Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*Chris Maxwell (goalie) signs on loan deal*

Comments

• Options
    cafc4life said:

Great signing

Said Phillips
  • Options
    If he starts straight away then its fair to say that Phillips will be off.

Personally didnt feel to confident with Dillon between the sticks, he needed another loan spell I think. If Maxwell does start I hope he does well in any case!
  • Options
    So 2 out, 2 in. Imagine budget about neutral. Will there be anything left for a LB/striker? I suspect not unless a takeover goes through.

Welcome Maxwell.
  • Options
    I hope he can play up-front when Taylor gets injured on Feb 2nd.

If I was Phillips I'd be telling LB where to stick it. Very badly treated imo.
  • Options
    I’m sorry for Dillon who must be getting the message by now that LB doesn’t fancy him enough to leave him in the side for a prolonged period. It’s complicated though by the fact that Maynard Brewer is nowhere near ready so we have no cover, ergo the need to loan in an experienced keeper to give us back up and presumably the terms of the loan agreement state that he has to play if fit. Dillon is therefore a bit of a victim of circumstance here yet again. I’ve actually seen enough in the last couple of games to be happy to continue with Dillon but the back up situation seals the deal I’m afraid. Rock and a hard place.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Welcome Chris. I’d assume that given his quite dramatic fall from favour at PNE its well on the cards that this lad could easily become our first permanent gk signing for a while when the season ends. Assuming he does well that is.
  • Options
    A good signing in my view.

Maybe Dillon will leave now and we get another number 2?

Ryan Giggs may attend a game at the Valley now.

We have two players he could be interested in Maxwell and Williams.
  • Options
    Are we permitted to sign a permanent keeper?

I think the last one was Stephen Henderson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019

very unfair on Dillon Phillips who has done well every time he has played this season with an average mark of 6.55, only 0.02 behind Steer. How can the lad get better if he is not given a chance, surely there is another goalie out there who could sit on the bench. If Philllips is confined to the bench I expect he will leave in the summer which will be the 3rd good goalkeeper that we will have lost - Elliott, Pope and now Phillips

in Bowyer and Gallen I do not trust on this occasion

I would suggest that a lot of the high marks for Dillon are as a result of the 'one of our own' factor .. I was impressed with Dillon on Saturday, whereas my previous experiences of comparing Steer with Phillips in games that I've attended have convinced me that Steer is the better and more reliable keeper
  • Options
    Welcome to Maxwell. Hope he does well.

Just don't buy a Pension from him, or go sailing with him.
  • Options
    Did we sign him from Preston or Thames Valley Royals?
  • Options

---

@RyloHe punches a lot”

Never been a fan of that, but good luck to him. Welcome, Chris.

As do the vast majority of average looking professional footballers.

Not a fan myself either mate but it's just jealousy.
    You’re absolutely right mate. Apologies to Mr Maxwell, I lost myself for a moment back there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

very unfair on Dillon Phillips who has done well every time he has played this season with an average mark of 6.55, only 0.02 behind Steer. How can the lad get better if he is not given a chance, surely there is another goalie out there who could sit on the bench. If Philllips is confined to the bench I expect he will leave in the summer which will be the 3rd good goalkeeper that we will have lost - Elliott, Pope and now Phillips

Dillons ok but he has played less than 20 league games for us. His lack of experience is too big a risk for us at this time, unfortunately.
    I'm never been clear of the argument of not playing players because they lack experience - the only way to get experience is to play. Steer and Amos were both poor and rusty when they joined us and got better the more they played - Steer was certainly not up to the standard of Amos.

LB doesn't rate Phillips so Dillon is better off leaving.
  • Options
    I get it 100% that distribution is a key aspect of keepers' performance these days - Steer's assist for Ward vs Brizzle all the evidence you need. I'd still rather have a top keeper - i.e. shotstopper and penalty-box commander - more than anything else. In that respect IMO Steer was OK, but not outstanding, and I hope Maxwell is better than OK. We'd take 98-05 Deano back in a heartbeat, and look how well Pope has done despite distribution being a clear weakness there.

As for Phillips, I wonder whether he, too, is only rated as 'OK' in shot-stopping, etc. by the management, i.e. not enough there to outweigh another keeper's better distribution. I think he can feel a bit hard done by, but let's see whether he gets another run before jumping to that conclusion.
  • Options
    You

Redhenry said:

Dillons ok but he has played less than 20 league games for us. His lack of experience is too big a risk for us at this time, unfortunately.
    I'm never been clear of the argument of not playing players because they lack experience - the only way to get experience is to play. Steer and Amos were both poor and rusty when they joined us and got better the more they played - Steer was certainly not up to the standard of Amos.

That’s just my point. Steer and Amos we’re rusty but had experience. I would play Dillon if we were mid table but we aren’t.
  • Options
    The views of Andy Marshall are probably the important factor in this.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Steer was certainly not up to the standard of Amos.
    Strongly dispute this. Amos did little wrong for us but Steer will have, by far, the superior career
  • Options
    Dillon has done fine against Wallsall and Sunderland. If Maxwell gets the shirt straight away it will be tough but that should be a decision between Bowyer and keeper coach.
    The comments that Phillips have been shit are crass and wrong.
    Maxwell may just have the X factor, or may be Ben Hamer on a bad day.
    We shall see.
  • Options

Make that 4 good goalkeepers we have lost - add Randolph to your list.
  • Options
    Another poor excuse for a beard.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

You

Redhenry said:

That’s just my point. Steer and Amos we’re rusty but had experience. I would play Dillon if we were mid table but we aren’t.
    Perhaps we shouldn't play any players who lack experience - anybody under the age of 25 or less than 300 appearances. As soon as we reach top 10 anybody lacking experience should be dropped.

I love the logic on here. If you're a keeper and don't have much experience we won't play you at Charlton.