad although i will hold my judgement until i know what crime it was, on social media there is a LOT of videos of inmates with phones, drugs, takeaway meals, tellys, xbox. i dont envy those that work in the sector paid pittance to do with some of these vile shits.

the ross kemp docu on barlinney ( the big hoose ) the lads featured on that offended because they think they are gangsters looked up one of the people featured he is back inside for armed robbery, the other older chap featured believed that abused children enjoyed it - i would have no qualms dispatching of someone like that, he said he is ill and will re-offend was serving his 4th sentence for child abuse.

fabricated statistic
    ok its slightly out for effect, but most have been abused... took me 10 seconds to google just now and read that upto 80% of juevenille sex offenders had been abused.
    Now it's UPTO 80% More backtracking than Jim White!
  • Options

It ultimately depends what you want to achieve with your prisons - do you want to lower reoffending or just try to please the 'hang 'em, flog 'em' brigade who are only concerned with punishment.

Fair post, but I come back to an earlier post of mine.

If somebody's loved one was harmed most people would want the bar steward hurt, at least.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    80% of juvenile sex offenders... That's quite different to 99.99% of sex offenders (of all age), isn't it?
  • Options
    Something I've always wondered about being inside and sharing a cell is what if one of you snore like a train?

@AddickUpNorth can you request to be moved if your cellmate keeps you up all night?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    80% of juvenile sex offenders... That's quite different to 99.99% of sex offenders (of all age), isn't it?
    lol yep just a big a difference as everyone that thinks all prisoners are scumbags that desrve what they get. Are you going to contribute anything or just question me ?
  • Options

Something I've always wondered about being inside and sharing a cell is what if one of you snore like a train?

@AddickUpNorth can you request to be moved if your cellmate keeps you up all night?

He would have to be fit!
  • Options
    Depends on the primary purpose of prison is-----punishment----or correction to not re offend?

At the moment seems to be in a nowhere place---- not really a punishment and not stopping reoffending

Nothing wrong with having library's in prison
  • Options
    Sounds like some people on here have had some rubbish holidays
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

yep, death, cancer and stabbings.... guess who starts therapy today for my mental health issues *waves hand
  • Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    lol yep just a big a difference as everyone that thinks all prisoners are scumbags that desrve what they get. Are you going to contribute anything or just question me ?
    Haha relax. Just thought the '99.99% having been abused' part sounded like an excuse for the sex crimers.
  • Options

Not sure about the bars but the cushy life has been going on for years. The company I used to own had contracts in most of the big UK prisons and you would be amazed what goes on.

Three meals a day
    Games Rooms
    Craft Centers
    Well stocked Library's
    Well equipped gyms
    All of them have Mosques
    42" TV's
    Sky
    Play-stations
    Plenty of drugs getting in as the screws would rather the inmates be high and content.

Doncaster prison even had a room off of the visiting center where couples were allowed to have sex. This really blew me away when I visited

Was going to comment but well beaten to it :wink: by Davemehmet
  • Options

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    Haha relax. Just thought the '99.99% having been abused' part sounded like an excuse for the sex crimers.
    yes im making excuses for people that have sex with children
  • Options
    shine166 said:

McBobbin said:

yep, death, cancer and stabbings.... guess who starts therapy today for my mental health issues *waves hand
    Sorry to hear that but maybe you should take a step back from this thread for a while if that is the case.

No doubt someone will be to running to the grass thread any minute now.

Good luck with the therapy.
  • Options

If one of you snores like a train and it’s the snoring that keeps you up all night, a drone will be organised to drop in anti-snoring inserts, or a pillow will be used.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    40%-80% is correct.

Hense the 'upto' bit. Im sure those numbers are still much higher than people would presume... picking apart my points doesnt change the fact that a huge % of offenders are victims too.

Yes, I saw the 'upto' bit but added some factual clarity to the figures being presented as it would have been just as unclear if someone had said 'over 40%'.

Hold on, forgot that we're only allowed to repeat made up info, opinions picked up down the pub or the upper figure of a range told to us by our partners.

not just you so you can hide your parranoia too ..over 40% is fine, just no need to be a pedantic cunt
    'paranoia'

Glad that 'over 40%' is fine as it paints a different picture to '99.99%' and 'upto 80%'.

I've just bought one of these to not only hide it, but to lock it away. Do you think it'll be big enough?:

I feel like the hinges are on the wrong side and its really bothering me.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    40%-80% is correct.

not just you so you can hide your parranoia too ..over 40% is fine, just no need to be a pedantic cunt
    'paranoia'

Glad that 'over 40%' is fine as it paints a different picture to '99.99%' and 'upto 80%'.

I've just bought one of these to not only hide it, but to lock it away. Do you think it'll be big enough?:

Id be happy if you dropped it on your head

sure does, makes it sound like people abuse kids out of choice
  • Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    40%-80% is correct.

'paranoia'

What a lovely individual you are. Posts half facts and then gets abusive when it's pointed out.

I thought Devon was supposed to mellow people out.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Kieran Stapleton is a cold blooded killer.
    He went up to student Anuj Bidve and shot him in the head. The killer then stated he could do the sentence standing on his head.
    He would get 3 meals a day and could watch Coronation Street. I thought at the time in 2011 this was a throw away arrogant line. Unfortunately despite attacking a Chaplin he has been rewarded with art classes and has painted a large mural of the rovers return on the walls of Stangeways.

Why has this happened ?

So yet again the only suffering is by the family of the innocent victim who have the life sentence.
  • Options

If somebody's loved one was harmed most people would want the bar steward hurt, at least.
    I wouldn't want someone hurt - don't want to get down to their level.

If someone is dangerous my main concern is to get them off the street.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Just had a quick count up and I know 12 blokes well, who I'd call friends and not just acquaintances (more if I included acquaintances), who have spent time in adult prisons and 4 of my very good mates from childhood were locked up in Dover Young Offenders for a while when we were kids. To my knowledge, none have re-offended since being released. Theres a couple who have probably gone a bit close to the edge, but none have been involved in the same skulduggery that they were when they went there.

Whether this study is correct or not, imo prisons aren't only there to stop people reoffending, they're there as a punishment and a balance needs to be drawn. We could go a couple of steps further and close prisons and try and sweeten up offenders in their own homes to convince them not commit crimes again, whether it worked or not ain't the point, where's the punishment?
  • Options

I wouldn't want someone hurt - don't want to get down to their level.

If someone is dangerous my main concern is to get them off the street.
    Two wrongs do not make a right, so I accept what you are saying.

Put it another way, if you saw the culprit walking down the street after they served their sentence it would be very hard not to seek retribution.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    40%-80% is correct.

'paranoia'

What a lovely individual you are. Posts half facts and then gets abusive when it's pointed out.

I thought Devon was supposed to mellow people out.
    Gets pissy with me and screams abuse when I return it lol grade A gammon, youl be flagging me next.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

OK, I'll probably get pelters for this. I went to prison for 14 days once (I know, no biggie). It was terrifying. If I had had to stay there for months or years I don't think I would have managed and would probably have ended up yet another suicide statistic, like so many others. if you seriously think prison is so cushy how do you explain the massively disproportionate level of suicides, self harm and psychiatric problems?

I can tell you it is nightmarish, frightening and boring by turns with little or no respite. Locked up for several hours (at least) every day, usually with someone you would do your best to avoid on the out.

Were you guilty?
    Yup.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Prison should be a place where you dread going.If you do get banged up,you should have such a bad time that you wont want to go back.Many young criminals consider a stint inside to be a badge of honour,which in their warped little minds commands respect among their peers.Violent crime is going up all the time,bang these scumbags away for 30 years in squalid and basic conditions,once their mates see a few of them dealt with like this they wont be so keen to offend.I spent many years of my working life in Spitalfields fruit market and got to know many ex cons.The stories they told about life inside would make any of the wannabee gangsters of today run for the hills.I am not saying bring back the birch or 6 months bread and water,but a soft life inside is no deterrant.

With Bertie(Billy)Smith), Dennis Russel and Billy Wilson no doubt?
    Not that any of them were criminals I might add.