Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*Chris Maxwell (goalie) signs on loan deal*

Comments

• Options
    Players like Gomez, Bowyer etc stood out
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

its not just down to lack of experience, his performances haven’t been of the quality to cement his place in the first eleven.

What a load of bollocks - he's done fine. Steer was poor for a number of games but LB stuck with him.

• Options

addick05 said:

Welcome to the madhouse! Seriously, hope he does well. Probably straight into the side for Shrewsbury, sympathy for young Dillon though.

Happy to have Dillon as No1 but given Maxwell's experience it seems likely he'll start. Dillon I'm sure will look to leave at the end of the season to develop his game.

addick05 said:

Welcome to the madhouse! Seriously, hope he does well. Probably straight into the side for Shrewsbury, sympathy for young Dillon though.

Happy to have Dillon as No1 but given Maxwell's experience it seems likely he'll start. Dillon I'm sure will look to leave at the end of the season to develop his game.
    And if he does leave (and of course as will Maxwell) that will leave us with no first team keeper?
  • Options
    LB clearly doesn't rate Dillon - that much is clear. He'll be off in the summer
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Like Pope, never good enough for us, but.......
  • Options
    Rudd, Amos and Steer, and their clubs, have all benefitted from these loan deals. We haven't. We're stuck in L1 with our goalie lacking experience due to these loans, and about to leave as soon as possible.
  • Options

Rudd, Amos and Steer, and their clubs, have all benefitted from these loan deals. We haven't. We're stuck in L1 with our goalie lacking experience due to these loans, and about to leave as soon as possible.

Should have kept Pope, he turned out OK
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    addick05 said:

addick05 said:

addick05 said:

And if he does leave (and of course as will Maxwell) that will leave us with no first team keeper?
    We'll then sign 2 new keepers in the summer. It's not as if we've exactly struggled to bring in keepers in recent years
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Swisdom said:

Like Pope, never good enough for us, but.......
    Pope was the established first team keeper when he left. If Burnley hadn't come in for him, I'm sure he would have stayed with us.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Redhenry said:

its not just down to lack of experience, his performances haven’t been of the quality to cement his place in the first eleven.

What a load of bollocks - he's done fine. Steer was poor for a number of games but LB stuck with him.

Steady. Didn't say he hadn't
  • Options
    edited January 2019

We haven't benefited from having 3 good goalies ?
    I'm sorry, but that's untrue.
    The reason we are in L1 has nothing to do with those 3.
    100%. The keepers have been good for us, especially Amos. If it wasn’t for him, I doubt we would have even got play-offs in the end last season, at times he won us games with the saves he made.

I like Phillips and think he will have a good career in the football league. He’s a good shot stopper. However, for a team looking to get promotion and even if it is going to be a real challenge, we are after automatic promotion, we need a good goal keeper with proper experience. If Maxwell is better than Phillips and will help us play the way Bowyer wants us to play more than Phillips can, so be it. That’s the nature of game. The position of a keeper is unique, it’s tough for Phillips but we also have to do what is best for us right now to try and get promotion.
  • Options
    Welcome Chris, and good luck.

Slightly concerns me that he's being kept out at Preston by Rudd as I didn't think Rudd was that special when we had him, although he was probably solid enough. Amos came with a luke warm reputation though and he was mustard so who knows. May the bnest man of Maxwell and Phillips win out as first choice goalie.
  • Options
    Sage said:

100%. The keepers have been good for us, especially Amos. If it wasn’t for him, I doubt we would have even got play-offs in the end last season, at times he won us games with the saves he made.

I like Phillips and think he will have a good career in the football league. He’s a good shot stopper. However, for a team looking to get promotion and even if it is going to be a real challenge, we are after automatic promotion, we need a good goal keeper with proper experience. If Maxwell is better than Phillips and will help us play the way Bowyer wants us to play more than Phillips can, so be it. That’s the nature of game. The position of a keeper is unique, it’s tough for Phillips but we also have to do what is best for us right now to try and get promotion.
    Maxwell will be rusty as he hasn't played regularly - every loan keeper has taken time to get up to speed. It's unlikely he's going to settle in straight away.

No real point us having our own keepers if we won't play them as they'll never get experience and then everyone will argue they're not experienced enough.

I hope Phillips gets a chance at another club - he needs game time.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

very unfair on Dillon Phillips who has done well every time he has played this season with an average mark of 6.55, only 0.02 behind Steer. How can the lad get better if he is not given a chance, surely there is another goalie out there who could sit on the bench. If Philllips is confined to the bench I expect he will leave in the summer which will be the 3rd good goalkeeper that we will have lost - Elliott, Pope and now Phillips

in Bowyer and Gallen I do not trust on this occasion

I cannot believe that Charlton fans are happy to risk staying in L1 in order to play a second choice goalie.
    Phillips is a decent goalie and if LB wants to play him that's fine by me.

However, Slade, Robinson and Bowyer see/saw Phillips most days in training and if they all assess Phillips as not quite up to scratch, then that tells me that all 3 probably are not wrong.

I wish Phillips all the best, but I believe a manager should play his strongest team.
    I fail to understand why any Charlton supporter would wish to weaken our team and lessen our promotion prospects, simply because a player came through our Academy and will improve if he we play him in the first team.

Many of our Academy players would get better if given a chance in the first team, but that is the thought process of RD and is not one I adhere to.
    Play them if they are up to your required standard.
    What I can't understand is why is Dillon Phillips the hill on which everyone is willing to die. We've had countless youngsters impatiently written off after 1 or 2 appearances, Karlan being a prime example, but all of a sudden Phillips must be given special treatment. No one is advocating dropping Bilek so Lapslie can play, or wanted Morgan playing instead of Cullen (when his shoulder was still where it's supposed to be). We all like seeing academy graduates come through, but it's always tough for keepers as there is only one spot in the team.

Besides, Dillon hasn't actually been dropped yet. Bowyer has said in the past - if Phillips plays well he will keep his place. He was dropped after a couple of errors, maybe harshly, but after errors nonetheless. He's played very well in the last two games, imho, and been praised by Bowyer so I expect him to start on Saturday and continue in goal until Bowyer is given reason to drop him as happened with Steer. If Maxwell comes straight in, maybe the context of the discussion changes vbut for now a lot of people are getting a bee in their bonnet about something that hasn't even happened yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

very unfair on Dillon Phillips who has done well every time he has played this season with an average mark of 6.55, only 0.02 behind Steer. How can the lad get better if he is not given a chance, surely there is another goalie out there who could sit on the bench. If Philllips is confined to the bench I expect he will leave in the summer which will be the 3rd good goalkeeper that we will have lost - Elliott, Pope and now Phillips

I cannot believe that Charlton fans are happy to risk staying in L1 in order to play a second choice goalie.

However, Slade, Robinson and Bowyer see/saw Phillips most days in training and if they all assess Phillips as not quite up to scratch, then that tells me that all 3 probably are not wrong.

I wish Phillips all the best, but I believe a manager should play his strongest team.
    I fail to understand why any Charlton supporter would wish to weaken our team and lessen our promotion prospects, simply because a player came through our Academy and will improve if he we play him in the first team.

Many of our Academy players would get better if given a chance in the first team, but that is the thought process of RD and is not one I adhere to.
    What I can't understand is why is Dillon Phillips the hill on which everyone is willing to die. We've had countless youngsters impatiently written off after 1 or 2 appearances, Karlan being a prime example, but all of a sudden Phillips must be given special treatment. No one is advocating dropping Bilek so Lapslie can play, or wanted Morgan playing instead of Cullen (when his shoulder was still where it's supposed to be). We all like seeing academy graduates come through, but it's always tough for keepers as there is only one spot in the team.

Besides, Dillon hasn't actually been dropped yet. Bowyer has said in the past - if Phillips plays well he will keep his place. He was dropped after a couple of errors, maybe harshly, but after errors nonetheless. He's played very well in the last two games, imho, and been praised by Bowyer so I expect him to start on Saturday and continue in goal until Bowyer is given reason to drop him as happened with Steer. If Maxwell comes straight in, maybe the context of the discussion changes vbut for now a lot of people are getting a bee in their bonnet about something that hasn't even happened yet.
    I suppose after Steer we're just expecting Dillon to be benched. I don't think LB rates Dillon.

It would be nice to have a permanent keeper rather than a stream of loan signings.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

I bloody love the set up of Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen. The signings they’ve made have been considered and very ‘charlton’ of old.
    Really hope these three are here to stay for years to come.

They won't be if RD remains....
  • Options

I would call promotion a benefit. So what are the benefits of the loanee goalie club policy?
  • Options

I suppose after Steer we're just expecting Dillon to be benched. I don't think LB rates Dillon.

It would be nice to have a permanent keeper rather than a stream of loan signings.
    But that's just it - he wasn't benched as soon as Steer came in, Phillips started 4 league games while Steer stayed on the bench. He was benched when he failed to demonstrate the level of performance Bowyer wanted. Steer didn't set the world on fire initially, but he didn't make the mistakes Phillips did either and by the end of it, I think most people feel Steer was slightly the better keeper. Bowyer sees areas for Phillips to improve - as you would hope he does with all our players because none of them are perfect - and after the Wallsall games he was careful to highlight that Phillips was doing things better, that he'd been listening to what Bowyer wants and was working on it. I think Phillips two best games of the season have been his last two, and if he keeps that up I genuinely don't think Bowyer will drop him. Bowyer just wants to win football matches and get promoted and he's going to put out the best team he can to do that - that is is his job, after all.
  • Options

But that's just it - he wasn't benched as soon as Steer came in, Phillips started 4 league games while Steer stayed on the bench. He was benched when he failed to demonstrate the level of performance Bowyer wanted. Steer didn't set the world on fire initially, but he didn't make the mistakes Phillips did either and by the end of it, I think most people feel Steer was slightly the better keeper. Bowyer sees areas for Phillips to improve - as you would hope he does with all our players because none of them are perfect - and after the Wallsall games he was careful to highlight that Phillips was doing things better, that he'd been listening to what Bowyer wants and was working on it. I think Phillips two best games of the season have been his last two, and if he keeps that up I genuinely don't think Bowyer will drop him. Bowyer just wants to win football matches and get promoted and he's going to put out the best team he can to do that - that is is his job, after all.
    Steer was slightly the better keeper, well that's worth it then.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I would call promotion a benefit. So what are the benefits of the loanee goalie club policy?
    I would also call promotion a benefit.
    I'm not saying I prefer a loan goalie to our own goalie.
    I'm saying the benefit of those three goalies were they were all good goalies and prevented lots of goals, which is exactly what you want.

Amos was on a substantial wage which we wouldn't have been able to afford if he was our player.
    I think the same may be true of Rudd and Steer.
  • Options

But we are still in League One. If we’d played Dillon a couple of seasons ago he’d now have the experience that most think he is lacking and we’d still be in League One.

Not sure that’s what you meant Large but for some reason that made me laugh

• Options
    edited January 2019

But we are still in League One. If we’d played Dillon a couple of seasons ago he’d now have the experience that most think he is lacking and we’d still be in League One.

Not sure that’s what you meant Large but for some reason that made me laugh

Ditto.
    So what Large is saying, is don't try and improve the team with better loan players.
    Play inferior Charlton players, because you can't guarantee promotion.

So let's send back Maxwell, Williams, Cullen, Bielik (any others I can't immediately recall) and play 4 Academy players, as they'll have more experience in a couple of seasons.

Brilliant plan if you want to get us relegated !

I didn't realise Roland posted on here, as that was his policy. KAG (as was) springs to mind. :smile: