Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Walsall v Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Looking back at the highlights, we played very well and looked a great threat going forward.

Only thing I picked up on is one specific attack when Solly ventured forward, he passed to Taylor which was slightly over hit before going back to Fosu. But the pass to Vetokele was on and the right one to make, just into space and into his path, he would’ve run onto it and scored.
  • Options
    BR3red said:

Yo

Solidgone said:

2 x players out...I’m sure Roland will provide LB with financial support for a couple of loanees. It’s RD’s financial acumen and football knowledge that will enable the ream to march towards the promise land, securing the sale of the club at the beginning of the new year at a price that meets his estimation.

You have had a few then ? ;-)
    BR3red said:

Yo

Solidgone said:

2 x players out...I’m sure Roland will provide LB with financial support for a couple of loanees. It’s RD’s financial acumen and football knowledge that will enable the ream to march towards the promise land, securing the sale of the club at the beginning of the new year at a price that meets his estimation.

You have had a few then ? ;-)
    Apart from anything else, we could be taken over by Bill Gates and still wouldn't be able to being anyone in any new loanees until January!
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Get in. Another clean sheet? Is that 4 in 6?

3 in 5 league clean sheets for Steer. 2 goals conceeded in 4 games.
    Hopefully, everyone blaming Steer now realise they were mistaken :smile:
  • Options
    Amazing what consecutive victories can do especially within a few days. Gutted about Cullen though, I know quite a few Hammers that were majorly pissed off when he was loaned out.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Cafc43v3r said:

Dazzler21 said:

2 dislocated shoulders in one game? FFS REALLY?!

Sounds like Bryan Robson back in the day...
    Derek Ufton, surely.
    It's one of those injuries that once you've had one you become much more susceptible to getting more.

Didn't Chris Iwelumo have so many that he popped his arm back in himself mid game for us once and played on, or am I imagining that?
  • Options
    An excellent result but we've paid one hell of a price, as both Igor and Josh Cullen have dislocated their shoulders - injuries which are likely to keep them out for about 3 months.

Absolutely diabolical luck - https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/lee-bowyer-reveals-that-charlton-lost-two-players-to-dislocated-shoulders-during-win-at-walsall/
  • Options
    Like the comment about using the squad and perhaps deviating from diamond or Gobby's 4-3-2-1 which have made us predictable. Given Page absence like to see three at the back again. Not sure it failed noticeably in the past.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good result as we return to a position in the play offs, respect to the travelling hordes .
    The league is proper pony and we should finish top 6

Roland Out
  • Options
    There cannot be another side in world football with worse injury luck than us
  • Options
    Like Airman Brown, it takes my mind back to Derick Ufton. Particularly in that 7-6 Huddersfield game. I saw him when he first put his shoulder out, he was playing for Kent, up at Blackheath, he wasn't keeping wicket that day, but, I think fielding in the slips, and fell awkwardly. As Exiled Addick said, once you put your shoulder out, it then becomes more susceptible to it happening again. Lets hope Igor and Josh make a good recovery, we shall certainly miss them.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

At The Match

Well that was like chalk and cheese compared to my last game at Rochdale a proper away performance. This was no smash and grab but a workmanlike performance with plenty of effort and no shortage of skill as we imposed ourselves on the opposition.

A mild evening of 14*c greeted us travelling Addicks some of us from the North but most from the South I'd guess at 300ish. No pre match beer in the Saddler's club on this occasion though as it was closed so some made their way to the Park Inn next to the ground and paid hotel prices for their trouble.

The line up raised a few eyebrows with Taylor starting again, Grant rested for Vetokele, Fosu in for Ward, Sarr in at LB so Solly could revert to RB for the injured Djiksteel (hamstring) and Pratley in for Reeves (hamstring). Both the latter two replacements had very good games which won't please their detractors but credit needs to be given when it's due. I couldn't quite work out what the formation was because Fosu seemed to play quite high up on the left with Pratley right, Cullen and Aribo central so more 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 but not much of a diamond.

After the initial skirmishes by both sides we were definitely up for this Tuesday challenge and started to impose ourselves. Fosu was lively and was causing problems Lyle was well, just Lyle and after some pressure in their box Cullen? Fosu with some nifty footwork was up ended and a penalty given. Who's taking this methinks Taylor or Fosu and it was the former who had Bowyers backing. The keeper went the way of Taylor's previous misses and got it wrong as our number 9 smashed it into the opposite (left side) of the goal and then set off towards the bench to celebrate with his guvernor; 1-0 to the Londoners. We never sat back and the defence to a man especially Bielik were on their game well supported by Cullen and Pratley. Then the injury jinx struck again with Igor who was just getting into the game fell awkwardly as he was felled although the ref gave nothing but did eventually stop play as the Angolan lay prostrate on the ground. After five minutes treatment Igor was sretchered off and taken out of the stadium presumably to the ambulance on standby. Grant then entered the fray and had a great chance to make it two nil,with a powerful header but their keeper made a great save to tip the ball over. HT 1-0

Second half we carried on in the ascendancy and some of the challenges going in on our players were not pretty and one on Solly leaving him face down brought a verbal volley at the officials, quite justified IMO, from Bowyer which earnt him a yellow card. Prior to this we managed to get that all important second goal from a corner cleverly won by Taylor. Cullen delivered and it fell to Bielik (my mom) who didn't quite get hold of his first effort but didn't mess about when it can back to him drilling home with his left foot on the turn. Cullen then fell victim to the injury curse following a wholehearted challenge where he came off second best and again the ref gave nothing and felt he was feigning it by calling for the stretcher. Thankfully it was not needed as he got to his feet but was very groggy and had to be helped back to the changing room by the physios. Lapslie then came on and gave his usual 100% effort. Fosu was also withdrawn shortly afterwards and Marshall entered the proceedings and did ok with a few nice runs.

Walsall weren't going down without a fight literally and seemed intent on trying to maim as many of our players as possible. It was a sign of a team well beaten who were intent on leaving their mark on their victors. And well deserved victors we were, having played most of the football, mixing it when we had to. The injury situation is starting to grate and I'm sure Taylor was not meant to play the full 90 mins. Hopefully that has not worsened his condition and whether he got booked on purpose I know not but that will give him another week off to recover.

We came we saw we conquered but stuff the cup next week we can't afford any more injuries so put the U23s out and let's hope we can get some of the walking wounded back in contention for the league games. Up The Addicks!

Good win but jeez these injuries. If this carries on we might need Dillon Phillips outfield!
  • Options

When you are a Club that signs a high number of players with a history of injury (because they're cheap) as we have under Roland, you have to expect that you will get a higher percentage than other Clubs.
  • Options

When you are a Club that signs a high number of players with a history of injury (because they're cheap) as we have under Roland, you have to expect that you will get a higher percentage than other Clubs.
    Does Cullen have a history of injury? Wiki says he played 46 games for Bradford a couple of years ago. Did he get injured at Bolton last season as i see he didn't play that much?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Are you really out for 3 months with a dislocated shoulder ?? I thought it was pop it back in followed by a few weeks rest.

As for the game itself. I was out on a date last night & picked up a text from Golfie Jnr at 11pm as I got back to the car. Can't remember the last time we won a game in hand, away, on a tues night.....did Riga manage it ??

feeling much more positive now.....and not just because of the win...! 😊
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

Dazzler21 said:

Sounds like Bryan Robson back in the day...
    Derek Ufton, surely.
    It's one of those injuries that once you've had one you become much more susceptible to getting more.

Didn't Chris Iwelumo have so many that he popped his arm back in himself mid game for us once and played on, or am I imagining that?
    I thought that was Ricardo Fuller?
  • Options
    Enjoyed the game.
    Unusually, I never thought we would lose before or during the game.
    Pleasantly surprised not to concede as was expecting a typical nervy last ten but it didn't happen.
    A great team performance, Bowyer really growing into management and I hope he has many years ahead with us as stability is the key to our resurrection.
    Observations.
    1. We will be in the play offs again this year.
    2. Injury management will be crucial at the tail end of the season.
    3. League 1 teams are so Jekyll and Hyde. Walsall were dreadful, yet could have exchanged league positions with us last night. How have they gained so many points? I wouldn't swap a single one of their players for one of ours.

This could turn into a very good season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Delighted with the victory and those three much needed points. Sounds like Walsall were very similar to Doncaster, who were burnt out after a great start to the season. Especially, pleased with us winning back to back matches on Saturday Tuesday after listening to Bowyers interview on Sunday.

Big respect for Taylor continuing to step up and take penalties. It sounds like Fosu played well and hopefully he will kick on for the rest of the season.

Big shame that we have lost enough two players to injury. At least we’ve only got two league matches in a month, hopefully, we will have a couple players back by then.

If we can stick with Barnsley and Posh in the league we will be very close come May. I do think we are one of the top 5 teams in this league. Let’s hope we can kick on and build a gap between us and 7th.

COYR
  • Options
    Keeping clean sheets is a good sign - perhaps the 5-3 defeat at Scunny was our low point.

Two good wins and in the playoff places - excellent work. Need to keep players injury free.
  • Options
    Clean sheets are very important to our season.
  • Options

Clean sheets are very important to our season.

The promising thing about the last two games is that we've closed the games out pretty comfortably. We've looked nervous and likely to capitulate in some of the other games.
  • Options

Enjoyed the game.
    Unusually, I never thought we would lose before or during the game.
    Pleasantly surprised not to concede as was expecting a typical nervy last ten but it didn't happen.
    A great team performance, Bowyer really growing into management and I hope he has many years ahead with us as stability is the key to our resurrection.
    Observations.
    1. We will be in the play offs again this year.
    2. Injury management will be crucial at the tail end of the season.
    3. League 1 teams are so Jekyll and Hyde. Walsall were dreadful, yet could have exchanged league positions with us last night. How have they gained so many points? I wouldn't swap a single one of their players for one of ours.

This could turn into a very good season.

I think they've had a start to a season that is typical for so many lower budget teams

Either you start really well and continue that form on for the season like what Shrewsbury did last year

Or you get found out and slowly slip back down the table which I guess is what'll happen with Walsall on present form
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Could only happen to us! Good trivia question for a future quiz.
  • Options

Are you really out for 3 months with a dislocated shoulder ?? I thought it was pop it back in followed by a few weeks rest.

As for the game itself. I was out on a date last night & picked up a text from Golfie Jnr at 11pm as I got back to the car. Can't remember the last time we won a game in hand, away, on a tues night.....did Riga manage it ??

2-3 months I'd say. I did it many years ago but it wasn't a very serious one, managed to pop it back in myself. Couldn't move my arm away from body for weeks though.
  • Options

You can't blame Roland for dislocated shoulders
  • Options
    edited November 2018

JaShea99 said:

Get in. Another clean sheet? Is that 4 in 6?

3 in 5 league clean sheets for Steer. 2 goals conceeded in 4 games.
    Hopefully, everyone blaming Steer now realise they were mistaken :smile:
    My 95 year old nan couldve kept a clean sheet against them last night.
  • Options

I dislocated mine as a kid playing rugby and was back within 4 weeks. I know some dislocations are more complicated than others but 3 months seems excessive.