Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prison Life

Comments

• Options

Not sure about the bars but the cushy life has been going on for years. The company I used to own had contracts in most of the big UK prisons and you would be amazed what goes on.

Three meals a day
    Games Rooms
    Craft Centers
    Well stocked Library's
    Well equipped gyms
    All of them have Mosques
    42" TV's
    Sky
    Play-stations
    Plenty of drugs getting in as the screws would rather the inmates be high and content.

Doncaster prison even had a room off of the visiting center where couples were allowed to have sex. This really blew me away when I visited

Three meals a day? Really, what is wrong with this?

Well stocked Libraries? Again, what is wrong with that?

All of them have mosques? Why not, they have a variety of Christian churches too (often the same space). Dog whistle stuff.

Some of the other stuff depends on the category of prison, not all prisoners have access to these. And there are arguments for and against some of them.

The drugs are a huge problem but not legal.

Lots of things wrong with our penal system but food, books and prayer ain't the issue.

And yes, I have spent time in prison (for work, not as a resident).
    that's for another thread...
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Would you prefer that they do reoffend?

Erm,no,obviously not but its a prison. Theyre not in there for being shining lights of the community. We have a massive problem with homelessness,often people who have served their country,i think the money being provided by the taxpayer to make wrong'uns lives better in prison could be better used to get people off the streets.
    So why don’t we try to reduce the reoffending rate, which is astronomical, and then spend the money we’ll save on dealing with the consequences of crime on the homeless?
    Im all for that. My point in all this is that its a prison. Not a holiday camp. Prisoners can be educated and encouraged to not reoffend without so many home comforts surely? There is a limit.
  • Options
    The well known one near Woolwich according to one of my family, (works there), isn't too cushy. I'm told it is running alive with vermin (the four legged variety), is dirty, stinks, badly maintained, violent, under staffed, over crowded, food is vile, prisoners high on spice who regularly OD, prisoners with mental issues, to name but a few.
    I don't think it works as a deterrent, may be its time we should try a different long term strategy. It might save the country some money as that's probably the real aim long term and it might make the country a better place, (the last bit is probably stretching it a tad).
  • Options
    Treating inmates like trash has hardly worked in the states !
  • Options
    I am all for the treatment of prisoners hoping they do not reoffend and come out better people.

However, if somebody was in there due to an offence against a loved one I would think my views on the treatment of the prisoner would be very different.

• Options
    has anyone on here been in prison would be interested to know if the items listed above are given out and how good it is inside.
  • Options

Prison should be a place where you dread going.If you do get banged up,you should have such a bad time that you wont want to go back.Many young criminals consider a stint inside to be a badge of honour,which in their warped little minds commands respect among their peers.Violent crime is going up all the time,bang these scumbags away for 30 years in squalid and basic conditions,once their mates see a few of them dealt with like this they wont be so keen to offend.I spent many years of my working life in Spitalfields fruit market and got to know many ex cons.The stories they told about life inside would make any of the wannabee gangsters of today run for the hills.I am not saying bring back the birch or 6 months bread and water,but a soft life inside is no deterrant.

This is an old theory that has been proven wrong. Deterrence as a concept doesn't work. The US has tough, unpleasant prisons and their re-arrest rate from federal prisons is nearly half. That's bad for society, bad for the public purse and it's not even doing the criminals any good as they're not getting any better, which has to be the aim
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

has anyone on here been in prison would be interested to know if the items listed above are given out and how good it is inside.

My mrs is a probation officer, she visits regularly and obviously know lots of inmates.... the 'easy life' line is outdated, 2 days ago the news was telling us about a suicide in woodhill.... I doubt he did that because of too much playstation
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    shine166 said:

My mrs is a probation officer, she visits regularly and obviously know lots of inmates.... the 'easy life' line is outdated, 2 days ago the news was telling us about a suicide in woodhill.... I doubt he did that because of too much playstation
    1 suicide all be it sad although i will hold my judgement until i know what crime it was, on social media there is a LOT of videos of inmates with phones, drugs, takeaway meals, tellys, xbox. i dont envy those that work in the sector paid pittance to do with some of these vile shits.

the ross kemp docu on barlinney ( the big hoose ) the lads featured on that offended because they think they are gangsters looked up one of the people featured he is back inside for armed robbery, the other older chap featured believed that abused children enjoyed it - i would have no qualms dispatching of someone like that, he said he is ill and will re-offend was serving his 4th sentence for child abuse.

i do believe that the attitudes towards each other has changed, people that say we have more prisons now - the population has risen and will continue rising the more people the more dregs of society will feature, regarding foreign born prisoners i believe do away with the sentencing here and all should be removed and never allowed to return families or not, hand them over to the country of births government and let them deal with them.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Not sure about the bars but the cushy life has been going on for years. The company I used to own had contracts in most of the big UK prisons and you would be amazed what goes on.

Three meals a day
    Games Rooms
    Craft Centers
    Well stocked Library's
    Well equipped gyms
    All of them have Mosques
    42" TV's
    Sky
    Play-stations
    Plenty of drugs getting in as the screws would rather the inmates be high and content.

Doncaster prison even had a room off of the visiting center where couples were allowed to have sex. This really blew me away when I visited

Blimey, that's a better standard of living than I've got.

How can I get in?

Better standard than most Oggy, especially the elderly.
    @Oggy Red is getting on but he's not that old :wink:
  • Options

shine166 said:

1 suicide all be it sad although i will hold my judgement until i know what crime it was, on social media there is a LOT of videos of inmates with phones, drugs, takeaway meals, tellys, xbox. i dont envy those that work in the sector paid pittance to do with some of these vile shits.

the ross kemp docu on barlinney ( the big hoose ) the lads featured on that offended because they think they are gangsters looked up one of the people featured he is back inside for armed robbery, the other older chap featured believed that abused children enjoyed it - i would have no qualms dispatching of someone like that, he said he is ill and will re-offend was serving his 4th sentence for child abuse.

99.99% of sex offeners have been abused themselves

• Options

Prison should be a place where you dread going.If you do get banged up,you should have such a bad time that you wont want to go back.Many young criminals consider a stint inside to be a badge of honour,which in their warped little minds commands respect among their peers.Violent crime is going up all the time,bang these scumbags away for 30 years in squalid and basic conditions,once their mates see a few of them dealt with like this they wont be so keen to offend.I spent many years of my working life in Spitalfields fruit market and got to know many ex cons.The stories they told about life inside would make any of the wannabee gangsters of today run for the hills.I am not saying bring back the birch or 6 months bread and water,but a soft life inside is no deterrant.

This is an old theory that has been proven wrong. Deterrence as a concept doesn't work. The US has tough, unpleasant prisons and their re-arrest rate from federal prisons is nearly half. That's bad for society, bad for the public purse and it's not even doing the criminals any good as they're not getting any better, which has to be the aim
    Prisons are doing well though! The market has spoken
  • Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Really? Surprising if true. 99.99% means almost everyone...
  • Options

shine166 said:

i do believe that the attitudes towards each other has changed, people that say we have more prisons now - the population has risen and will continue rising the more people the more dregs of society will feature, regarding foreign born prisoners i believe do away with the sentencing here and all should be removed and never allowed to return families or not, hand them over to the country of births government and let them deal with them.
    Agree 100% with the final part of your post.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Yes... nearly all sex offenders have been abused themselves, Im not sure why its hard to believe.... not many people wake up and decide to fuck children.

Most people are only a sacking or family promlem away from homelessness though and therefore instantly being a criminal, unfortunalty you cant plan for tradegy.
  • Options

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

and your point is?

i doubt the grooming gang in rotherham were abused themselves they saw it as a means of making money and preying on what they perceived as lower class trash, vile cunts

of course this is just 1 of numerous examples that prove it is not an illness it is an act of savagery that im ashamed goes on.

education is my point.

or you can just ignore it and stop communicating with offenders, its not just going to stop because a few nonces got offed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

yes... nearly all sex offenders have been abused themselves
    Where did you get this stat? It's hard to believe really.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
  • Options
    Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    ok its slightly out for effect, but most have been abused... took me 10 seconds to google just now and read that upto 80% of juevenille sex offenders had been abused.
  • Options

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

yes... nearly all sex offenders have been abused themselves
    Where did you get this stat? It's hard to believe really.

my probation officer GF

• Options

OK, I'll probably get pelters for this. I went to prison for 14 days once (I know, no biggie). It was terrifying. If I had had to stay there for months or years I don't think I would have managed and would probably have ended up yet another suicide statistic, like so many others. if you seriously think prison is so cushy how do you explain the massively disproportionate level of suicides, self harm and psychiatric problems?

No you cant be right, personal experience dont count... youre only allowed to repeat made up info and opinions picked up down the pub.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    ok its slightly out for effect, but most have been abused... took me 10 seconds to google just now and read that upto 80% of juevenille sex offenders had been abused.
    40%-80% is correct.

• Options

shine166 said:

Croydon said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

fabricated statistic
    40%-80% is correct.

Hense the 'upto' bit. Im sure those numbers are still much higher than people would presume... picking apart my points doesnt change the fact that a huge % of offenders are victims too.