Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Coventry v Charlton | Boxing Day 2018

Comments

• Options
    Agree with SHG, at what point this season have we proven to be a first or second placed team in this poxy shit league? Too many key injuries, regular naff performances and sporadically naive management. Saying that we should be capable of a stab at the playoffs.

All in all a slow uninteresting Boxing day, "topped off" by an insipid Charlton bank holiday result. Onto the next one.
  • Options
    Guess that means Aribo won't be sold in the transfer window then
  • Options

Guess that means Aribo won't be sold in the transfer window then

Every cloud...

• Options
    wonder if the injury is being talked up
  • Options
    We are too inconsistent and thankfully so, are most of the sides in this division. I accept we have a long list of injuries and possibly Bowyer scored a bit of an own goal when he let his intentions be known to players like Ajose and Marshall that they were surplus to requirements. Neither of those players seem remotely interested in the games I've watched and possibly, arguably, they should have been competing for places in our side with more of a purpose. Ajose 2 seasons back scored a hat-full for Swindon and when we signed Marshall from Bradford, a lot of their fans said we'd signed a real player at this level. I can't help but think if we had those 2 on song, we'd be turning more results in our favour than we currently are.

That said, Bowyer has worked wonders under the tight and uninterested Belgian and whilst we have only lost twice in 9, it is so frustrating and almost undoes the efforts at places like Fratton Park. I expect they will go on and turn in a masterclass at Barnsley now.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

.........at the request of his suitors so he joins them without making the knock any worse before the transfer window opens 😯.
  • Options
    Fuck me not played two games !
  • Options
    Is he having a laugh, we've played 3 games in 11 days! That's hardly a packed schedule.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

.........at the request of his suitors so he joins them without making the knock any worse before the transfer window opens 😯.
    you cynic/realist you ((:>)
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

sam3110 said:

Crap performance, all looked leggy and lacklustre, Fosu back to his worst for us, never passing quickly and giving the ball away in dangerous positions, Pratley, despite the goal, looked pretty poor and wasn't a worthy replacement for Aribo. Need another player who can create things from a deeper position, Fosu and Reeves really let us down in that regard

This.

Should never have taken Bielik off. Chucking a kid on to help us hold the game is not going to help him develop.

Not just a kid, but a kid who lacks positional discipline and has not looked good in the middle two in a flat 4-4-2. Also, given the collision I'm a bit worried about his concussion.

A poor performance. We have tended to play to the level of our opposition, and I think at times moments have quality have meant it hasn't caught up to us. But today it did. We had a maybe 5-10 minute spell where we were decent, but apart from that, listless.

Pearce at fault for both goals for me. Fosu was poor. Pratley looks like a 20-year-old while Bielik continues to look like an experienced player. Only Bielik, Bauer, Steer, and Reeves were decent for me.

We need to get better at controlling games. Sometimes that means just knocking the ball around to relieve pressure, particularly away from home. We tend to drop off and invite teams on to us, and while that sometimes works in the form of a bend don't break defense, when teams have a quick and mobile attack as we saw today, they cause us problems when our CBs get turned.

If there is a bright side, it's that Coventry seem to be able to expose a lot of our weaknesses in a way other teams largely haven't.
  • Options
    Utter shite . I turned up , but 6 or 7 of ours didn't .
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    If we can make the play offs and get Cullen, Grant, Aribo, Lapslie, Clarke, Vetekeole, Ward and Page back and fit and fresh we will have a very decent chance.

Get to the Championship and RD will realise his best chance of getting his cash back is us in the PL and drop £100m more on transfers and wages as we cruise the division next season.
  • Options
    Disappointed with what sounds a poor performance but not going to go overboard. The odd under par result is to be expected, just feel for those who made the trip.

Real problem is that we’ve got another tough one Saturday and our fit squad is getting smaller by the day.
  • Options

If we can make the play offs and get Cullen, Grant, Aribo, Lapslie, Clarke, Vetekeole, Ward and Page back and fit and fresh we will have a very decent chance.

Get to the Championship and RD will realise his best chance of getting his cash back is us in the PL and drop £100m more on transfers and wages as we cruise the division next season.

Brandy snaps?
  • Options
    Seemed to us that the pitch played a part in this result. It looked OK from the stand, but when the back 5 tried their passing business the ball was bobbling quite a lot. They seem to ditch doing that part way through the first half, having to play longer balls which meant midfield couldn't control things as easily.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Frustrated by this result. Bowyer turned it round post Blackpool and we’ve just won 7 out of 8 so I wouldn’t put it past him to get us up and firing again. However, doing this without Aribo and now Lapslie will be a tall order. Barnsley unbeaten in 15 at home

These injuries are depressing me
  • Options
    For me the midfield simply failed today, Aribo brings so much to this side, Pratly and Lapslie are not replacements.

astonishing decision to take our only effective midfield off, hope he’s not hurt?

Coventry pressed us when they could and played wide, cheating really!

Inevitable they scored 2nd half.

A long drive for little return, but that’s Charlton for you!
  • Options
    At the game, think I'll stop going for a while because the last few times I've watched us in person we have looked woeful. Just didn't ride our luck today.

Same old cliche of they looked like the team fighting for promotion we looked like the mid table strugglers. Midfield was awful except Bielik who I thought looked like the best player on the pitch. Pratley is a fridge freezer, don't care if he scored if we had a better player we would get the ball moving quicker and get more chances. Reeves weren't bad when he was on, Fosu was crap. Less said about Ajose the better.

I don't know what else to say really. Certain players are more than good enough to be promotion contenders and could play at the level above (Taylor, Grant, Aribo etc) and certain players we could replace with non league and it wouldn't make a difference (Pratley, Ajose, Fosu(based on today's performance).

If we had a midfield 3 every game of Cullen, Aribo and Bielik I would say we would finish inside play offs with ten games to go, but we are too much of a patchwork team to make it that comfortable. I reckon anywhere between 4/6th is a very decent season for us sadly and then it's the lottery. Luton, Sunderland and Pompey look the obvious ones for autos.

I don't buy Aribo's injury either, when he got injured it didn't seem that bad, I reckon he is gone in January, hopefully I'm wrong.
  • Options
    At the game.
    Very poor flat performance.
    No player stood out and I wouldn’t give anyone more than a unremarkable 5.5 out of 10.
    Very disappointed in Reeves today.....after Saturday I was looking for another stand out playmaking performance.....instead he was inexplicably a shadow of the player we know he can be.
    Although Coventry were the better side overall, it wasn’t really by that much of a distance to have warranted a victory.
    On 90 minutes the board was put up for 5 minutes extra time. After about 1min 30 secs the injury to their player held up play for nigh on 10 minutes. But that should of course have had no bearing on the 3 + minutes remaining. On resumption of play he played for approximately a further minute. I and the other guys I was with were amazed he blew up for full time as there was clearly at least another 2 minutes or so to go and we were trying our damndest to throw the kitchen sink at them.....very disappointing piece of refereeing to be honest.
  • Options
    Reeves was pretty good and I was amazed when he came off tbh
  • Options

At the game.
    Very poor flat performance.
    No player stood out and I wouldn’t give anyone more than a unremarkable 5.5 out of 10.
    Very disappointed in Reeves today.....after Saturday I was looking for another stand out playmaking performance.....instead he was inexplicably a shadow of the player we know he can be.
    Although Coventry were the better side overall, it wasn’t really by that much of a distance to have warranted a victory.
    On 90 minutes the board was put up for 5 minutes extra time. After about 1min 30 secs the injury to their player held up play for nigh on 10 minutes. But that should of course have had no bearing on the 3 + minutes remaining. On resumption of play he played for approximately a further minute. I and the other guys I was with were amazed he blew up for full time as there was clearly at least another 2 minutes or so to go and we were trying our damndest to throw the kitchen sink at them.....very disappointing piece of refereeing to be honest.

Agree on the ref front, I felt the ref had a perfect game up until that point. Not saying that we would have got anything anyway but we must have only for 2 minutes or so of the 5, anything could have happened
  • Options
    PWR.
    Just got back.
    Pretty poor, we missed Aribo. No complaints about the result which means Coventry City have done the double over us.
    Coventry weren't cynical or rubbish, they were like a lot of the more honest teams in this division who work hard, maximise what they have, and there is always one or two who can hurt you.
    Worried about their player who was carried off, and also for young George with two successive head injuries. can't see him playing for a couple of weeks at the very least.
    Not much to say beyond a feeling of disappointment after the schlepp, and thinking we have to now win at Barnsley which is a big ask.
    The positives for us were the introduction of Marshall and to an extent Grant which improved our second half performance. I am actually not that sure that either of Ajose's feet actually touched the ball in the first half. Belik was probably our best player in a team that looked pretty fatigued.
    I wrote at half time about this, but we are having a series of away games, like Rochdale, Blackpool and now today where we were poor and to an extent not well prepared by the management.
    Thinking we have good players and that should be enough only gets you so far, opponents should still garner respect when regarding their style, strengths and weaknesses, and the quality of any individual players they have. Thinking that maybe man for man you're better without added extras is a recipe for failure in this league, we are not playing mug footballers and against mug clubs with mug managers.
    Yes today might have been a draw, a win even due to something or another, but it was Coventry who had the something, they who had the 'another' and they now have the three points.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Reeves was pretty good and I was amazed when he came off tbh

Bowyer said he altered the formation a bit ....... flattened the diamond to play 2 widemen, to counter the oppos exposing our fullbacks.
    Marshall is a strong runner, hard working, able to stretch play and cover his fullback.

You can see his thinking .... plus keeping Reeves more fresh for the next game in 3 days time.

It's a shame that Aribo was missing . And that Fosu on the other wing was so ineffective.