Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Walsall v Charlton

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I think Pompey are the likely champions but they are not as good as Wigan and Blackburn were last year. I feel Sunderland are good enough to beat the rubbish teams whilst not being that good themselves. It will be hard to make the top two, especially as the squad is a bit fragile in certain positions. We will need a fair bit of luck in that respect, but there is no way we shouldn't make the play offs!
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Top two will be impossible... Sunderland | Portsmouth | Barnsley two of them if not all three are guaranteed to finish above us I think

Two thirds of the season still to play - just because a few teams are early pacemakers, it means nothing at this stage. Top teams fall away, dark horses make a late run. You see it every single season.

It's not just about ability, it's about consistency.
    It's mindset that wins promotion.

There are never any guarantees in football ..... it's always all to play for.

This. We are 10 points behind Pompey. We’ve yet to play them home and away so that’s 6 of the points taken care so it’s really only a 4 point gap between us.
    So more likely, a 16 point gap :neutral:
  • Options
    What is the Naby song? I'm assuming it's not the old Katrien one?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

What is the Naby song? I'm assuming it's not the old Katrien one?

Good heavens no , it was the Lawrie Wilson one 'He used to be sh1te but now he's alright' . I never joined in mind :-)
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Top two will be impossible... Sunderland | Portsmouth | Barnsley two of them if not all three are guaranteed to finish above us I think

Two thirds of the season still to play - just because a few teams are early pacemakers, it means nothing at this stage. Top teams fall away, dark horses make a late run. You see it every single season.

This. We are 10 points behind Pompey. We’ve yet to play them home and away so that’s 6 of the points taken care so it’s really only a 4 point gap between us.
    No, it’s a 4 point gap and this team will close that and then start to open up its own lead. We are a far better team than when we played them at their ground last season and the away support that day was phenomenal. We have the advantage before we even play them.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Exactly. It's all about timing. We just need to stay in touch and start winning matches when it matters. Look at Plymouth last year; top of the table virtually all season and what happened? Think Posh will also fall away and how Coventry have climbed so high is a mystery - thought they were the worst team I have seen so far.
    We are more than capable of bashing any team in this league. Would be great to get a fully fit squad with one or two signings in January to get us over the line or at least into the play-offs.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Anyone remember that glorious season just a bit over 20 years ago, when Millwall were top of the Championship at the beginning of December ....... then managed to get themselves relegated!

The famous 'Morts in the snow' Charlton win at the New Den might have had something to do with it! :smiley:

No guarantees. All to play for!

• Options

Oggy Red said:

No, it’s a 4 point gap and this team will close that and then start to open up its own lead. We are a far better team than when we played them at their ground last season and the away support that day was phenomenal. We have the advantage before we even play them.
    What I am liking is that the last two victories have been comfortable and not lucky in any way. I think this is teh level where you can put a genuine run together that does some damage. If the result is reliant too much on a bit of good luck, bad luck will also affect you in close to equal measure. It is a bit too early to get carried away, but we have imposed our greater ability on Doncaster and Walsall - but we must remember both of these were in the middle of a bad patch. Let's see if we can keep this going.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Anyone remember that glorious season just a bit over 20 years ago, when Millwall were top of the Championship at the beginning of December ....... then managed to get themselves relegated!

The famous 'Morts in the snow' Charlton win at the New Den might have had something to do with it! :smiley:

We had a K Grant that day as well! Indeed his finest hour in a Charlton shirt!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Oggy Red said:

I think Millwall were still top at Christmas; there's plenty of info on the web about their implosion that season, including a graph showing the precipitous decline. They didn't descend to the bottom three until the final whistle of the last game of the season...

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Remember how bloody cold it was that night. Am I right in stating that it was just before Mick M. left for the Ireland job?
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Oggy Red said:

Remember how bloody cold it was that night. Am I right in stating that it was just before Mick M. left for the Ireland job?
    That shows what a good job McCarthy was doing there, the way they collapsed after he left!

• Options
    That shows what a good job McCarthy was doing there, the way they collapsed after he left!

Just like Ipswich?
  • Options
    Kevin Nolan's match report.
    Shaking off their usual Tuesday evening blues, Charlton made full use of their game in hand in adding a second comfortable 2-0 victory to the possibly pivotal dismissal of Doncaster Rovers three days previously.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-suffer-no-midweek-hitch-aside-from-two-more-injuries-to-jump-back-into-play-off-zone/