Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sunderland | Sat 05 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Lee Bowyer could hand a Charlton debut to Jonny Williams, who signed for the Addicks from Crystal Palace on Friday morning.

Ben Reeves is a doubt after injuring his hamstring against Walsall on Tuesday. Jason Pearce, Josh Cullen, Igor Vetokele, Lewis Page, George Lapslie and Jake Forster-Caskey remain sidelined.

Chris Solly is back from suspension but Jamie Ward has returned to his parent club Nottingham Forest.

For Sunderland, Lee Cattermole is suspended after collecting a tenth yellow card of the season on New Year’s Day. Midfielder George Honeyman is out with an ankle injury and Adam Matthews is a doubt with a calf problem.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c2f88734a886/match-preview-charlton-v-sunderland
  • Options
    Opening game of the season I was with a Newcastle fan in Turkey.
    We both went and watched Sunderland v Charlton in trotters bar in Marmarus. I believe he wanted us to win as much as I did.
    Just got a text from him simply saying hammer the bastards.
    Good bloke is Alan.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

It's slightly disappointing that the message board is no longer called A Love Supreme. Always thought that was complete class.

A love supreme
    John Mclaughlin and Carlos Santana. Two guitar greats,
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton.

Lyle Taylor Hat trick.

Automatic promotion hunt is back on course.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

It's slightly disappointing that the message board is no longer called A Love Supreme. Always thought that was complete class.

A love supreme
    John Mclaughlin and Carlos Santana. Two guitar greats,
    not forgetting John Coltrane
  • Options
    The bad news on the Maja agent business is that Maja has the same agent as Aribo. Let's hope we don't find ourselves in a similar situation
  • Options
    Very close call, hoping for 1-0, COYRS!
  • Options

Massive responsibility on Bielik to do his best in stopping supply into Maja and the centre halves then to control him.

Josh Maja was born in Lewisham and grew up in London. What the hell is wrong with our scouting system?
    Grew up in West london though and was signed to Fulham
    addick05 said:

Sunderland have lost only two games all season. We have an injury-hit squad. On our day though we are more than a match for any team in the league but I would settle for a point tomorrow. Anything more would be a real bonus.

Sunderland also have a depleted squad. Had both a 17 and 18 year old on their bench at Blackpool in their last game and now Cattermole is suspended (shock) as well.

Also although they don't lose many games, their form has taken a dip. Just 4 wins in their last 10 league and FA cup games. Including failing to beat Walsall 3 times who we just beat, and home draws with Wycombe and Shrewsbury.

I think this is a decent time to play them, before they can get new signings in this month.
    Sunderland haven't got cash to splash!
  • Options
    Strangely confident. 2-1 us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0.Grant and Taylor
  • Options
    Wish I could be more optimistic but I can’t see past a 0 - 2. Hope I’m wrong.
  • Options
    I'm a bit giddy from the promised exit of RD, so it's a 2-1 home win!
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I think we are going to get dicked!
    Fortunately, I am a bit of a div when it comes to predicting the Addicks!
  • Options
    I think we will see similar to the predicted line up in the OP but Marshall will get the nod ahead of Pratley and Solly will replace Stevenson. Williams has been playing reserve football all season and lack of options will mean he plays IMO.

I wouldn't mind seeing Djsteel playing in midfield - I don't think he is a right back, but he does have something.
  • Options
    2-1 to Charlton in a cracking atmosphere.
    A rehearsal for the play off final against them at Wembley.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I think the Williams signing may tip it our way in a tight game. He seems to have been injury free this season and he may not be Premier League, but he is most certainly not a League One player. He will add to a midfield that looked to be our main weakness with all the current injuries. This isn't a game for inexperienced kids. We got away with it against Walsall, but this is a different matter. The bench is going to look weak, but the starting eleven will be decent.
  • Options
    Very tough game just like the opener. Think they might just edge us in a tense game, 2-1 to Sunderland again.
  • Options
    I would go with Solly as RB (that's his position btw) and Stephenson at LB (That's HIS position also btw). I'd also play Williams from the start, with Beilik, Morgan & Fosu in midfield (or Marshall for Morgan if going with 2 natural wide men). Strikers as per.

But LB doesn't think like me & may possibly go with Solly & Dijikstel & also leave Williams on the bench (Which is also wrong imo).

However.....extremely confident tonight & going for a 2-1 win. Williams with the winner .
  • Options
    Bought ticket online for print at home - no email received... annoying...

By the time the ticket office opens tomorrow at 10am and I call the premium rate phone number, I will already be on the way to the valley

Bloody Roland
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019

Bought ticket online for print at home - no email received... annoying...

By the time the ticket office opens tomorrow at 10am and I call the premium rate phone number, I will already be on the way to the valley

Bloody Roland

It's 03330 14 44 44 and hasn't been premium rate for a couple of seasons(ish).
    Ticket office opens 10am on Saturdays.
    You can scan your phone, if you can get tickets on your phone.
  • Options

... Stephenson at LB (That's HIS position also btw).

Er, no ... his position is centre-back. He has only been filling in at LB because we are short of those but have a lot of CBs in the u23s.
  • Options
  • Options
    Or 0.0

• Options
    Philips always make me nervous and I am sure that Maja will score against us so reckon it will be 2-1 either way. In Grant and Taylor we trust.
  • Options
    Couldn’t see us beating them in 1998, feel the same today.
  • Options

Isnt Sunderland one of the othrr clubs that diesnt do IFollow?

Yup them and Accrington who we have next at the Valley

Isnt Sunderland one of the othrr clubs that diesnt do IFollow?

Yup them and Accrington who we have next at the Valley
    Bugger.
    For anyone that was going to watch on iFollow, the game should still be available through Sunderland’s website:

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video
  • Options
    We should protest about RD - always inspires the team and may be our last chance to show our gratitude for 5 years of hell (hopefully).
  • Options
    Hopeful for a narrow win but suspect a draw, if we play well we will at least draw can't afford a tepid performanance, promotion race is now on.
  • Options
    sm said:

We should protest about RD - always inspires the team and may be our last chance to show our gratitude for 5 years of hell (hopefully).

No we shouldn’t and no it doesn’t. Supporting the team is the only thing we should do if we want to inspire them and get all the home fans making some noise. There will be 3,000 away fans trying to inspire their team and they won’t be trying to divide their support or chanting negative shit