Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sunderland | Sat 05 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

124»

Comments

• Options
    At the risk of repeating myself:

I'm not holding out much optimism for today.

If we can get through to the final whistle without any more injuries or suspensions, and preferably without Taylor and Grant looking so exhausted they look like they'd sleep for a couple of months, I'd consider that a minor result.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Sunderland usually play 4-2-3-1 with the three behind the main striker all capable of playing in all of the positions, out wide or behind the front man, expect a lot of rotation which could make it hard for Bielik to pick up the players making the runs and getting between the lines. They have of course lost a bit of bite in midfield with Cattermole suspended so that should help our young midfield a little more. Whether Maja plays or not, we won’t know, but if he does he looks to run in behind and play off the shoulder of the last man, Sarr would probably be the one dealing with him as he a little quicker than Bauer. Sunderland play a lot down the wings and often get in a tonne of crosses per game. With their three behind the striker and someone like Oviedo pushing forward, whoever is at full back has a bigger role today stopping those crosses coming in.

However, it is the transition between these players attacking to be defending is where Sunderland have problems. This is where we can really hurt them, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us score a goal on the counter attack today. Defensively, they’re not actually as good as people may think, even with them only conceding 23 goals this season, the second best in the league. It’s the fact they have so much more possession than most other teams that has helped this specific stat stay lower.

For us I can see Solly coming in at left back and Dijksteel keeping his place at right back. Maybe he needs a rest and Solly should come back into the side in his natural position, but without us signing that left back we need, this is too big of a game for Stevenson right now. Whether we see Morgan start or not is something that Bowyer will have thought a lot about. With Reeves most likely out, Marshall could come in and deserve a chance to play. That could see us shift Dijksteel slightly inside and go back into a back 5 at times. But we are at home, so I think that would be more plan B than A. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Williams start, even with Bows saying he’ll be on the bench. Grant’s pace really hurt them back in August and I can see that happening again. Without the ball I think you’ll see Grant drop wide and Fosu drop out wide too, making it a 4-3-3 at times.

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Solly
    Bielik
    Pratley Morgan
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Maynard-Brewer, Stevenson, Clarke, Williams, Marshall, Hackett-Fairchild, Ajose

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Sunderland
    Taylor
    Fosu
  • Options
    Decided to take train today as am having a bit of a day out (escape game in deepest darkest Bermondsey after the match, then drinks)....

Gaggle of 8 sunderland fans at Norwich station..... don’t see any other Charlton.... I naturally went over to mention ‘98 :)
  • Options
    Solly was not very effective on the left at Coventry, he was backing off their attackers from the left wing and unable to stop crosses coming in, he really needs to be on the right.
  • Options

Bought ticket online for print at home - no email received... annoying...

By the time the ticket office opens tomorrow at 10am and I call the premium rate phone number, I will already be on the way to the valley

Bloody Roland

It's 03330 14 44 44 and hasn't been premium rate for a couple of seasons(ish).
    Ticket office opens 10am on Saturdays.
    You can scan your phone, if you can get tickets on your phone.
    That’s a great attempt at being an apologist for an atrociously broken system that is a symptom of poor management and ownership.

—— I know the number, and while it is standard rate from landlines, costs from mobiles vary and since they are forcing me to call while on my journey (they open at 10am and my train leaves at 10am), I must use my mobile.

I cant scan tickets on my phone as they haven’t emailed them - that’s the problem!

Additionally.... I was just on hold for 15 minutes (at whoever knows what rate) before getting cut off as we were passing through a rural area.... now I’m back at the start of the queue again

All this, when it should have been as easy as hitting the print button last night at home. Bloody ridiculous.

I could just about forgive it the first time it happened this season, but this is now the second time- and I don’t even go to every game.

Really poor service!
  • Options
    about to leave for the Valley

COYA
  • Options

By the time the ticket office opens tomorrow at 10am and I call the premium rate phone number, I will already be on the way to the valley

Bloody Roland

That’s a great attempt at being an apologist for an atrociously broken system that is a symptom of poor management and ownership.

—— I know the number, and while it is standard rate from landlines, costs from mobiles vary and since they are forcing me to call while on my journey (they open at 10am and my train leaves at 10am), I must use my mobile.

I cant scan tickets on my phone as they haven’t emailed them - that’s the problem!

Additionally.... I was just on hold for 15 minutes (at whoever knows what rate) before getting cut off as we were passing through a rural area.... now I’m back at the start of the queue again

All this, when it should have been as easy as hitting the print button last night at home. Bloody ridiculous.

I could just about forgive it the first time it happened this season, but this is now the second time- and I don’t even go to every game.

Really poor service!
    I quite agree, but feel somewhat miffed that you're having a pop at the one person who tried to offer you assistance.
  • Options

Bloody Roland

Really poor service!
    My head would explode if I had to do all that.
    In future if you want a ticket message me and I will get one for you. I work near the Valley so it's no prob.
  • Options
    Season tickets for the remaining games from just £150 apparently...just saying...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have to remember that these are two clubs that absolutely do NOT belong OUTSIDE the top two divisions of English football. Simples!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Today feels like a big match similar to the Blackburn match last season when we must get a result. I have longed for these big matches at The Valley, something very rare under Roland.

We should have nothing to fear today the pressure is on Sunderland to come and beat us. I expect us to win most home matches and today is no different. When Taylor and Grant are at their best we have the two best players in the league.

Hopefully, Morgan gets another game to show what he can do against one of the better teams in the league.

I do feel we are both on course for the play offs this season, especially ourselves who will find it difficult to catch Portsmouth or Luton
  • Options

Bloody Roland

Really poor service!
    Why didn't you just collect ?
    Since I gave up my season ticket as a protest 2 years ago I collect from behind North stand (average waiting time 30 seconds) after ordering on line.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    If we had our strongest squad all fit to choose from, and so did Sunderland, then I absolutely believe we would win this home game.
    But sadly our injuries have been dogging and sometimes devastating our season all along the way.
    Sunderland have only lost two matches all season, and the likelihood is that they have had to make adjustments from time to time.
    If we fall behind in this game then the chances are we will lose, and become more desperate as the minutes tick by and Marshall is thrown on to save us.
    A draw would be the prediction of a neutral, I hope that Sunderland have not come up against many as tricky as Fosu, as fast as Karlan or as downright irritating as Taylor, and we get an early penalty as we did up there. Take the lead we have a chance because we are good on the break, but we have to withstand their attacks which we may not be able to do, or do enough to get the ball upfield in the first place.
    This is a very tricky one, daunting actually.
    Maybe we will have a crap ref that pays off in our favour!
    Good to be playing Sunderland, many a memorable encounter over the years.
  • Options
    Very excited about today. More due to the hope of things to be announced next week rather than the football. Hopefully a new beginning at the valley.

Hoping for a bigger crowd. Decent atmosphere and for us to put up a fight.

Reckon Williams will start and bow saying he will be on the bench as simply mind games.
  • Options
    Today is all about the team and trying not to lose ground on the top 2.
    The inquest on the circus of the last 5 years is for before KO and after the match.
    Next week could be the catalyst for CAFC,
    Or just another false dawn.

I would take a draw and no injuries today, but the crowd must let the team know how much we care. Apathy mustn't prevail.

If your a boycotter, I hope you come back soon with the change of ownership.
    (Whenever !)
  • Options
    Not looked forward to a game this much in ages!
  • Options
    Loads of Sunderland fans in the Woolwich Equitable.